Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a home for a malnourished Jack Russell

• 23-12-2013 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭

The parents picked up a starving female Jack Russell.

I was thinking of taking her to a charity, but would rather try keeping her a short while til we find a home for her.
    The problem is we don't have a secure garden for such a small dog.

She gets on well enough with other animals, though is a little scared.
    She is extremely friendly but not used to being indoors (was left in a tiny filthy back garden)

Willing to travel to cork/limerick to find a home for her. I'm wondering of the best places to advertise for a home for the dog, or if there's anyone who has a more secure garden willing to take the dog til a home is found?

I think she's about 1-2 years old.

I don't think she has her vaccines either. We really can't afford that right now, are their charities that will pay for that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Get in touch with Munster Lost and Found on FB. Either they or ,<snip>(another Cork-based animal rescue charity) will be able to help.

Some vets might even vaccinate FOC if they know you've found/fostered the dog.

Recommendations of rescues by PM only thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

As most rescues are full I would recommend contacting one or even a few and ask them to put the dog on their waiting list. Some of the rescues may be able to help out with the vet bills if you are able to hold onto the dog for a bit.

The rescues have a bigger profile so reach more people through their facebook pages, website, etc. Good rescues will do home check on the adopters too which is necessary to find a good home. Its very difficult to rehome a dog yourself unless you personally know the people.

Well done on taking the little mite in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Any chance someone could pm the names of animal shelters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

You could just Google it...

Magenta wrote: »

Well sorry.

But some people here have connections to certain charities. I was hoping they might know which ones are most active in helping with vet fees and finding homes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

How is the little Jack Russell doing? You are very good for rescuing her from
    the hell hole she was living in.Boiled mince/mashed potato and chicken/pasta
    fed in small meals throughout the day,are very good for building up undernourished dogs.Also give her a wormer tablet as she was likely never wormed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Magenta wrote: »
    How is that helpful Magenta?
    As per our forum Charter please see a very good list of rescues/charities here
    We're not allowed promote individual rescues that we're involved in, but if anyone can help, PM the OP with legitimate recommendations.

Kukey wrote: »
    How is the little Jack Russell doing? You are very good for rescuing her from
    the hell hole she was living in.Boiled mince/mashed potato and chicken/pasta
    fed in small meals throughout the day,are very good for building up undernourished dogs.Also give her a wormer tablet as she was likely never wormed.

She's ok, very nervous. (doesn't help that we have to keep her to one room, due to the other pets. We have 7 \=..)
    We're contacting shelters atm.

All she wants is attention though, to be petted and played with. Very friendly girl.

To keep updated.
    A fantastic boardsie is helping with the vet fees. Thank you!

So I've her vaccinated and booked in to be neutered.

Again, if anyone has a safe garden/knows someone looking for a dog, keep this little Missy in mind.
    I'm in the process of house training her, and she just about has the newspaper part down. :)

To keep updated.
    A fantastic boardsie is helping with the vet fees. Thank you!

So I've her vaccinated and booked in to be neutered.

Again, if anyone has a safe garden/knows someone looking for a dog, keep this little Missy in mind.
    I'm in the process of house training her, and she just about has the newspaper part down. :)

• Advertisement

Next update.

She was neutered yesterday and is doing well, isn't going at the stitches either.

She's also getting more comfortable on the lead when out walking. =].

And I was able to find out that she is quite good with kids, family passing with a child (who was too quick for my comfort) shot out the hand to pet Missy, aside from a worried look from Missy, she stayed calm and even relaxed at little.

Another child, who was more careful. (parent was guiding the child), Missy actually enjoyed that rub.^^
    Both children were around 5/6 years old. It's good to know she'll make a lovely family pet.

<snip>
    Sorry looking around, I know you're trying to do the right thing, but that link is to a rescue page and unfortunately we don't allow links to individual rescues. I've embedded her pic and anyone can feel free to PM you for the rescue info

fpit.jpg

Hi everyone,
    Found someone to look after Missy. Someone who's never fostered before, but has 10 year old yorkshire terrier cross. Very lovely older lady, home alot of the day.
    I think Missy is in good hands.

Thank you again boardsies. !! Thanks for all the help. :)

Advertisement