Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disaster at Christmas

• 23-12-2013 8:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

Our darling 15 year old JRT/Patterdale x is in the Vets overnight on a drip. He's had Gastric 'episodes' for the past few years, but he always manages to pull out of it. Hes been sick since friday - thought he was perking up, got him some meds from vet on saturday, this morning hes still not well, too old to be sick this long, brought him to the dreaded vet. Theyve done bloods and xray and his liver and kidney are showing problems. They cant do a scan of his liver tomoro, not til after xmas - bloody holidays!! - so they fed him IV and on a fluids drip for 24 hours, to see if its helping his kidney.

If anyone prays out there, please say one for our little dog, and maybe the rest of you will wish a cristmas wish for him to get better

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

aonb wrote: »
    Our darling 15 year old JRT/Patterdale x is in the Vets overnight on a drip. He's had Gastric 'episodes' for the past few years, but he always manages to pull out of it. Hes been sick since friday - thought he was perking up, got him some meds from vet on saturday, this morning hes still not well, too old to be sick this long, brought him to the dreaded vet. Theyve done bloods and xray and his liver and kidney are showing problems. They cant do a scan of his liver tomoro, not til after xmas - bloody holidays!! - so they fed him IV and on a fluids drip for 24 hours, to see if its helping his kidney.

If anyone prays out there, please say one for our little dog, and maybe the rest of you will wish a cristmas wish for him to get better

You have my best wishes on the full recovery of your companion and friend. I wish the little feller the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Will be keeping everything crossed for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Hugs and prayers to aonb from our house....

Poor Patterdale...:(

Hugs to ye all...xxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Hope everything turns out alright, fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

He's in my thoughts - I have an almost 15 yr old here who I really wasn't sure whether he'd see Christmas or not - but after new meds he's slowly beginning to look and feel a lot better, I hope the same for your boy -

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Aw, what an awful time for your dog! :( Sending good doggy vibes his way... x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aw jayney aonb :(
    I'm so sorry to hear he's not well: I think there are a few on here, yourself and myself included, who love and admire the terrier's fighting spirit, so here's hoping beyond hope that his undoubted spirit kicks in now, and that you'll have him home again soon.
    Will keep everything crossed for him :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

I'm so sorry to hear about your fur baby. The helpless and hopeless feeling you have when your little one has to stay at the vets is dreadful. I don't pray a lot, but I will certainly pray for your baby. Please God, let him get well again and bring the little angel home. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

many thanks for your kind words - it helps to hear from fellow pet-lovers.
    Well my poor old Pepper is home for Christmas. The vet phoned this morning to say he was off the drip and wandering happily around their surgery, had had something to eat and was doing ok. His liver is very very enlarged which is the bad news, but we have our boy home for Christmas, he is eating/drinking and not in any pain/discomfort. Very kind vet is totally sympathetic, and gave us his personal mobile number in case we have an emergency over the holidays. I dont know if we did the right thing keeping him with us, when his liver is shot, but he was so happy to see us in the surgery this morning - made a wee and wobbled towards the door, so we'll keep him going until he's in trouble, crying buckets of tears all the time but we get to say goodbye with lots of hugs and kisses and TLC, for 15 years of love and joy and friendship, and will let him go when he's not able to keep going which probably wont be long now I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

My heart is breaking for you. I hope you enjoy Christmas together. Stay positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Aw aonb I'm so glad you get to have him with you for Christmas. It's a special, magical but often sad time of year for a lot of people and I always find it gives us a reality check (amongst all the madness and fun too) where we appreciate all the we have and everyone we love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Sounds like you have a great vet!
    Hope ye have a good Christmas despite the circumstances
    **hugs**

*NO* doubts that we did the right thing in bringing our boy home for Christmas - we know he is on borrowed time now, but we couldnt put him to sleep on Christmas Eve - hes in no pain, eating and drinking, and this morning he hobbled out to the lane for a tiny walk. So, here is Pepper playing with his Christmas toy this morning - happy days! We'll just take it from here, and see how he goes - Happy New Year to all you pet lovers on here!!!!!

View My Video

He is sooooo gorgeous:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Aw I'm so happy to hear pepper had a great Christmas :)
    that's brilliant. was thinking bout the little mite :) delighted for ye

Guys, the most amazing thing - we thought we were loosing Pep just before xmas. He was really ill, on two drips, xrays showed hugely enlarged liver, and his kidneys were showing signs of trouble and his shoulder (arthritic) seemed to have siezed up too. Thought when the vet phoned on xmas eve morning, it would be to tell us we need to have Pep PTS - but it was to tell us to bring him home, that he was 'pretty chipper'! Anyway over 1 week later, Pep is 110% back on form! Limp is nearly gone, eating for Ireland (always been food obsessed) and back to going for walks!!

He has had gastric problems with similar symptoms in the last 2 years, and always pulled through (with the help of our great vet) but this time the liver xray told us such bad news I really didnt expect him to make it. (when he was ill before, his liver wasnt enlarged) Any opinion on whether a previously enlarged liver could/would reduce? he is in such good form again - Im not building up any hope here that he is going to be with us long term, we know he is on borrowed time - will phone the vet to chat about it after the holidays, just wondering if anyone knows about livers?? In the meantime we are so thrilled to have him back, he is being spoiled even rottener and loving it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

A dog we used to meet most days since my fella was a pup was diagnosed with liver failure and owners were advised to pts, but wanted to give him one last family weekend, he was so much better by the Monday vet put it off, and he made a not quite but pretty much full recovery. This happened 4 more times before he suddenly died in his sleep last year, four years after original diagnosis.
    He had some meds and dietary restrictions, toward the end developed epilepsy, but was still his happy woofing self until his last week.
    Delighted your pepper is well now, hopefully you have a while yet with him.

That's fantastic news aonb, I'm delighted for you:)

Advertisement