Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crisis - What Crisis?

Options
  • 23-12-2013 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Our next 2 games are West Brom and Stoke at home. Both winnable for sure.

If we win these games we will be on 36 points after 19 games - just 2 points shy of 2 points a game.

We finished last year with 72 points, our best points total in the Premier League era.

I know we have had issues this year but with the talent we have in the squad I think things can only get better from here. If we get a good manager quickly I can see us buying another striker and defender in January too.

We may not get top 4 with the way everything is bunching at the top between 6-7 teams but I can see us right there at the finish.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Steady on. We have a reputation for been deluded so lets not start clapping ourselves on the back just yet. We were in full crisis mode a week ago and we've had one win, thats all.

I agree with the comments about the talented squad but its looking increasingly likely that we wont be appointing a long term manager which is going to have an effect on the team from now to end of term and who is going to want to sign for a team with no manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

Just pointing out that it could be an awful lot worse

We are on a run rate of our best points haul while generally being regarded to be in meltdown.

If we get our stuff together it could be a very good season.

yeah, season is far from a write-off.
    I suppose chelski did show that an interim manager can work to a degree.
    If we can get the defense back to the way it was in Aug/Sept that will be a huge step in the right direction.

So half way thru the season, everyone has played each other and this is how it stands around us

Newcastle 33 points -> great season a good outside bet for top 4
    Man United 34 points -> in transition but dark horses for the title apparently
    Liverpool 36 points -> clear title contenders with the greatest player who ever played the game
    Everton 37 points -> best season ever with 5 players on team of the season so far according to Sky

And

Spurs 34 points -> total disappointment and haven't a hope of top 4

Point is considering we have been practically building a new team this year maybe we aren't the no hopers everyone has us pegged for...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭gibbon6

slegs wrote: »
    So half way thru the season, everyone has played each other and this is how it stands around us

Liverpool 36 points -> clear title contenders with the greatest player who ever played the game
    Everton 37 points -> best season ever with 5 players on team of the season so far according to Sky

And

Point is considering we have been practically building a new team this year maybe we aren't the no hopers everyone has us pegged for...

And if we beat Manure like we did last season....well then all is bright and Lilywhite again!!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Utd game will tell allot. I never feel good against them but if we somehow come out of that with a win (id probably take a draw) maybe I'll begin to believe again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Would be a fool to not take a draw before the game.

I really don't think we'll get anything to be honest.

A draw against United would be a good result but they are no great shakes this year so we should go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

A draw against United would be a good result but they are no great shakes this year so we should go for it.

They are building in confidence and I do expect them to be very close to winning the title by the end of the season. This game will be just as hard as any other visit we've made to Old Trafford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

The last time spurs played man united on New Years Day was 1996 and Spurs won 4-1. just sayin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

i remember it was one the 1st games i seen on sky sports.i think it was live too..great omen:D

armstrong x 2:D
    judas x 1:o and superted x`1:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

And

Watch this space!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think Newcastle and Everton in particular have thin squads which could wear them down soon hopefully anyway.

apparently Liverpool have picked up 4 medium term injuries out of yesterdays game including Suarez and Henderson out for at least 4 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

apparently Liverpool have picked up 4 medium term injuries out of yesterdays game including Suarez and Henderson out for at least 4 weeks

Great, I've a ton on with a mate that Everton will finish higher up the table \o/

Don't know how we got away with that midfield selection yestery but we did.
    We won't get away with that MF against united. Also, what's up with 5 changes from the team that played WBA, I was hoping TS would start giving the new lads a spell in the team...

Don't know how we got away with that midfield selection yestery but we did.
    We won't get away with that MF against united. Also, what's up with 5 changes from the team that played WBA, I was hoping TS would start giving the new lads a spell in the team...

We needed a better than the team he put out against WBA, Walker was suspended, Paulinho returned from his, Lennon back from illness and he gave the young lad Fryers a run. We have a huge squad and lots of competitions, we need to be rotating and keeping players happy with runs in the first team. Seems whatever Tim does someones on his back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

It's early days lads, I'm still not convinced.. It's gas, I wouldn't have one of the back 4 from yesterday in the team if all were fit, sign of a good squad I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Hatch99 wrote: »
    It's early days lads, I'm still not convinced.. It's gas, I wouldn't have one of the back 4 from yesterday in the team if all were fit, sign of a good squad I suppose.

Utd tomorrow will tell a lot. If he goes 4-4-2 i expect us to get spanked. Big test for Tim, has he something else in his locker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Utd tomorrow will tell a lot. If he goes 4-4-2 i expect us to get spanked. Big test for Tim, has he something else in his locker?

Bah humbag. 4-4-2 all de way.

• Advertisement

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Bah humbag. 4-4-2 all de way.

The thing about our 442 is that it's really is 451, Ade plays a central role , nearly a no 10 at times. I do hope Tim changes the routine a bit as it's easy predict how we'll set ourselves up to attack and Moyes was at the Stoke game.

Are there posts going AWOL on boards as I'm sure I replied to this thread about 9pm last night (and sadly I was sober).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

ziedth wrote: »
    Utd game will tell allot. I never feel good against them but if we somehow come out of that with a win (id probably take a draw) maybe I'll begin to believe again.

I can't help but get that feeling of hope back. After the pool game I thought that was it. I think that CL is Liverpool's to loose at this point but hipe Suarez will loose his mind and do something crazy abd torpedo their season.

That very well could kill utd off. Certainly for a league challenge but they will be in touch of CL come may unless something wonderful happens.

It's going to be some title race in fairness with the other three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Are there posts going AWOL on boards as I'm sure I replied to this thread about 9pm last night (and sadly I was sober).

I see your problem. Obvious man. Your not drinking enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭ruiseal

ziedth wrote: »
    I can't help but get that feeling of hope back. After the pool game I thought that was it. I think that CL is Liverpool's to loose at this point but hipe Suarez will loose his mind and do something crazy abd torpedo their season.

That very well could kill utd off. Certainly for a league challenge but they will be in touch of CL come may unless something wonderful happens.

It's going to be some title race in fairness with the other three.

lol :D

Advertisement