Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your Team of the 13/14 Season So Far?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Raf32 wrote: »
    :pac:

It's either or depending on preference. They're on the same level...you'd be blind to think otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

MR NINE wrote: »
    Some crazy picks in here, mad how differently people view things. I'm surprised to see Johnny Evans in so many teams, there've been some far more impressive centre backs this season, its between Mertesacker, Jagielka and Lovren IMO. Sakho is an odd one as well, he's been very good in the past 3 games, but he hasn't played enough to be included. Gerrard is also an outrageous inclusion, most Liverpool fans have been slightly disappointed by him this season I would have thought.

My team:

Howard

Shaw
    Mertesacker
    Jagielka
    Zabaleta

Toure
    Ramsey
    Barkley

Rooney
    Aguero
    Suarez

Honourable mentions to Coleman, Lallana, Sturridge, Lovren & Lukaku

Yup Gerrard is an outrageous inclusion but not much more than your inclusion of Barkley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ah the old insult those who don't share the same opinion as me :rolleyes:

Özil miles ahead IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Gerrard ahead of Ramsey? I thought you said you've seen a lot of arsenal games?

I've seen less Liverpool games admittedly but he was definitely the best Pool player the ones I have seen, but ya I could easily swap him for someone else. Ramsey's a strange one for me, he's scored a lot of goals but I've never thought he's played wonderfully consistently. I think Flamini has done a more important job in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

mosstin wrote: »
    Yup Gerrard is an outrageous inclusion but not much more than your inclusion of Barkley.

It was between Barkley, Barry & Lallana for me. Possibly Cabaye, though I honestly haven't seen a lot of him I just know he's been scoring goals and getting quite a lot of praise lately. I wanted to choose a centre mid for the sake of balance rather than opt for Ozil or Hazard. Even Lallana would have probably been an imbalanced selection. Who would you have chosen? Do you think Barkley hasn't been good this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Paully D wrote: »
    Lallana and Cabaye are not wingers in a 4-4-2 though. It would be a lot easier not to include Ozil if we were all to put players in their wrong positions just for the sake of fitting them in.

Ozil is in many teams because he's played on the sides quite a bit and has a record far superior to any other wide player in the league this year with the exception of Hazard.

To be honest, I wasn't strictly putting together that team position wise, just defenders, midfielders and strikers. Personally I wouldn't have Ozil on the wings for an entire season, he's ok there sometimes but at Madrid he had a lot of poor games there for them, despite the fact some people seem to think he never had a bad game for Real.

I'd have Hazard ahead of Ozil if i was picking wingers, but I've seen a fair few matches this season where Hazard just hasn't influenced like it seems he should be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Corholio wrote: »
    I've seen less Liverpool games admittedly but he was definitely the best Pool player the ones I have seen.

He's arguably been their least influential player this season. They have improved since he got injured. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team of the season.

MR NINE wrote: »
    It was between Barkley, Barry & Lallana for me. Possibly Cabaye, though I honestly haven't seen a lot of him I just know he's been scoring goals and getting quite a lot of praise lately. I wanted to choose a centre mid for the sake of balance rather than opt for Ozil or Hazard. Even Lallana would have probably been an imbalanced selection. Who would you have chosen? Do you think Barkley hasn't been good this season?

Barkley is the darling of the English press right now. Whilst he's clearly a gifted footballer he's not even been Everton's best midfielder this season. Putting him into the team of the season then is a stretch, but it's your selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ozil hasn't shown the form of a €50m player imo. Pretty quiet against United, Chelsea, City. Don't remember if he did much against Liverpool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Other than the fact that he's been outperformed by Howard, Krul and Mignolet, absolutely nothing. Other than that he's the best.

I think you might be misunderstanding the 'YOUR' part of 'Your Team of the season so far.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

RasTa wrote: »
    Ozil hasn't shown the form of a €50m player imo. Pretty quiet against United, Chelsea, City. Don't remember if he did much against Liverpool
    Spot on; he seems to have a tendency to go missing against the ''bigger'' sides, at least in the PL. Did nothing in any of the games you listed. Indeed, the only contribution of note against us was him getting a bolloc ticking off from Mertesacker at FT. £42m? Ouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,575 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Did you watch the Arsenal game? Perfect example of what makes Yaya so great. Can do it all from the 1st to 90th minute.
    Yeah, just strikes me as a player who does it in spectacular spurts within a game rather than consistent performance, IMO Fernandinho does alot of the work that Toure gets the credit for. Toure is definitely one of the better players in the Premiership, there is no question about that. I still think he is slightly less good than a large number of other people seem to think though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

blueser wrote: »
    £42m? Ouch.

Ridiculous statement. When Gareth Bale goes for twice that, 42m for a player like Ozil is a bargain.

Ridiculous statement. When Gareth Bale goes for twice that, 42m for a player like Ozil is a bargain.
    Not at all. No way is Ozil worth £42m, no more than Bale was worth £85m after one standout season for Spurs. It's the crazy inflated transfer market these days. You happen to disagree; fair enough. We'll have to agree to differ on this. As it happens, I think Ozil is potentially a better player than Bale, but Bale had one of those seasons last year; everything he hit went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

GK: Mignolet

RB: Coleman
    CB: Mertesacker
    CB: Koscielny
    LB: Shaw

CM: Ramsey
    CM: Yaya Toure
    CM: Barry

CF: Rooney

ST: Aguero
    ST: Suarez

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Barkley is the darling of the English press right now. Whilst he's clearly a gifted footballer he's not even been Everton's best midfielder this season. Putting him into the team of the season then is a stretch, but it's your selection.

All three of Evertons centre mids have been very good. I've watched 6 or 7 Everton games this season, so I may have missed a lot, but Barkley has stood out in every one of them. He was excellent against Liverpool and Arsenal and has been influential for Everton in a few games this season, scoring important goals etc.

I'm well aware of the English medias tendency to over rate everything English, and just coz hes being overhyped, doesn't mean he isn't playing well. Lallana and Shaw are both severely overhyped by the English media in my opinion, but it doesn't mean they're not good footballers.

Anyway, out of curiosity, who would you put in at centre mid ahead of him?

Not at all. No way is Ozil worth £42m, no more than Bale was worth £85m after one standout season for Spurs. It's the crazy inflated transfer market these days. You happen to disagree; fair enough. We'll have to agree to differ on this. As it happens, I think Ozil is potentially a better player than Bale, but Bale had one of those seasons last year; everything he hit went in.
    That's the transfer market these days. When Fernandinho costs 34m, Falcao 50m, Neymar 56m, 42m for the best creator in Europe doesn't look so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

RasTa wrote: »
    Didn't he set up two goals against city?
    Definitely one, at least. What more could he do?

He also played excellently against Dortmund, who after City were the best team we played this year. And he was great in the first Napoli game.

That's the transfer market these days. When Fernandinho costs 34m, Falcao 50m, Neymar 56m, 42m for the best creator in Europe doesn't look so bad.
    That's what I said in my post. Players are not worth the sort of money that's being shelled out. Fern has been fantastic for us, but £34m? Sorry, no. Same goes for Ozil. A very good player (again, as I said), but he hasn't shown consistently that he's worth £42m.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

That's what I said in my post. Players are not worth the sort of money that's being shelled out. Fern has been fantastic for us, but £34m? Sorry, no. Same goes for Ozil. A very good player (again, as I said), but he hasn't shown consistently that he's worth £42m.

Ozil has shown over the last 4 years or so that he's worth £42m. He hasn't hit his best form at Arsenal yet but he's contributed plenty and everyone knows what he's capable of. I doubt Arsenal regret spending it on him.

Didn't he set up two goals against city?
    Definitely one, at least. What more could he do?

He also played excellently against Dortmund, who after City were the best team we played this year. And he was great in the first Napoli game.

He had one assist v City.

Dortmund lost again to Hertha BSC on the weekend, draw with Hoffenheim previously so beating them this season is no great result.

7 points behind Leverkusen for example.

Anyway he had a good start but I would be slightly disappointed if I was an Arsenal fan considering his return so far in the league. So defo not in my team of the year(so far)

Players are worth what teams deem them worth, not you. If this is the way the market is going then that's what players will cost.

And if having the most assists (consistently) isn't showing worth, tell me what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

A lot of people have put in Ozil to their teams of the season and he has gotten a lot of rave reviews in the media but has he done it in the big games? Against United, City and Chelsea when Arsenal really needed him to make a mark on the game he went missing. A marquee signing is meant to make the difference in those type of games. Compare his performances in those games to RVP last season. RVP was signed to be the man who would make the difference. He scored v Arsenal (home and away) Liverpool (home and away) , Chelsea and scored the decisive goal against City to justify his price tag. Aguero and Suarez have done the business v the big teams. In the second half of the season Ozil has to grab these type of games by the scruff of the neck

n32 wrote: »
    A lot of people have put in Ozil to their teams of the season and he has gotten a lot of rave reviews in the media but has he done it in the big games? Against United, City and Chelsea when Arsenal really needed him to make a mark on the game he went missing. A marquee signing is meant to make the difference in those type of games. Compare his performances in those games to RVP last season. RVP was signed to be the man who would make the difference. He scored v Arsenal (home and away) Liverpool (home and away) , Chelsea and scored the decisive goal against City to justify his price tag. Aguero and Suarez have done the business v the big teams. In the second half of the season Ozil has to grab these type of games by the scruff of the neck
    It is great when a player does perform in those games, but I'd settle for my 50 million to be phenomenal in the other 16 games if I could even get that. Getting alot from a player in the first season can be difficult regardless of how big the price. Ozil has been immense with that considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

CSF wrote: »
    It is great when a player does perform in those games, but I'd settle for my 50 million to be phenomenal in the other 16 games if I could even get that. Getting alot from a player in the first season can be difficult regardless of how big the price. Ozil has been immense with that considered.

The way I d look at it is that the top teams should have enough to get over the mid table teams and the relegation scrappers but its for the games against the really elite teams that you pay the big money for a player who can make the difference in those matches. Considering how tight the league is at the moment, every game between a top 8 team is nearly a 6 pointer so you need players who can win those games a la RVP aguero, suarez, henry, ronaldo etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

beno619 wrote: »
    He's arguably been their least influential player this season. They have improved since he got injured. He shouldn't be anywhere near the team of the season.

What a complete untrue statement.

Have you watched every game Steven Gerrard has played this season for Liverpool.?

Because if you watch Football/Liverpool games, to say Gerrard is the least influential player this season is so far from the truth.

Gerrard has played nearly 1500 minutes on the pitch and has 3 goals & 7 assists.

Now forget defenders but Lucas, Henderson, Allen, Coutinho, Sterling or Moses all have worst stats this season than Gerrard,

So again i would have to ask do you watch Football.?

Now don't get me wrong i would not have Gerrard in my team of the season it's just your statment is a complete joke TBF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

James McCarthy has been the most quietly effective player in the premiership this season since he joined Everton.

Bargain buy of the season so far for €12 million

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Howard

Coleman
    Mertesacker
    Koscielny
    Shaw

Ramsey
    Yaya Toure
    Hazard
    Lallana

Aguero
    Suarez

Has Suarez performed in big games? Not this season. Anonymous against Arsenal, banned against Utd. The other two big games are coming up, I guess, but so far he's done less than Ozil (who was good against Pool, against City, and against Dortmund, and poor against Chelsea and Utd).

Arsenal didn't lose to City because the attack underperformed, but because the midfield and defence couldn't stop City from scoring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    James McCarthy has been the most quietly effective player in the premiership this season since he joined Everton.

In fairness, when you spend €12m on a player you want him to be effective. He's doing very well but €12m is not a bargain buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Mignolet

Coleman
    Distin
    Lovren
    Davies

Cabaye
    Ramsey
    Yaya Toure

Rooney

Aguero
    Suarez

Has Suarez performed in big games? Not this season. Anonymous against Arsenal, banned against Utd. The other two big games are coming up, I guess, but so far he's done less than Ozil (who was good against Pool, against City, and against Dortmund, and poor against Chelsea and Utd).

Arsenal didn't lose to City because the attack underperformed, but because the midfield and defence couldn't stop City from scoring.

So in answering your own question you confirm that he's been under par against one of the better sides and that's enough for you to say that he hasn't performed?
    Spurs at WHL is a big game and he almost single handedly destroyed them. Suarez's pedigree isn't and shouldn't be in question. Phenomenal player and by some distance the best in the PL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

scored against Everton which is a big game

n32 wrote: »
    The way I d look at it is that the top teams should have enough to get over the mid table teams and the relegation scrappers but its for the games against the really elite teams that you pay the big money for a player who can make the difference in those matches. Considering how tight the league is at the moment, every game between a top 8 team is nearly a 6 pointer so you need players who can win those games a la RVP aguero, suarez, henry, ronaldo etc
    Quite often it is not the 50 million players who make the difference in these games, I mean it would be great if players performed in every game, but your number 10 playmaker player can quite often not be suited to these games, take the Arsenal vs Chelsea game for example. The teams can be so cagey with neither team willing to take any risks with their shape, meaning those players who use brawn rather than brain will almost always have the more productive performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,984 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very surprised at the lack of Rooney in most teams.

Begovic

Coleman Mertesacker Jagielka Shaw

Yaya Cabaye Ramsey

Rooney

Suarez Aguero

Has Suarez performed in big games? Not this season. Anonymous against Arsenal, banned against Utd. T

Solid 1 game sample size although think he did play against us in the league cup which I was at but don't remember him doing much. There is zero question about his performances though.

So in answering your own question you confirm that he's been under par against one of the better sides and that's enough for you to say that he hasn't performed?
    Spurs at WHL is a big game and he almost single handedly destroyed them. Suarez's pedigree isn't and shouldn't be in question. Phenomenal player and by some distance the best in the PL.

Spurs, for all their delusions of grandeur, aren't a big side.

I was just raising the same issue people seem to be raising about Ozil with less reason.

I personally agree Suarez has been the best player in the league this year, and his ability is without question. I think the same is true of Ozil's ability, and that a lot of people are talking utter ****e in doubting it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Paully D wrote: »
    In fairness, when you spend €12m on a player you want him to be effective. He's doing very well but €12m is not a bargain buy.

Compared to some other players in the league bought for more and not performing as well in the same time frame i.e. upon just joining the club, bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

nice_guy80 wrote: »

This. Barry has recieved all the press due to his nationality. He's been very successful but McCarthy is the driving force.

Team (ironically McCarthy doesn't make it)

Schesnzy
    Coleman
    Koschielney
    Disitn
    Shaw
    Silva
    Toure
    Ozil
    Harzad
    Suarez
    Augero

4-4-2