Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes Vouchers

Options
  • 23-12-2013 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I got a 250e Gift Voucher, I am just wondering instead of having that on the one card, would Dunnes transfer say 100e to another card so I wouldn't have to carry that card all the time. I dont live close to any Dunnes so I never get grocery shopping only drapery. I would prefer smaller amounts on the cards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

You could ask Dunnes to give you paper vouchers for the card. Get 5 €50 paper vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Use the card to buy cards in smaller values, I used to work in Dunnes, did it many times.

Use the card to buy cards in smaller values, I used to work in Dunnes, did it many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

Hi rawn. I asked in Dunnes today & they dont allow it any more. I guess its the same rule in every store. This was Dunnes Athlone.

hillbloom wrote: »
    Hi rawn. I asked in Dunnes today & they dont allow it any more. I guess its the same rule in every store. This was Dunnes Athlone.

Unless they changed it, I think it just depends who you ask.. I was trained to do it when I was trained in, in Dunnes, Blanchardstown years ago. Were they able to do anything about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Well they wont give you change, so if you buy something small, will they not put it back on a card for you, would that suit you better, or do you want to give some of the voucher away etc?

If so, buy some clothes and return them, I presume the refund would be on to another gift card then you'll have two cards.

I dont want to give them away, its just I'd prefer to have just one of about 100e in my wallet instead of 250e. I never buy groceries there as the nearest store is an hours journey. I might try a different branch but the lady in customer service was very polite & said they got them as their Xmas Bonus.

Is it paper vouchers or a card? I got paper ones as my bonus. We were trained to transfer them to gift cards because the gift cards are more durable. Also, if they're paper, if you buy something (say, a pack of chewing gum) then they will transfer the change onto a card. You can ask them then to put the change on separate cards, but, again, it may depend on who you ask! Dunnes are a bit crap at this kind of thing. The rules always change depending who is serving you, and where.

Its the Card. My son who is in Australia sent them to me. He did it on-line & they arrived in the post. I could buy a couple of expensive duvet sets & return them & get them put onto a new card.

I don't see why they're having a problem making a few smaller value cards out of it then! We did it all the time :confused: technically, all you're doing is buying separate gift cards, just say you need to distribute them as gifts of €50

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

This might be a bit underhand but you could go in and ask for 5 €50 gift vouchers/cards and when it comes time to pay offer the €250 card you have. They'll call a manager but should process rather than cancel out the transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

ken wrote: »
    This might be a bit underhand but you could go in and ask for 5 €50 gift vouchers/cards and when it comes time to pay offer the €250 card you have. They'll call a manager but should process rather than cancel out the transaction.

That's exactly what I did with €300 worth last year. It wasn't underhand, as I explained to the girl at the start of the transaction. She had no problem whatsoever with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I work in a large store that does gift cards and we do not allow people to buy gift cards with another gift card because it was being used by customers to extend the validity of the card. So if someone found a 18 month old card that would expire at 24 months, they were bringing them in and getting another two years by buying new cards with the old cards. It was frustrating at Xmas as I had a lot of people who got big value cards as work bonuses and wanted to use them towards cards as presents. I couldn't do anything about it unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Quick question to save me looking up T&C. Can you get computer consumables with a voucher? I need colour ink so would throw it in with groceries. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Pretty sure that anything on sale in the store is covered by the vouchers.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Rhinohippo wrote: »
    Pretty sure that anything on sale in the store is covered by the vouchers.

+1 there are restrictions on what you can buy with the money off vouchers they post to you and which you earn from swiping the Value card. By law you are not allowed to buy infant formula or lotto tickets with promotional or loyalty vouchers but if someone buys you a gift voucher, the value can be used to buy anything on sale in their stores.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Quick question to save me looking up T&C. Can you get computer consumables with a voucher? I need colour ink so would throw it in with groceries. Thanks.

No issue with the gift cards and Value Club vouchers.

Even with the Shop & Save vouchers, from my experience this is fine. Computer consumables are sold in the grocery section of the store anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

I forgot to update this. :o Yes indeed there was no problem and I got my ink.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Twee. wrote: »
    I work in a large store that does gift cards and we do not allow people to buy gift cards with another gift card because it was being used by customers to extend the validity of the card. So if someone found a 18 month old card that would expire at 24 months, they were bringing them in and getting another two years by buying new cards with the old cards. It was frustrating at Xmas as I had a lot of people who got big value cards as work bonuses and wanted to use them towards cards as presents. I couldn't do anything about it unfortunately!

I'm not sure what the problem with extending the validity of gift cards is. In any case, the government has promised to abolish the practice of expiring gift cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Rhinohippo

Quackster wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the problem with extending the validity of gift cards is. In any case, the government has promised to abolish the practice of expiring gift cards.

That would be a great idea. Nothing more frustrating than having an expired gift card, GRRRRR

• Advertisement
Advertisement