Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you one of the 7%

Comments

I got all thirteen correct, where do I pick up my Nobel prize and my million euro research grant???
    Meet you on Pearse St.? They're closed for Christmas.
    Seaneh wrote: »
    Got all 13. Fairly basic stuff, surprised it's that low.
    You're forgetting that the religious are allowed to use the internet.

FanadMan wrote: »
    13 out of 13. That's all leaving cert science. Well, at least it was 20 something years ago!

Junior Cert/the news/Cosmos tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

No
    You're forgetting that the religious are allowed to use the internet.

As are those who don't bother to actually read the stuff there commenting on. The original survey was conducted by phone and the figures only take into account the phone results.

Also, from the data presented, those with higher education (predictably) scored better.

wes wrote: »
    As are those who don't bother to actually read the stuff there commenting on. The original survey was conducted by phone and the figures only take into account the phone results.
    Burn.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Francisco Durden

Don't know
    I selected 'No' in the survery but I got all 13 right. Take one result from the 'No' section and add one to the 'Yes' section when pondering upon the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dowhatyoulove

No
    13 outta 13.. oh yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Captain Farrell

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭Itwasntme.

Don't know
    9/13 :eek::eek::o:o. It would be alright if I hadn't done Biology, Chemistry and Physics for my A'levels (and I got good grades too!) and if it wasn't pretty basic stuff. I am almost too ashamed to post the questions I got wrong because it's embarrassing but here goes:

Electrons. Yes. I forgot.
    Nails rusting.
    Nitrogen.
    Earth shifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

11/13. :(

Did it again and 13/13 (would be worrying if it wasn't).

And that's how we learn things!

Right - now I've improved myself. May go back to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

No
    13 out of 13. Most of the questions were pretty basic. Good to see a breakdown of the results. Men seem to have scored better on every question. But more importantly the higher the education level the greater the level of accuracy in the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Naid23

Don't care
    12/13.. Not Bad, Not bad at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Don't know
    I got 12 out of 13. Kicking myself for getting the atmosphere question wrong. I'm also very surprised at the 7%.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

Don't know
    ARGH!!!!! 12/13.

I the wrong answer when answering the question on the gas % in the atmosphere. I clicked Oxygen instead of Nitrogen. Sickened.

Nonetheless, I am very surprised that only 7% of Americans could answer all 13 correctly.

EDIT : The answer I fuppedup on had the worst results overall in the quiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Don't know
    11/13... how embarrassing!

I got the Nitrogen question and the extraction of natural resources question wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

No
    13..:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭lougholad

Don't know
    You scored better than 63% of the public, below 25% and the same as 12%.

10/13 I knew i should of gotten a college education :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Don't know
    cabledude wrote: »
    I the wrong answer when answering the question on the gas % in the atmosphere. I clicked Oxygen instead of Nitrogen. Sickened.

I clicked Carbon dioxide. :)

I was actually waiting for ages for it to move onto the next question before I realised I had to click it myself. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

No
    13/13

It is very easy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

Disgusted. 12/13.

I got the sunscreen one wrong - only one I had any doubt about and the one that was easiest for my demographic according to the results. UV protection. Says it on every bottle. How did I get that wrong? I'm going to punish myself by eating some chocolate for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

11 out of 13. I was between nitrogen and hydrogen and chose wrong, and then just guessed on the laser question because I know nothing about lasers. The rest I actually knew the answers too which I wasn't expecting because science has always been my least favorite subject. I took the minimum course requirements, never stepped foot into a Physics class and put in only enough effort to not fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Don't know
    12. I have a degree in Chemistry and I got the nitrogen question wrong. Fuuck sake.

Goes back to bed school. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

No
    13/13. That was insanely easy. Was almost not going to do it as I wasn't in the mood for feeling thick. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Science and Technology Knowledge Quiz Results

You answered 13 of 13 questions correctly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I am now.

Took a few goes and had to take notes - but I am now one of the 7%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

No
    Although chemistry is a branch of physics so technically all chemical reactions are physical reactions.

Which reminds me of one of my favourite XKCD cartoons
    http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/purity.png

13/13 myself, but the results on here shouldn't surprise as the sample is self-selecting rather than random.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

11 out of 13

Im happy with that considering at least 8 of my answers were things i picked up over the years as opposed to something i learned in school/college

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

No
    Christ..... Who could not get 13/13 there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Condescending post is condescending

Quite a few AH'ers it would seem :D

• Advertisement

nc19 wrote: »
    Condescending post is condescending
    Tetchy, mr 11/13? :P

Tetchy, mr 11/13? :P

Its only easy if you know the answers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

12/13 and the Nitrogen one got me too. No science background, just general knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I did it a second time and I'm in the 7% now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Gah, I got 12!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Thought I might get 11, got the lot, sweet. I am so smart. SMRT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭take everything

No

93% of people.
    There's probably a maths one you could take a look at.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

No
    Dubwat wrote: »
    12/13

Nitrogen? Who knew? I went with hydrogen because I thought it was super-abundant and all the next-gen cars were going to run on it. But apparently hydrogen only accounts for 0.000055% of the atmosphere... Think I'll stick with my 2L turbo-diesel for the moment!

Just as well too cause it has a habit of exploding

Hydrogen is by far the most common element in the universe but on earth most of it is joined up with oxygen to form water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

I got 12 out of 13 - Mixed up hydrogen and nitrogen :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Don't know
    Yep got 12, quite irritating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't know
    9/13 - One of which i should definitely have not got wrong, and knew i was picking the wrong answer when i picked it (water boiling - i knew it was nails rusting!!!).

Ones i got wrong:

Which is smaller, Electrons or atoms.
    Which gas makes up most of the Earth’s atmosphere
    Which is an example of a chemical reaction
    What gas do most scientists believe causes temperatures in the atmosphere to rise

Not bad considering i hated science in school, and we didn't have seperate classes, all 3 were lumped into one "science" class (maybe that's the standard, i don't know!). The only one i was interested in was the one where i made a radio! Gave it up after Junior Cert (1998). Any interest i had in science came in the last 5 years. Which is more an indication of the education system than anything else. Also, my school screwed me over. Got a D in pass French in the Junior and an A in Higher Technical Graphics, wanted to do TG in the leaving but they wouldn't let me because it was clashing with French, and i HAD to do French...

Also, for those saying that it was simple, easy, only idiots would get less than 13, etc, grow up. Must be great living on your lofty high horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭magicmushroom

You answered 9 of 13 questions correctly.

Oh dear :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Xavi6 wrote: »
    9/13

Failed Physics in the Leaving, hated Biology, and stopped Chemistry after the Junior Cert. Having zero interest in science these days makes me quite satisfied with 9 actually.

Was it not just a general science class you did up to junior cert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Got ten right, without using Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

No
    i feel real good now:) I got all 13, the first 3 were difficult but after that they were just general knowladge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭camel jockey

12 out of 13, I got the electron vs atom one wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

13/13

In fairness it's not the most difficult quiz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Don't know
    Was it not just a general science class you did up to junior cert?

Yep, and I probably learned all the answers in those three years. Thirteen years or so later all that has gone right out of my head.

Science is up there with politics as a subject I take no conscious interest in as an adult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

No
    The poll suggests we have a skewed population in after hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yep, and I probably learned all the answers in those three years. Thirteen years or so later all that has gone right out of my head.

Science is up there with politics as a subject I take no conscious interest in as an adult.
    I'd be the same. Well sometimes I'd have an interest in science but generally it's not something that excites me too much. I really don't enjoy science fiction either. I'm more of a realism kind of person.

Advertisement