Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

can you get a gun licence if you have a garda caution

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

i have recently applied for a licence for a 22 hornet for foxing . ive was acting the fool about four years ago with some friends and we vandalised a building i was issued a garda caution and a leasion officer came to see me i payed money for the damage .this is the one and only time ive ever been in truble with law .Ive always hunted and been a member of a gun club sevral times but this is my first gun i want to know if this caution will prevent me from getting a licence

I cud be very wrong here.but i think after 2/3 years a "caution" is erased (a bit like penalty points) if you have not got into any trouble since then...might be advisable to check with citizens advice centre/similar to be sure,(this will not apply if you were actually convicted in court)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

rowa wrote: »
    Its not scaremongering, its happened to me and several others i know . I was attacked and pinned between two cars by a lowlife well known to the gardai, he was intent on assaulting me a second time, i punched him twice and pushed him to get free, and i then ran off and reported it to the gardai (something i wouldn't do again). I was given an official caution over it for (public affray). Something else not to be happy with the gardai over.

I don't know the actual details of the incident so I'm not going to comment. You can winge about AGS all you want, if you really want to discuss it then PM me. I don't think this thread is the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

I cud be very wrong here.but i think after 2/3 years a "caution" is erased (a bit like penalty points) if you have not got into any trouble since then...might be advisable to check with citizens advice centre/similar to be sure,(this will not apply if you were actually convicted in court)

I doubt it's erased completly to be honest. If you went for an interview to the AGS theyed find it fairly quick. But haven said that if you were getting a guarda vetting done I do (as far as I remember) it asks have you any cautions or convictions in the past 5 years I think.
    rowa wrote: »
    Its not scaremongering, its happened to me and several others i know . I was attacked and pinned between two cars by a lowlife well known to the gardai, he was intent on assaulting me a second time, i punched him twice and pushed him to get free, and i then ran off and reported it to the gardai (something i wouldn't do again). I was given an official caution over it for (public affray). Something else not to be happy with the gardai over.

You say you were attacked. Was it twice in the same nite or two different occasions. You say he was intent on assaulting you so you punched him twice. Did he actually assault you. I know grabbing someone can be considered assault but did action justify yours.

Let's be clear I'm not saying you were in the wrong I DO NOT KNOW.
    I think you can use only the minimum amount force necessary to protect your self. No sledge hammer to a peanut situations. Who knows what happen prior to the situation.

Another thing could be that the guy is such a low life that AGS didn't want to do anything because they were waiting to prosicute him on a bigger charge to make sure he never bothered anyone any more.

Just to say I'm not saying you were wrong. It's just another opinion on very vague details.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Guys, this topic is well outside the forum's charter. If you're really wondering, go ask about castle doctrine on the legal discussion forum. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement