Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you one of the 7%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

12 right. Got the first one about man made radiation wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

No
    13 from 13. Yeah, baby... :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

No
    13/13.

Was well chuffed with that until I read the other responses on this thread. Screw yis all, I don't care if it was easy, I'm still proud of myself! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No
    13 outa 13, though TBH if I'd gotten much below ten on a "quiz" that simplistic I'd avoid sharp objects and lay in a darkened corner consumed by shame. And I didn't go beyond "high school".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 EIALB2

I'm in the 7%. Should hope so considering I'm an engineer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Don't know
    11 out of 13...not too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Legwinski

No
    13/13 but wasn't sure on 2 or 3. Some were stupidly easy like continents moving and the new drug one but tbh I'm surprised 7% got them all right!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Got 10 out of 13 myself...

The amount of people getting back saying they have got 13/13 seems like a lie :pac: or... or.... loads of people took the test, didnt get 13/13 and decided to not reply to the thread.

Something is afoot, watson.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭123 LC

12 out of thirteen, got the electron one wrong. Thought it was ok seeing as I've no interest in science, just did it in school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Don't know
    12/13

I didn't even realise I was taking a quiz. I began by trying to dismiss notifications that my anti-virus was out of date...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Don't know
    12/13.

Got the one about the main composite of Earths atmosphere wrong. Oh well, pretty happy..hard to imagine that only 7% can get all of them right and even harder to believe that put me 85% better than the general public.
    It's pretty basic school stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭debit2credit

No
    13/13

Nerds where do I join up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

12/13.

Didn't have a clue what fracking was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

No
    was a little unsure with the fracking and the gas thats highest percentage in the atmosphere.

Had to think back to school and picture the books/class in my mind XD

13/13 =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Don't know
    Just a note that 67.26% in the poll are in the 7% at this point in time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

No
    Fairly basic but now the NSA knows. :rolleyes:

Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz Results

You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.
    This quiz is a joint effort between the Pew Research Center and Smithsonian magazine.

See below how your results compare with the 1,006 randomly sampled adults that took part in our national survey and review how you responded to each question. For more findings from the survey, read "Public's Knowledge of Science and Technology."
    You scored better than 93% of the public and the same as 7%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No
    13/13 very surprised the % is so low esp re the Air question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No
    Fraking Hell! If all the science geniuses on Boards clubbed together we could corner the market in nitrogen based fertilisers. There's a lot of it out there in the atmosphere and nobody else knows it exists! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

12/13

Nitrogen? Who knew? I went with hydrogen because I thought it was super-abundant and all the next-gen cars were going to run on it. But apparently hydrogen only accounts for 0.000055% of the atmosphere... Think I'll stick with my 2L turbo-diesel for the moment!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

I'm in the 7% of course.

The other 94% of you are right thicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I got one wrong. Gutted.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

12 correct out of 13, totally chuffed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Don't know
    I answered 12 out of 13 correctly! :D

"You scored better than 85% of the public, below 7% and the same as 8%."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

11 out of 13 not bad for some1 who bombed the leaving and never did a science subject, I did contemplate lying but I'd only be lying to myself :-(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

No
    rahmalec wrote: »
    12/13.

Didn't have a clue what fracking was.
    Full disclosure: Fracking nearly caught me out too. I clicked through the rest in short order, but had to think about that one and nearly clicked coal.
    Dubwat wrote: »
    12/13

Nitrogen? Who knew? I went with hydrogen because I thought it was super-abundant and all the next-gen cars were going to run on it. But apparently hydrogen only accounts for 0.000055% of the atmosphere... Think I'll stick with my 2L turbo-diesel for the moment!
    Well Dubwat, if you think about it, if hydrogen was super abundant in the atmosphere, sparking up a ciggie would have the atmosphere go up like an effin roman candle. :D Though to be fair hydrogen is the most abundant overall, only it's bonded to other elements. Water and the like.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

123 LC wrote: »
    12 out of thirteen, got the electron one wrong. Thought it was ok seeing as I've no interest in science, just did it in school

Exactly my result and the same wrong answer.
    Spooky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    I'm surprised it's only 7%! Got it anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

No
    When I read that the Pew Research Centre was part of this, I immediately thought 'skunk'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

12 right here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Dubwat wrote: »
    12/13

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, but it is also the lightest. It has a velocity great enough to escape the pull of gravity on Earth. If it is released into the atmosphere it just floats off, think helium balloons!

• Advertisement

No
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Got all 13. Fairly basic stuff, surprised it's that low.
    Same here, I expected some really difficult questions, I flew through them looking for the "gotcha" but didn't see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

No
    Got all 13 right. Did two science subjects in the Leaving but that was a quarter century ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

13/13. I must have been paying more attention in school than I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

In fairness given my experience of the average American I'd have been fairly pissed off if I didn't!

Lucked out on one or two to be in the top 7% though I would like to see how many non Americans would get them all right. I'm guessing the figure would be significantly higher than 7%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No
    Is this the IQ test that Brendan O'Carroll did, that he mentions in every interview, which he claims puts him in the top 7% intellectually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

No
    How could anyone possibly think lasers work by focusing sound waves???? Have they ever heard the awful racket a laser pointer makes?

Lots of Americans apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Don't know
    12/13
    Damn you nitrogen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Or a Liar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

No
    The last one caused me to pause, the rest I would definitely have gotten by junior cert.

• Advertisement

No
    veetwin wrote: »
    Do you know more about science and technology than the average American?

In fairness given my experience of the average American I'd have been fairly pissed off if I didn't!

Lucked out on one or two to be in the top 7% though I would like to see how many non Americans would get them all right. I'm guessing the figure would be significantly higher than 7%
    For me, the downward spiral of the US education system is nothing short of a crime. Yes you still have places like MIT and the like, but check out how many are students from overseas. Look at the leaps they made in the 20th century. This was the nation that only 40 years ago put a man on the moon FFS and did it in under a decade. From scratch. When JFK made his famous speech they hadn't even got a man into orbit. Astounding stuff. And these guys were more likely to be young and good ol boys from below the bible belt. The same areas today that have too many average people thinking Noah existed.

I'm on a couple of predominantly US forums and it does come as a shock more than a comfortable sometimes when you get to know posters that are clearly very bright people, but whose education has been stunted as far as general knowledge and understanding goes. A real fcuking crime IMHO.

I'm saying that as an Irishman and lest I get rightfully accused of chucking around mineral aggregates in silicon dioxide dwellings, our education system is on a downward slope too. One in four 16 year old Irish males have trouble with literacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭deise08

Balls ! one wrong. kicking myself I didn't get it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭weirdspider

Don't know
    12/13. Never heard of "fracking". Well now I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

12/13 ain't bad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

11 out of 13, as I apparently didn't answer two of the questions which I did (gremlins?)

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

swinging my 13 mickey all over the place wahey...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

No
    You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

No
    Wibbs wrote: »
    One in four 16 year old Irish males have trouble with literacy.

In the OECD's latest Programme for International Student Assessment league tables, Irish teens are ranked fourth out of 34 OECD countries when it comes to reading.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/1203/490592-oecd/

Pray tell where are you getting your stats from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Filibuster

I got 14/13 correct. I guess I'm better than all of you losers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Don't know
    Only 12/13, I picked the wrong username. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

No
    **** you science 13/13 baby

• Advertisement
Advertisement