Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do i need a monitor?

Options
  • 23-12-2013 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

I'm hoping TNT deliver my parts for my computer tomorrow

and i want to know if i would be grand using my tv and hdmi cable for gaming and surfing the net?

i used to use my tv as the monitor for my old pc and the pixels seemed big.

not sure if its because the computer/graphics wasnt good enough for the size of the tv or what so i want to know do i need to get a monitor or would there be any difference?

tv is a 32" aswell

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Is it a 1080p tv?

Even so TVs always look crap compared to decent monitors tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

garde2k10 wrote: »
    I'm hoping TNT deliver my parts for my computer tomorrow

and i want to know if i would be grand using my tv and hdmi cable for gaming and surfing the net?

i used to use my tv as the monitor for my old pc and the pixels seemed big.

not sure if its because the computer/graphics wasnt good enough for the size of the tv or what so i want to know do i need to get a monitor or would there be any difference?

tv is a 32" aswell

You will get away with it but the resolution on a TV is no way as good as a monitor

The resolution of a 1080p tv is the same as a 1080p monitor. This isn't why it looks crap tho :P

There are lots of different display technologies used in both tvs and monitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭garde2k10

ya its 1080p tv, i have 150 to spend but i was thinking of getting a racing wheel but might put that off and get a monitor if it would be worth it?

Define "worth it". 30" high resolution IPS monitors are very expensive - but give the best quality.

Try it out with your tv first I suppose, you can always upgrade later. It's hard to appreciate how washed-out the colours on cheap tvs look unless you see it beside a monitor tho.

• Advertisement

19 or 20" would be grand, it doesnt have to be 'spectacular' something that will do a decent job, this is my first gaming pc too

You would be better off using your tv in that case. Cheapo tiny monitors wouldn't be much better.

The pixels will seem big because the tv itself is big btw :P

srsly78 wrote: »
    You would be better off using your tv in that case. Cheapo tiny monitors wouldn't be much better.

The pixels will seem big because the tv itself is big btw :P

it wasnt really the pixels being big but more like each pixel had black/grey outline on each pixel

Get a better tv I suppose.

Get a better tv I suppose.

srsly?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

GET a monitor on adverts.ie ,
    17inch or 21 inch .
    32inch tv ok,for games , youtube ,video, not for reading text long articles.
    set refresh rate on grahis card out,to 60mhz,on pc,
    resolution to 1024x768 before you plug in hdmi cable into tv.

riclad wrote: »
    GET a monitor on adverts.ie ,
    17inch or 21 inch .
    32inch tv ok,for games , youtube ,video, not for reading text long articles.
    set refresh rate on grahis card out,to 60mhz,on pc,
    resolution to 1024x768 before you plug in hdmi cable into tv.

graphics card is a sapphire toxic r9 270x.... would it not be grand on the normal res? i use the tv for my xbox and have no problems

It should do 1920x1080 fine. Maybe your problem in the past was because of the old pc having older version of hdmi or something.

It should do 1920x1080 fine. Maybe your problem in the past was because of the old pc having older version of hdmi or something.

it was a packard bell media pc thing-a-majiger with a hd 5870 or something:rolleyes: if its not good,cant i hook the pc up to my laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

TVs do a lot of image processing which introduces a fair bit of delay between receiving and displaying the video signal (and presumably the audio would have to be delayed to match). I used a 42" LED TV as a PC monitor for a while and it was OK for most things with 'game mode' selected, but you really notice the delay with anything that requires quick reactions (e.g. FPS games).

Best thing is to try it out for a while and see if it does the trick. If not, you can always get a monitor later.

pcs ARE SET to output picture,
    at 75mhz,
    refresh rate, too high for most tvs.
    see tv manual.
    any hdtv will work ok on 60mhz,refresh rate ,1024x768.
    75mhz =risk of damaging tv.
    BUY monitor on adverts ie, 50- 90euro depending on the age, size of screen.

XBOX is not a pc,

it sends standard signal into hdmi.
    and you can set it to 720p, in menu,settings,xbox.
    MOST games are designed for 720p.
    on the xbox 360 console.

A 32 inch tv is too big for web browsing ,reading text for long periods,
    ok, for youtube, gaming if its set up right,

The above post is lacking in correctness and should be ignored (lolxbox).

What the pc outputs to the monitors is dependent on what connection is used: whether it be vga, or hdmi, dvi, dual dvi, displayport or whatever.

Most tvs are still rubbish tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Older CRTs needed high refresh rates to avoid flicker induced migraines ! They had a much faster response than LCD. 60hz is sufficient for LCD panels and some will even fail to work at anything higher than that.

If your TV is a genuine 1080 x 1920 result ion then you should get a reasonable display for games but the large screen and poor dot pitch will make text uncomfortable to read.

Currys are selling 23" IPS screens branded as HP for under 150 euro at the moment, decent deal if you have the money and the size should be decent for most people.

Ken

ZENER wrote: »
    Older CRTs needed high refresh rates to avoid flicker induced migraines ! They had a much faster response than LCD. 60hz is sufficient for LCD panels and some will even fail to work at anything higher than that.

If your TV is a genuine 1080 x 1920 result ion then you should get a reasonable display for games but the large screen and poor dot pitch will make text uncomfortable to read.

Currys are selling 23" IPS screens branded as HP for under 150 euro at the moment, decent deal if you have the money and the size should be decent for most people.

Ken

went up there today and saw a big queue outside pcworld/currys to look around...? the must be afraid somones gunna walk out with a 52" 3d tv or something haha so i snipped that idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

riclad wrote: »
    ...utter nonsense...

We really need a 'no thanks' button for posts like these.

• Advertisement

Some tvs can be damaged by a signal over 60mhz.
    whether it goes thru dvi or hdmi .
    READ your tv manual re pc setup connection settings.

IF your short of money buy a monitor on adverts ie ,70 euro.
    YOU can go to grahics card ,adaptor, settings, advanced ,
    change refresh rate from 75 to 60mhz.
    post the model no of the tv ,eg sony 560k.

Phew, lucky that nothing outputs over 60 MILLION frames per second then isn't it? I suppose your xbox can do this tho right?

Try again, but this time fix your metric usage and grammar please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Careful now !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I think this thread has run it's course. Pm me op if you'd like it reopened.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement