Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow on the lug?!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Alun wrote: »
    Wicklow CC and Glen of Imaal MRT both saying it's impassable along with the approach roads.

Yea, not surprising at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 majestic0110

Plenty of snow on the Lug this weekend alright:
    You can see some of my images on my blog post here: https://phillipjwellsphotographyblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/a-white-lugnaquilla-episode-ii/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Plenty of snow on the Lug this weekend alright:
    You can see some of my images on my blog post here: https://phillipjwellsphotographyblog.wordpress.com/2017/12/11/a-white-lugnaquilla-episode-ii/

Was this Saturday or Sunday? Would expect it was saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 majestic0110

CardinalJ wrote: »
    Was this Saturday or Sunday? Would expect it was saturday?
    Saturday, I wanted to be able to see :) - Sunday = whiteout

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Was thinking of buying snowchains to be able to head up there in these conditions - would they do me on a passat TDI? Got a car stuck out in Chrone one time a couple of years back and had to abandon, wouldn't like to repeat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

a148pro wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying snowchains to be able to head up there in these conditions - would they do me on a passat TDI? Got a car stuck out in Chrone one time a couple of years back and had to abandon, wouldn't like to repeat

Be sensible and avoid the likes of Sally's Gap until the snow and ice has gone. Snow Chains are intended to aid you if you have to be driving in the ice or snow, they are not intended to let you go out on jollyers or Sunday drives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

Yeah I appreciate that - its not really to drive, its just to get safely up into the snow with my kid. I wouldn't drive those roads with a kid in the car, or in general I suppose, if there was heavy snow in the mountains. Not so mad on Sally gap specifically, but getting up and down Cruagh for instance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Snowchains on ordinary cars are best used, afaik, on roads that have a good covering of compacted snow. If the snow is deep and undriven, then your ordinary car will get stuck anyway. If the snow/ice is patchy with tarmac showing, then you'll wear the chains fairly quickly. Question is, how often do we get a sustained snow event here with roads that have a good layer of compacted snow?

Advertisement