Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are you one of the 7%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Sierra 117

Don't know
    12 out of 13.

I got the electron/atom question wrong. For some reason I got confused and blanked that electrons are a part of atoms, thus are smaller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No
    Inquitus wrote: »
    Aye but you said 16yo males, the education system has come on a great deal in modern times so 23% of all males is a far cry from 1 in 4 16yos, hence your statement is hugely misleading, as we can see from the recent stat I linked, our literacy is among the best in the OECD.

This is a late reply but as you said Wibbs is misleading. Ireland came 4th in the OECD, 2nd in Europe and in the top ten overall for 15 year olds reading ability. Older generations are probably bringing the stats down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

No
    I'd be the same. Well sometimes I'd have an interest in science but generally it's not something that excites me too much. I really don't enjoy science fiction either. I'm more of a realism kind of person.

Isn't science real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

No
    13. Only dodgy one was fracking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Don't know
    Goddamn it I got 12. I mean damn.

Well, Christmas is ruined for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Don't know
    12 of 13 . got the Which gas makes up most of the Earth’s atmosphere? wrong , knew it wasn't oxyegen but wasn't sure and went for hydrogen :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No
    Tigger wrote: »
    The poll suggests we have a skewed population in after hours

No question. The average boards contributor is pretty smart and well educated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

No
    Worrying (for Americans) that the average is only 8.4. I wonder what the statistical expectation of guessing the answers at random would be. Any statisticians out there? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No
    jonski wrote: »
    12 of 13 . got the Which gas makes up most of the Earth’s atmosphere? wrong , knew it wasn't oxyegen but wasn't sure and went for hydrogen :(
    BANG!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No
    porsche959 wrote: »
    Worrying (for Americans) that the average is only 8.4. I wonder what the statistical expectation of guessing the answers at random would be. Any statisticians out there? ;)

Probability of guessing all 13 correctly would be 0.00012. Or in other words, it would only happen 12 times in 100,000 attempts.

Actually, that's if the answers were all true or false, but some of them have three or four options, so the probability is even lower again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

No
    13 from 13, all very basic questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Isn't science real?

Are we really expected to believe there are electrons flying about like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

No
    Probability of guessing all 13 correctly would be 0.00012. Or in other words, it would only happen 12 times in 100,000 attempts.

Actually, that's if the answers were all true or false, but some of them have three or four options, so the probability is even lower again.

Sorry, didn't phrase question right. What I was curious about is what we statistically expect to score from randomly guessing the answers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

No
    Ok 13/13, but mostly basic stuff with one or two needing a moment.
    It was more interesting to read the stats at the end showing that it appeared that only the US college grads did well. Does it say something about American education.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No
    porsche959 wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't phrase question right. What I was curious about is what we statistically expect to score from randomly guessing the answers.

Ah, well then it's a bell curve:

0 - 0.0001220703125

1 - 0.0015869140625

2 - 0.009521484375

3 - 0.034912109375

4 - 0.0872802734375

5 - 0.1571044921875

6 - 0.20947265625

7 - 0.20947265625

8 - 0.1571044921875

9 - 0.0872802734375

10 - 0.034912109375

11 - 0.009521484375

12 - 0.0015869140625

13 - 0.0001220703125

About 40% of people would get either 6 or 7 right. Again, these probabilities are for true or false answers only.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TheBrinch

got 12 out of 13. Im happy enough with this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

13 out of 13 - but a few seemed kinda 'meh'. Fracking is pretty specific and I wouldn't expect the average person to know it.

Only got the red blood cell one because of Lance Armstrong. A lying cheater he might be, but at least he is educating the youth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭kirb42

12 out of 13.......once they don't make it compulsory.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No
    UCDVet wrote: »
    13 out of 13 - but a few seemed kinda 'meh'. Fracking is pretty specific and I wouldn't expect the average person to know it.

I'd say a lot of people would just assume that it's oil.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No

The quiz is aimed at a US audience where fracking would be far more topical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

No
    I am one of the 7%.

To be honest it was all either basic science, or things that would be regular news items appearing a few times a year.

Very surprised its 7%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Don't know
    Lesson from poll...There are lot of posters googling in AH it seems :)

moxin wrote: »
    Lesson from poll...There are lot of posters googling in AH it seems :)

I think the types of people who are willing to spend time taking a 13 question quiz about science on the nights leading up to Christmas are probably the most likely to do well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Tobyglen

No
    Pretty easy test if you have a degree in Science. Average boards user would be a lot higher than average person in Ireland. Lower age, higher educated, many would have studied physics/chemistry/biology for the leaving cert.

People interested in doing quizzes would normally be people that do well at quizzes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Only got the red blood cell one because of Lance Armstrong

So I guess you're not really a UCD Vet then!

No
    I think the types of people who are willing to spend time taking a 13 question quiz about science on the nights leading up to Christmas are probably the most likely to do well :)
    People like a challenge and want to be part of the 7% as well! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

12/13 like most here with that score I goofed the hydrogen/nitrogen answer. Not sure why. I blame airships.

So I guess you're not really a UCD Vet then!

Nah - never been to UCD and I don't like animals. I do computer stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

12/13

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

13/13 but it was all easy stuff, I was expecting harder questions for only 7% getting full marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I love the smart arses who claim it was a doddle (of course without proof) and I wonder what normal person more than ten years out of school (36 years in my case) would know the electron/atom answer) Yes, most of the answers including fracking are things one would pick up off the news but electron and atom.

PS. Happy Christmas. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

10/13. I impressed myself with that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

No
    I love the smart arses who claim it was a doddle (of course without proof) and I wonder what normal person more than ten years out of school (36 years in my case) would know the electron/atom answer) Yes, most of the answers including fracking are things one would pick up off the news but electron and atom.

Two atoms are hanging out. One says to the other "I'm afraid I've lost an electron...". The other atom asks "Are you sure?", and the first one replies, "I'm positive!".

QED.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

No

Well in fairness it's elementary!
    Because elements are made of atoms :P

No

I was very surprised that the quiz was so easy, the last time I saw the inside of a school (as a pupil) was about 35 years ago. Some of us just continue to acquire knowledge for the sake of it, rather than having the fear a teacher for not learning it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

13-13 7% thought this was going to be a lot tougher seems like common general knowledge on science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

No
    13 out of 13
    Was expecting something a little more challenging. Surprised so few people know that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No
    I was very surprised that the quiz was so easy, the last time I saw the inside of a school (as a pupil) was about 35 years ago. Some of us just continue to acquire knowledge for the sake of it, rather than having the fear a teacher for not learning it.
    Same here, 13/13 and 40 years out of school myself, but still keep my addled, ageing brain active :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Pretty easy test if you have a degree in Science. Average boards user would be a lot higher than average person in Ireland. Lower age, higher educated, many would have studied physics/chemistry/biology for the leaving cert.

And yet their and there still baffles most of them. Not to mention your and you're:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

No
    13/13. Not really that challenging tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

13/13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

Don't know
    12/13

I'm kicking myself because I should have known the Atmosphere / Nitrogen one which I got wrong. Memory is failing I guess.

Apart from the 2 questions about the atmosphere and the atom, all the other questions would have been known by anybody who follows the news, it's just plain general knowledge even if there's a science angle.

Ye guys who never heard of 'fracking' - well its been in the news on a fairly regular basis for the last while because of opposition to plans to introduce the technology to Ireland.

I don't think the poll can be compared to the one carried out in the States because this one is only representative of the people who volunteered to answer. People who scored low would not be inclined to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

Don't know
    As boards is mostly young wans in their 20's and younger, I demand a "re-poll" in 20 yrs time to make it fair for those of us who left school many yrs ago. Think of it a test of your memory and knowledge, those who still do well will of course not have to worry about old age memory problems :P

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Professor Knowall

No
    13 out of 13 (two of them were lucky guesses!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Don't know
    8/13, I was expecting lower, Science was my "daydream out the window" class in school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Got them all but the question about chemical reactions doesn't have a wrong answer. The hydration of sugar and the state change of water is a chemical reaction just like the oxidation of iron.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

No
    basic stuff really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

No
    I got the supposedly hard ones (the atom and the atmosphere) right because I learnt that doing my Inter cert. Likewise the rusting question. I can easily see how someone who hated science or who's forgotten due to the passage of time could get them wrong.

Other ones like UV rays burning you and CO2 being a greenhouse gas are pretty much common knowledge. For me, fracking fitted in with them because nearly every paper I read has a fracking feature in it. Not in the science section mind you.

For me, the hardest one was the question about laser. I was never taught about it and it's never cropped up in my life, apart from CD players. That was a fluke.

I'd love to have a look at the science exam for schoolchildren in the States. I'm imagining it having questions like How long does pregnancy last? What is the freezing point of water? Which is stronger, timber or steel?

The States definitely has some of the best postgraduate programmes in the world but that's an accident of geography. The elite students who uphold the colleges' reputations are recruited from all over the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    Got them all but the question about chemical reactions doesn't have a wrong answer. The hydration of sugar and the state change of water is a chemical reaction just like the oxidation of iron.

No new chemical is created by disolving sugar in water, it's just a physical change of form,not a change of identity. If it was a chemical reaction a new chemical would result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Agonist

No
    No new chemical is created by disolving sugar in water, it's just a physical change of form,not a change of identity. If it was a chemical reaction a new chemical would result.

I was just about to reply to that. When iron rust it oxidizes. The original molecule based on iron Fe is totally changed by the reaction with oxygen O, and maybe some water, H20.
    So Fe ->Fe+O+H20 A totally different substance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement