Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Regarding people selling PS4s and Xbox Ones on Adverts

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Johngoose wrote: »
    Let me guess you are some cocky, well educated and smug individual, who has never encountered economic hardship? You went to a good secondary school and university?A bit conceited about ourselves are we?

I think the Wrong Boat just sailed and you were on it mate.
    Wow.
    So wrong, on so many counts.
    Way to go personalising the discussion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭ebbsy

o1s1n wrote: »
    FYP :P

:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Next year I'm going to follow the Adverts model, buy up all the Turkeys, drive the price up and sell them all for a 100% markup, on Adverts. ;)

I just hope no one switches allegiances to goose in the meantime :(

Capitalism FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Next year I'm going to follow the Adverts model, buy up all the Turkeys, drive the price up and sell them all for a 100% markup, on Adverts. ;)

I just hope no one switches allegiances to goose in the meantime :(

Capitalism FTW!

I'll corner the pheasant market in case any of those suckers get any bright ideas.

Sure it's capitalism. The way of the world and soforth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well yeah, capitalism is great.. because people could just buy goose or steak or ham or whatever other meat option a capitalist economy provides

jesus you hippies are as bad as the gougers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 JD1KENOBI

donegal. wrote: »
    they could have added on €50 or €100 profit and that would be fine, they're entitled to earn some money to pay for their own christmas.

its the feckers adding on €300 or €350 preying on desperate parents that i'd like to see fail.[/quote

I saw a ps4 on adverts two weeks ago .the seller wanted €1500 for it and stated in his defence "demand commands price its my add and i can charge what i want"
    He was laughed at by most comments for bieng a dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Arrow.

Just saw a funny ad - PS4 for 850e.

You better get your offers in quick though - "there was a very interested party viewing it yesterday". Ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As a matter of interest, are the pro gouging camp also pro ticket touts?

Can folks not just simply live by the 'don't be a dick' life rule? I've found it's stood by me thus far.

well yeah, capitalism is great.. because people could just buy goose or steak or ham or whatever other meat option a capitalist economy provides

jesus you hippies are as bad as the gougers

At least no one is putting their money behind tofu....

On an alternative note
    Be interesting to see how much Apple and Android make over the Christmas period in terms of sales of apps and games, I wonder how it compares to the regular console market.
    Apologies to the OP for thread derailing, so sorry to myself so!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

I can sleep soundly while Santa puts some PS4 games under my tree tonight, sure i might not have made 300 quid on my PS4...but at least i made the nice list this year! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I just don't understand adverts.ie policy of encouraging this kind of behaviour but if someone tries to do the same thing with a ticket, then they're instantly banned. What's the difference?

I just don't understand adverts.ie policy of encouraging this kind of behaviour but if someone tries to do the same thing with a ticket, then they're instantly banned. What's the difference?

+ they have banned people who left negative comments on ads....i guess that €5 premium ad is making all the decisions,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

This guy isn't going too far with the gouging, but he was offered the price he paid and refused, so he's definitely looking to profit?

This guy isn't going too far with the gouging, but he was offered the price he paid and refused, so he's definitely looking to profit?

Is that not against Adverts rules, if you meet the stated asking price the seller must accept and not ask for more...no :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭elWizard

As a matter of interest, are the pro gouging camp also pro ticket touts?
    I can only speak for myself, I'm not "pro ticket touts" but I accept that they are a fact of life and always will be. Small potatoes compared with (in my personal opinion) bookmakers, boiler room stock brokers, hedge fund managers, giant corporations who connive to (legally) pay very little tax etc etc.
    I've only ever used them myself in an instance where I'd a ticket for someone who couldn't show. i got less than half the face value, but that's life, it was better than a total loss.
    You could say I was 'pro-choice' about them. Hmm now where have I heard that term before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

jenjenten wrote: »
    Is that not against Adverts rules, if you meet the stated asking price the seller must accept and not ask for more...no :confused:

I worded my post badly, in the ad it states s/he paid €440 at, s/he wants €540. Someone offered the €440, if s/he really wants to sell (as the add claims) I don't understand why s/he would reject the offer?

If I buy something, and regret the purchase I'd be pretty happy to break even.

Can folks not just simply live by the 'don't be a dick' life rule? I've found it's stood by me thus far.
    And I'm sorry, I'm not singling you out, or trying to start a fight (it's Christmas!) but I think this statement is pretty immodest. Are you saying you've never ever been a dick? Not even a tiny bit, once? Ach you're probably being tongue-in-cheek anyway.:)

'Don't be a dick' doesn't really work anyway. As clearly from this thread we have different standards for 'dickishness'. It's just a nice if pretty unworkable variation on The Golden Rule. Treat others as you want them to treat you. Which is not in any way incompatible with 'sell a product for the highest price a buyer will give you for it'.

Probably dragging this thread even further off tangent, I was called 'amoral' yesterday, or my actions were, and I thought that was interesting. I wasn't insulted or anything, but it made me realise why I've quite a bit to say on this thread. Because beyond selling guns or drugs to minors (which you should never do!) you're unfortunately on extremely shaky ground when you expect morality to come into the marketplace. Read about Tesco's business practices and then ask if it's 'moral' (or 'not dickish') to shop there? Shop on Amazon this Christmas? They're brilliant aren't they, super fast and always the cheapest! Except lots of stories are coming out lately about what dicks they are, terrible employers, destroyers of competition, tax avoiders. So is it moral to shop there? George Monbiot would say it is immoral, from an enviromental point of view, to fly in a plane. I still do, somewhat guiltily. So, a bit of perspective please on predictable human behaviour that's not new and not going anywhere; and come down of your high horses please. I've yet to meet anyone who could survive that sort of scrutiny!

I worded my post badly, in the ad it states s/he paid €440 at, s/he wants €540. Someone offered the €440, if s/he really wants to sell (as the add claims) I don't understand why s/he would reject the offer?

If I buy something, and regret the purchase I'd be pretty happy to break even.

But isint that the issue?...these guys are not just trying to recoup the money they spent, they want a big profit on top of that. As i said if the asking prices were reasonale....say a 50 Euro profit....they would sell.

Its disturbing to see 5 pages of PS4 ads, most cropped up over the weekend....shops must have got stock in and the scalpers cleaned them out!

How many kiddies wont have a PS4 from Santa this year? :(

I judge people by my own moral compass....
    elWizard wrote: »
    And I'm sorry, I'm not singling you out, or trying to start a fight (it's Christmas!) but I think this statement is pretty immodest. Are you saying you've never ever been a dick? Not even a tiny bit, once? Ach you're probably being tongue-in-cheek anyway.:)

'Don't be a dick' doesn't really work anyway. As clearly from this thread we have different standards for 'dickishness'. It's just a nice if pretty unworkable variation on The Golden Rule. Treat others as you want them to treat you. Which is not in any way incompatible with 'sell a product for the highest price a buyer will give you for it'.

Probably dragging this thread even further off tangent, I was called 'amoral' yesterday, or my actions were, and I thought that was interesting. I wasn't insulted or anything, but it made me realise why I've quite a bit to say on this thread. Because beyond selling guns or drugs to minors (which you should never do!) you're unfortunately on extremely shaky ground when you expect morality to come into the marketplace. Read about Tesco's business practices and then ask if it's 'moral' (or 'not dickish') to shop there? Shop on Amazon this Christmas? They're brilliant aren't they, super fast and always the cheapest! Except lots of stories are coming out lately about what dicks they are, terrible employers, destroyers of competition, tax avoiders. So is it moral to shop there? George Monbiot would say it is immoral, from an enviromental point of view, to fly in a plane. I still do, somewhat guiltily. So, a bit of perspective please on predictable human behaviour that's not new and not going anywhere; and come down of your high horses please. I've yet to meet anyone who could survive that sort of scrutiny!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,063 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You could say I was 'pro-choice' about them. Hmm now where have I heard that term before?

...now we're equating it with abortion legislation? That's it folks, discussion has officially gone cuckoo, I'm out :)

...after I answer this. When it comes to online communities, such as adverts, the trading sub forums on boards and other forums I frequent then no, I never engage in 'dickish' behaviour. It's not the same environment as big business, therefore I try to help other folks out by offering them fair amounts for items and likewise, selling items at fair prices. It's an online community, not a stock market.

If your main aim is to buy up an item and sell it on at crazy prices during the Christmas season with a goal of purely exploiting people out of money, then I don't think your business model has any place on Adverts.ie.

It didn't in the past officially, but sadly Adverts has been on quite the downward slope for the last few years. This kind of behaviour makes it an even worse place to trade.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,309 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sounds more like you're trying to justify things to yourself more than anyone else. I didn't say what you did was amoral btw, I said you were bound to know many people would think it is.

...now we're equating it with abortion legislation? That's it folks, discussion has officially gone cuckoo, I'm out :)

If your main aim is to buy up an item and sell it on at crazy prices during the Christmas season with a goal of purely exploiting people out of money, then I don't think your business model has any place on Adverts.ie.
    to be fair, you were playing a similar semantic game to the one 'pro-lifers' play, that was the only link I was making. No-one is realistically 'pro-ticket touts' or 'pro-gougers'. You either get annoyed by them, or don't, and you either use their services, or you don't. I don't think about them, ever.

And for the record i'm not unsympathetic to the view that buying a product you don't want in the hope that short supplies means you can make a massive profit off someone who does isn't cool. (and no that doesnt mean I wouldn't sell my own PS4 if someone offers me the right price for it, the price that's right for me, and the price that's right for the buyer. The market price). I'm no Randian, free-market worshipper, but I trust in this case that The Market will sort itself out, 750 euro PS4s AFAIK are not selling and likely never will.
    I just wanted to add some balance to a thread that started as a celebration of 'schadenfrude' (spell?). Jaysus, now there is a pointless emotion. I'd rather live in a world with less 'schadenfrude' (spell?) than a world without opportunistic sellers, and it's a more realistic goal too.:) Happy Christmas.

I'd think it best to be non personal on the thread tbh.
    It is exploitation, pure and simple, to buy up all the stock that was destined to legitimate buyers and engage in profit making reselling.
    If you wanted badly enough to preorder it I reckon it's unlikely you then decided you'd sell it for profit, I know of at least one person who sold his at the price he bought it for.
    It is gross manipulation of the market by individuals to make money off of the people at Christmas.
    It's a practice that earns derisory headlines in the newspapers when Tesco or the like manipulate suppliers for bigger profit.

Don't dress it up as somehow acceptable behaviour.
    It's not.
    It's only okay on Adverts because they make a profit themselves, otherwise it would be a bannable practice, like ticket touting.

That's my ten cents in a nutshell.
    If you sold one and made a big profit I know none of this will matter to you.
    The exploitation of others probably won't cause you a moments concern.
    But please, don't gripe when its your turn for something important to you, and someone doubles the price because of a self created demand, meaning you do without.

Do onto others indeed.

Merry Saturnalia to you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'm not overly bothered by someone selling their PS4 (or concert tickets) for profit. You need a buyer as well as a seller and being honest having a PS4 is a luxury, it's not as if it's something people need. If they want to spend their money on it, that's their business really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Greyfox

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It is exploitation, pure and simple...
    It is gross manipulation of the market by individuals to make money off of the people at Christmas.
    Don't dress it up as somehow acceptable behaviour.
    It's not.
    I say fair play to anybody who had the foresight to see that people would be stupid enough to pay €700 for a new console, I didn’t think anybody would. I think it’s perfectly acceptable to take advantage of obvious stupidity or parents who allow children to control their buying decisions, it would be very different if it wasn’t a luxury item that nobody needs. To call it exploitation and manipulation is going too far, parents should have the guts to stand up to their childrens demands

Greyfox wrote: »
    I say fair play to anybody who had the foresight to see that people would be stupid enough to pay €700 for a new console, I didn’t think anybody would. I think it’s perfectly acceptable to take advantage of obvious stupidity or parents who allow children to control their buying decisions, it would be very different if it wasn’t a luxury item that nobody needs. To call it exploitation and manipulation is going too far, parents should have the guts to stand up to their childrens demands

But the shortage would not exist if the scalpers were taken out of the equation....they have created the shortage buy buying up all the stock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Was in the local GAME today (Newry), they had some PS4's and a bunch of Xbox Ones. Not sure if its stock that just came in or if it was because they'd only just reopened. Not sure if other shops have been restocked since the initial launch ?

So, is it time to preorder the 4DS then? ;)
    Happy Christmas!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Well all scalpers with stock now just have a second hand console and their market is gone. Looks like most will make a loss now :)

Advertisement