Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tennis ball smell?

• 23-12-2013 11:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

How is possible that Jago can always find the tennis ball?
    He is tennis ball obsessed, so when we are at home I allow him to play for a while and then I hide them.
    If I forgot in the pocket after a walk he can find them and that's ok.

But for example he just found a tennisball in my handbag that was on the shelf, quite big handbag with a lot of things inside and he cannot remember that it was there because it's not its usual place and it was there for days :P

It's crazy how powerful is the nose of our dogs!

(we play with the tennisball in the dark and Jago loves running and trying to find the ball when he can barely see it!)

Comments

The Rubber smell ?? Alot of dogs toys are rubber

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Without any shadow of a doubt, tennis balls give off a distinctive and obvious odour to dogs. My spaniel x Shih Tsu is a consummate tennis-ball-finder... a few times a year I bring her down to the local tennis courts, which have dense growth all around the outside of them, and she scores ball after ball after ball.. she LOVES it! We even had a competition between her and my OH, and she won pretty convincingly :D
    My GSD is a professional sniffer dog, and I can send her huge distances to find a tennis ball that she doesn't know is there. It's a nice break from her usual work, she hugely enjoys it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

“It sounds silly, in this age of technology, when we have millions of dollars-worth of equipment beeping around me, that we had a little dog who was more sensitive than all the machines,” Dr. Brad Taicher, Kaelyn’s anesthesiologist

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/12/20/service-dog-stays-with-7-year-old-girl-through-surgery/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog is the same for finding them and will even distinguish between his ball and another dogs when he's retrieving them lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

my youngest dog is obsessed with tennis balls too. He sometimes finds another dogs ball when out walking ( actually he invariably finds something when we are out walking :)) I reckon the 'fabric' on the ball absorbs all the lovely spit and slime and owners-hand smells - given a dogs nose is millions of times more sensitive than ours, its not surprising they can find a tennis ball anywhere!

• Advertisement
Advertisement