Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you one of the 7%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

No
    You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.
    This quiz is a joint effort between the Pew Research Center and Smithsonian magazine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

6 out of 13......piece of piss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

No
    Got all 13 right, its fairly basic stuff, but I could understand someone missing one or 2 of them, but even people getting 11 or 12 right is pretty low.

**EDIT**
    Just to add, that the last time, I did Science (the Biology, Chemistry and Physics kind) was for the Junior cert. Did all business subjects for the leaving, so the test can't be that hard, if the likes of me can get them right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

100%. Where's my prize?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Don't know
    Only got 11 :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No
    Interesting little quiz. Quite broad ranging. I got all 13 right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Don't know
    9/13
    Not too bad for being in a girls school with no chemistry or physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 BrianFitz246

Got 12 out of 13 and I'm just 17, not to shabby I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

No
    13/13 too. It's been 4 and a half years since my last science lesson (LC Chemistry) but I think most, if not all, of those are part of the various secondary school science curricula here.

It's kind of shocking how many of the test group got them wrong, but you have to consider that the general population includes a large proportion of older people (60s, 70s, 80s, etc.) who may never have done anything scientific in school (my grandparents all left school in their early teens, for example) or who haven't done anything science-related in several decades. You would also have a lot of people with poor levels of education and some who just don't care about learning.

Boards is most definitely not representative of the Irish population, let alone the American one... Be interesting to try this quiz with random people on the Luas, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭akura

Don't know
    Fuck so close!

12/13

"You scored better than 85% of the public, below 7% and the same as 8%."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

Don't know
    12 out of 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

No
    Men beat women in 11/13. Ha! Science is a tool of the patriarchy. We need a twitter campaign to have the gender binary of the physical laws made gender neutral. Atoms need to check their privilege. Size equality for electrons!!

#yoloswag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

10 out of 13

Not too bad I suppose.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No
    Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    Men beat women in 11/13. Ha! Science is a tool of the patriarchy. We need a twitter campaign to have the gender binary of the physical laws made gender neutral. Atoms need to check their privilege. Size equality for electrons!!

#yoloswag

Hurts my brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

No
    13/13 too. It's been 4 and a half years since my last science lesson (LC Chemistry) but I think most, if not all, of those are part of the various secondary school science curricula here.

It's kind of shocking how many of the test group got them wrong, but you have to consider that the general population includes a large proportion of older people (60s, 70s, 80s, etc.) who may never have done anything scientific in school (my grandparents all left school in their early teens, for example) or who haven't done anything science-related in several decades. You would also have a lot of people with poor levels of education and some who just don't care about learning.

Boards is most definitely not representative of the Irish population, let alone the American one... Be interesting to try this quiz with random people on the Luas, for example.

Your random people on the Luas would have quite a high probability of being university educated. The percentage of secondary school leavers going on to university broke the 50% barrier about 12 years ago and is now over 55%.

Even if they only went to second level why would they not be able to answer these questions just as well as people on Boards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

No
    Your responses and demographic breakdowns

Below are the percentages of each group from the nationally representative sample who answered correctly during the telephone survey.
    GENDER AGE EDUCATION
    Total Male Female 18-29 30-49 50-64 65+ HS or less Some College College Grad +
    All radioactivity is man-made. Is this statement...

You correctly answered "False"

66 70 63 68 66 71 56 54 69 82
    Electrons are smaller than atoms. Is this statement...

You correctly answered "True"

47 54 41 56 50 44 33 34 54 59
    Lasers work by focusing sound waves. Is this statement...

You correctly answered "False"

48 57 38 50 53 50 27 35 56 58
    The continents on which we live have been moving their location for millions of years and will continue to move in the future. Is this statement...

You correctly answered "True"

77 83 72 87 77 77 66 68 83 85
    Which one of the following types of solar radiation does sunscreen protect the skin from?

You correctly answered "Ultraviolet"

83 85 81 88 86 82 71 72 91 91
    Does nanotechnology deal with things that are extremely...

You correctly answered "Small"

65 68 62 76 71 63 37 46 72 84
    Which gas makes up most of the Earth’s atmosphere?

You correctly answered "Nitrogen"

20 27 14 25 22 18 14 12 22 31
    What is the main function of red blood cells?

You correctly answered "Carry oxygen to all parts of the body"

78 79 77 86 75 84 63 66 86 89
    Which of these is a major concern about the overuse of antibiotics?

You correctly answered "It can lead to antibiotic-resistant bacteria"

77 72 81 68 84 80 68 58 85 95
    Which is an example of a chemical reaction?

You correctly answered "Nails rusting"

66 67 65 66 66 68 58 54 68 81
    Which is the better way to determine whether a new drug is effective in treating a disease? If a scientist has a group of 1,000 volunteers with the disease to study, should she...

You correctly answered "Give the drug to half of them but not to the other half, and compare how many in each group get better"

75 72 78 76 75 80 62 67 76 86
    What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise?

You correctly answered "Carbon dioxide"

58 66 51 59 64 56 48 49 55 76
    Which natural resource is extracted in a process known as “fracking”?

You correctly answered "Natural gas"

51 58 45 35 52 61 50 39 53 66

Really really basic stuff but I would guess that the radioactivity and nitrogen as the most common gas are the two that screw people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Daqster

12 right and never did science at school.

Are all these these things considered 'science' because science was used as tool in their determination?

In that case though, what isn't bloody science.

With that loose a definition, fcuking junkies qualify as 'scientists'.

Quiz was general knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Was about to say they are all very easy questions... Got the gas one wrong :o

In my defence I flew through it *whistles*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

No
    13/13 fairly basic lads jaysus how to 93% fail to get that right

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭alphasully

No

I must be clever so :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Got 13. I was representing under 18s .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭DK man

12/13 I'm a feckin dope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

No
    13/13...what does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Don't know
    12 out 13 grrrrr! I had no idea what 'fracking' was. '

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No
    13/13.

It's more of a general knowledge quiz to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

13/13...what does that mean?

You got the 14th question wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

12/13. Went wrong on drug test Q.
    Would testing half the group with drugs not be inadequate because if some of the non-drug group get better on a fluke and some of the drug group remain ill is than not going to give messy results?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

No

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No
    Would testing half the group with drugs not be inadequate because if some of the non-drug group get better on a fluke and some of the drug group remain ill is than not going to give messy results?

That's why you always use a large sample size.

As in if you gave one person the drug and another person the placebo and they both stayed ill and you concluded that the drug was useless..that would be a ****e experiment.

But if you give 500 people the drug and another 500 a placebo, then the chance of error is greatly reduced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No

That's sort of the whole point. If just as many of the people without the drug are getting better "on a fluke" as are getting better with it, then the drug isn't doing anything.

On the other hand, if you have a thousand people taking it and another thousand who aren't, and a higher percentage of those taking it are recovering, then you can be pretty confident that the drug is helping.

If you just give the drug to 2000 people and some of them get better, then you've learned nothing since you have no idea whether or not they would have recovered without the drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No
    13/13.

Not one of the 1%, but one of the 7%.

Getting closer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

No
    Found them questions very easy for not having looked at any science in over 4 years, 100%, surely the 7% is wrong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Don't know
    12/13. Got the atmosphere one wrong. Knew hydrogen was the most common element in the universe so just picked that without thinking.

Still I'm happy with being in the top 8%. Well above the thicko's yet not lumped in with the know it alls :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

No

Testing for the placebo effect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Don't know
    ted1 wrote: »
    Testing for the placebo effect

They'd have to be given something if it was testing the placebo effect. Its just having a control group that hasnt taken the stuff to contrast the findings from those who did take the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't know
    9/13

Failed Physics in the Leaving, hated Biology, and stopped Chemistry after the Junior Cert. Having zero interest in science these days makes me quite satisfied with 9 actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

No
    Got 13/13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

No
    I imagine, seeing as it's an American website, these stats are based on Americans.
    Glad to see we're far better at answering 13 simple questions.

2d060x.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I got the nitrogen one wrong and answered with Co2 :eek: after getting 11 of 13 I will get 13 of 13 next time. It just made me two questions smarter. Improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

I got all thirteen correct, where do I pick up my Nobel prize and my million euro research grant???

From the mildly suggestive postbox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

No
    Haven't done science since I was in 3rd year in secondary school, about 5 years now, and got all 13 correct! Guessed a few but by and large it was fairly simple stuff. Was gonna say, if I got less than 13, well how many people know about Paradox of Thrift, The Multiplier Effect and The Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

Got 12/13
    Didn't know what fracking was.

What a fracking twit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Don't know
    11/13 ohhhhhhhhh the pain !!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭czx

BOHtox wrote: »
    Haven't done science since I was in 3rd year in secondary school, about 5 years now, and got all 13 correct! Guessed a few but by and large it was fairly simple stuff. Was gonna say, if I got less than 13, well how many people know about Paradox of Thrift, The Multiplier Effect and The Law of Diminishing Marginal Returns?

not many, you're really something special xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Don't know
    Well 12-13

You scored better than 80% of the public, below 15% and the same as 10%.

answer: Sugar dissolving as nails rusting

carraig2 wrote: »
    Got 12/13
    Didn't know what fracking was.

What a fracking twit!

Somebody doesn't follow US politics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭carraig2

kjl wrote: »
    Somebody doesn't follow US politics.

Nope. Barely follow Irish politics tbh

carraig2 wrote: »
    Nope. Barely follow Irish politics tbh

Well if you did you would know the republican party see fracking as the answer to the energy crisis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

No
    13 out of 13. That's all leaving cert science. Well, at least it was 20 something years ago!

• Advertisement
Advertisement