Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Becoming a Godparent

• 23-12-2013 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm going to be a godparent to a baby girl in the new year. I've not done anything like this before.

What type of gift should I give (I'd prefer to simply give cash - how much is acceptable)?
    What do I do at the Christening?
    How do I handle birthdays and Xmas etc (considering she has a sibling)? Do I even need to do anything?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

Re: christening gift, give whatever you want. If giving cash, give what you can afford, there isn't an acceptable amount. Often godparents get a keepsake or memorable gift, there are particular traditional ones like a little silver jug or something (only seen this being bought once ever by/for a very "country" christening), or something that the parents want/need for the baby etc.

At the christening you have to agree to the things the priest asks you, stand up with the parents for the baptism at the font, that's it really.

For birthday and Christmas I don't really understand the question. You just always buy them a gift or something. As my godchild is the youngest of a large family they don't require presents/toys/clothes much at all, so I opened an account when he was born that I put money into at each birthday, Christmas, Communion, etc, and will give it in a lump sum when my godchild is 21, or 25, or something. I give token gifts usually then, sometimes I don't, doesn't matter really.

In our family we usually have a slightly closer bond with a godparent than other relatives, they take more of an interest and are there for the child should they want anything, advice, etc. That's the main and most important role, gifts are just a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

It's a self defining role.

I met my godmother three times. Have no idea don't know who my godfather is.

My little one has godparents, but they have been fired because they suck at it.

So really it's entirely up to you. Minimum is expected is to dress nicely and show up to the Christening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

It means different things to different people. I'm godparent to some friends children and it's a nice way to link the families together I think.

Within the family, it seems to mean more babysitting duties. :)

Birthday and christmas pressies are what we do. No amount or gift in particular. We do our best to keep up a relationship with the child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Ended up giving €50. Hopefully it was sufficient :D

Advertisement