Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More than 6 months with same employer

Options
  • 23-12-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Is there a visa that allows you to stay more than 6 months with one employer? The contracts in all of the jobs I'm looking for are 12 month contracts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Is there a visa that allows you to stay more than 6 months with one employer? The contracts in all of the jobs I'm looking for are 12 month contracts.

Permanent resident visa, you can do pretty much what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

there is a loop hole if you have done your regional work, if you work the last 6 months of your first year visa with this company you are entitled to work the first 6 months of your second year visa with the same employer,

either that or the company has to offer you sponsorship

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

there is a loop hole if you have done your regional work, if you work the last 6 months of your first year visa with this company you are entitled to work the first 6 months of your second year visa with the same employer,

either that or the company has to offer you sponsorship

That's hardly a loophole. The first and second year visas are treated as separate visas. Sponsorship is an option if you are not eligible for permanent residency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

There are ways depending on companies. I worked for a company for 6 months then resigned and was reemployed by a sister company that had a different ABN number. After 12 months I was into my 2nd year and reverted back to the first company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

pete4130 wrote: »
    There are ways depending on companies. I worked for a company for 6 months then resigned and was reemployed by a sister company that had a different ABN number. After 12 months I was into my 2nd year and reverted back to the first company.

i'm sure this has been done by plenty but i think its breaking the rules, just fyi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 missusblagh

Thanks for responses.
    The permanent resident visa means you have to work 2 years there first.
    I don't think there really is a way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Thanks for responses.

not the case, you can get a PR visa without ever leaving ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks for responses.
    I don't think there really is a way!

That's not correct

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

when it states 6 months , hows that broken down, ive roughly worked 4 months with my current employer but there was days missing in that 4 months. Does 1 day worked in a week equal a week in their eyes or is it broken down day by day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

tonydude wrote: »
    when it states 6 months , hows that broken down, ive roughly worked 4 months with my current employer but there was days missing in that 4 months. Does 1 day worked in a week equal a week in their eyes or is it broken down day by day.

It's 6 calender months. Doesn't matter if you only work 2 days a week in those 6 months.

• Advertisement

6 months after your first day, you are supposed to finish up.
    The only exception is is you have a two or more distinct periods of service. ie Work for 3 months, take two months off to travel, then come back to work - here you are allowed another 3 months. Random sick days don't count, as a rough guide I'd

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

Mellor wrote: »
    6 months after your first day, you are supposed to finish up.
    The only exception is is you have a two or more distinct periods of service. ie Work for 3 months, take two months off to travel, then come back to work - here you are allowed another 3 months. Random sick days don't count, as a rough guide I'd

Just curious but where does it say that it can be broken into periods of service? Never heard that before.

s.c wrote: »
    Just curious but where does it say that it can be broken into periods of service? Never heard that before.
    It doesn't explicitly say you can break it into periods. Nor does it say you have to work for an employer in a single block. Imo it's implied my the fact that the visa is a work and holiday visa, the point is to supplement your travel/holiday with short periods of work.

I worked 4 months then travelled for 3 months so can I return to do my other 2 months, what happens if you go over your 6 month period with an employer

tonydude wrote: »
    I worked 4 months then travelled for 3 months so can I return to do my other 2 months, what happens if you go over your 6 month period with an employer

If you resigned then you can. If you were kept on the books as leave without pay etc you will not be able to return to the same employer in your first year.

If you resigned then you can. If you were kept on the books as leave without pay etc you will not be able to return to the same employer in your first year.

I was working as a contractor with an abn , Does that count

I'm not 100% sure about it but if you are self employed and have your own ABN number you can work for as long as you want. I recall thinking that might have been an option for myself at one point. In fact, a friend of mine worked for a company for far longer than 6 months and he had his own ABN.
    You really need to just give immigration a call to double check. Call them as early in the morning as you can or forever be stuck on hold….

Hard to find definitive info on it but this link here http://www.caninivisa.com.au/en/visas/working-holiday-visa-417 says

"-if you are self-employed, that’s to say you hold an ABN yourself, you cannot work for just the same client, because that would be considered direct employment; instead you can work for the same client together with other clients over a period of more than six months, as long as it is clear that you have more users of your services;"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

From the main 417 page under visa holders obligations.
    This six-month limit applies to all types of work, including:

full-time
    part-time
    casual
    shift
    voluntary work
    workplace-based training
    self-employment.

I'm not 100% sure about it but if you are self employed and have your own ABN number you can work for as long as you want. I recall thinking that might have been an option for myself at one point. In fact, a friend of mine worked for a company for far longer than 6 months and he had his own ABN.
    Having an ABN number doesn't mean you can work for more than 6 months. The same rules still apply.
    The link you posted refers to working self employed were you split your services between a number of companies. In that case you could possibly go over 6 calender months if you spread your time out.

@TonyDude
    If you've worked for the company for 4 months on as a contractor. You can go back and do another 2 months before your 6 month limitation is up. After that you'd be breaching your visa conditions.

Mellor wrote: »
    Having an ABN number doesn't mean you can work for more than 6 months. The same rules still apply.
    The link you posted refers to working self employed were you split your services between a number of companies. In that case you could possibly go over 6 calender months if you spread your time out.

@TonyDude
    If you've worked for the company for 4 months on as a contractor. You can go back and do another 2 months before your 6 month limitation is up. After that you'd be breaching your visa conditions.
    Thanks that's all I needed to year , earning some money to come home

• Advertisement

Hi guys this is still going through my head and trying to clarify the correct amount of time ive worked is annoying me, I started the job on the 20th June and finished up on the 10 th of October, that's makes 3.5 months to my calculations , would that be right and would immigration see it that way? thanks

Advertisement