Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gael linn vs oideas gael Gaeltacht cursanna

• 23-12-2013 9:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

haileo!

Im learning irish again for the first time in a long while, through night classes once a week. am very aware of how much my spoken irish needs working on, and am also finding the progress of night classes once a week (and with long breaks in between terms) very slow and frustrating

so im hoping to go on one of the week-long gaeltacht courses this summer. being from the north originally, ive been trying to focus on the ulster dialect, so have been looking at courses in donegal

gael linn run a course in goath dobhair and oideas gael in gleann colm cille. does anyone have any thoughts on either of them?

oideas gael is €50 cheaper and also has the benefit of the school sorting your accom out, whereas with gael linn you do it yourself. however im very nuch focused on having a bit of banter and craic along the way to make learnkng more enjoyable, so if the gael linn courses are more fun then id go with it

anyone been to either?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

haileo!

Im learning irish again for the first time in a long while, through night classes once a week. am very aware of how much my spoken irish needs working on, and am also finding the progress of night classes once a week (and with long breaks in between terms) very slow and frustrating

so im hoping to go on one of the week-long gaeltacht courses this summer. being from the north originally, ive been trying to focus on the ulster dialect, so have been looking at courses in donegal

gael linn run a course in goath dobhair and oideas gael in gleann colm cille. does anyone have any thoughts on either of them?

oideas gael is €50 cheaper and also has the benefit of the school sorting your accom out, whereas with gael linn you do it yourself. however im very nuch focused on having a bit of banter and craic along the way to make learnkng more enjoyable, so if the gael linn courses are more fun then id go with it

anyone been to either?

I don't know anything about the Gael Linn course but I went to Oideas Gael last year. The emphasis is on spoken Irish in a very enjoyable atmosphere. Having the accommodation organised is brill. I was just next door to the Oideas Gael building. People go back year after year and that is testimony to the great time and great strides they make on the course. Would give it 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

teileann wrote: »
    I don't know anything about the Gael Linn course but I went to Oideas Gael last year. The emphasis is on spoken Irish in a very enjoyable atmosphere. Having the accommodation organised is brill. I was just next door to the Oideas Gael building. People go back year after year and that is testimony to the great time and great strides they make on the course. Would give it 100%.

Mind me asking what the social scene was like? what's the general age profile of people who go on the adult courses?

what level did you attend? I'm thinking intermediate as I'm not a total beginner but am worried everyone would be more advanced. really I'm a lower intermediate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭teileann

All ages catered for. Liam will tell you what level to attend. It can vary depending on the people attending that particular week. There is no need to worry. It is all about trying out the bit of Irish that you have. A lot of people from abroad attend which gives a good mix. Social scene seems to centre around the local pub. Also there are activivies in Oideas Gael in the evenings.

Advertisement