Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UnionPay in Ireland (ICBC)

Options
  • 23-12-2013 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Huge shot in the dark here but I was wondering if anyone who's lived in China had any success withdrawing money from ATMs or using a POS terminal (swiping your UnionPay debit card)?

Living in Shanghai and just back for Christmas. I enquired with both ICBC (my bank) and UnionPay (http://cf.juggle-images.com/matte/white/280x280/china-unionpay-logo-primary.jpg) before I left and was told by both I'd be fine withdrawing money here. That is not the case :rolleyes:

Also, according to ICBC I cannot transfer money to my Irish bank account as it's all in RMB. It 'must be in USD or EUR'

Is there any other option open to me? I'll survive on a loan and have to pay it back from Shanghai but obviously I'd rather have my own cash.

Thanks anyway

Advertisement