Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire at the Spinnaker

Options
  • 23-12-2013 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭

The Spinnaker was reportedly "gutted" in a fire during the early hours of Sunday morning.

I hadn't heard anything about it. When I passed that way on Sunday evening around 5:30 there was a unit there, and I thought the incident had just happened. They were probably mopping up and checking for hazards etc.

According to the report, three units of Galway fire brigade and one from Athenry fought the blaze, which makes it sound like a major fire.

Link: http://www.connachttribune.ie/breaking-news/29083-salthill-premises-gutted-in-fire

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

the front of the building looks fine. however the roof caved in on the back of the building with the fire. It hasn't been "gutted" as such - it's still standing..well the front bit anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I hope this doesn't have any effect on the planning extension sought, which is to be decided in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

The fire was caused by a lightning strike, apparently.

http://www.connachttribune.ie/galway-news/item/2000-barking-dog-saves-owner

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I went for a walk along the rocks by the gold course and had a hard time spotting the damage at first. Then I realized the conservatory in the back was missing a roof and I was seeing straight through to exposed blocks. It didn't look catastrophic from outside, but I could imagine the fire damage inside could have been serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

newkie wrote: »
    I went for a walk along the rocks by the gold course and had a hard time spotting the damage at first. Then I realized the conservatory in the back was missing a roof and I was seeing straight through to exposed blocks. It didn't look catastrophic from outside, but I could imagine the fire damage inside could have been serious.

That's actually where the man was sleeping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement