Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL router surge protector?

Options
  • 23-12-2013 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭

So with the thunder storms we've had around the country unfortunately i didnt escape. the lightening obviously struck the stupidly placed overhead telephone cables and went right through our line and damaged the router.

This is the second time ive been struck and had my router fried. Unlike the last time which blew up and took a computer out with it. i was a little bit luckier in that the Router does work but the ADSL section looks fried. Refuses to establish a stable connection and thinks there is no DSL cable connected. Ive rebooted, factory restored. left off for over 24hrs but nothing works. opened it up just there everything looks intact and no scorched marks on the ports. But im no expert on what to be looking for, not even an amateur

So im sick of this happening and looking around on the interwebs in how to solve this issue to protect the most expensive stuff and most obvious is a surge protector on the line before it gets to the router. But there are mixed reviews on this idea.
    So is it worth getting one? our line is terrible from eircom getting less than average 0.50mbps although doing current speed test got 1.75mbps will a surge protector affect the little bit of speed we have?
    I need to get another router cause the eircom one is a joke not reliable. but I cant afford to have a 3rd router destroyed. So what is the best solution to deal with this problem? and where to buy one. any advice is welcome

Current router is NETGEAR N300 DGN2200

Thanks,
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Jhcx wrote: »
    So with the thunder storms we've had around the country unfortunately i didnt escape. the lightening obviously struck the stupidly placed overhead telephone cables and went right through our line and damaged the router.

This is the second time ive been struck and had my router fried. Unlike the last time which blew up and took a computer out with it. i was a little bit luckier in that the Router does work but the ADSL section looks fried. Refuses to establish a stable connection and thinks there is no DSL cable connected. Ive rebooted, factory restored. left off for over 24hrs but nothing works. opened it up just there everything looks intact and no scorched marks on the ports. But im no expert on what to be looking for, not even an amateur

So im sick of this happening and looking around on the interwebs in how to solve this issue to protect the most expensive stuff and most obvious is a surge protector on the line before it gets to the router. But there are mixed reviews on this idea.
    So is it worth getting one? our line is terrible from eircom getting less than average 0.50mbps although doing current speed test got 1.75mbps will a surge protector affect the little bit of speed we have?
    I need to get another router cause the eircom one is a joke not reliable. but I cant afford to have a 3rd router destroyed. So what is the best solution to deal with this problem? and where to buy one. any advice is welcome

Current router is NETGEAR N300 DGN2200

Thanks,
    J

Same for me, my third router blown last night in lightening storm, any advice appreciated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can buy power socket boards which include surge protection and some of them have in and out telephone sockets which allow you to protect your router.

Example: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masterplug-SRPTU82PB-Charging-Protected-Extension/dp/B006HFMEMO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1400706728&sr=8-3&keywords=power+surge+protector

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You sometimes see surge protectors in Aldi/Lidl which include phone ports. The really annoying thing is the phone ports tend to be for the BT style phone plugs which we don't use here!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Hey. I got sorted since this problem. In homebase they have the multi plug socket with surge protection for phone both English and Irish line costs about 15 euro from what I can remember.

Advertisement