Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Introducing new dog/puppy in the new year, tips?

• 24-12-2013 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

Hi all, some of you may remember my thread from September when my Labrador, Frankie , passed away.

I apologize in advance for the long thread!

My dad feels ready to add another dog to the family and For the last few weeks he has been constantly talking about springer spaniels and he wants to add one to our family after Christmas. Ideally we'd like to adopt from a shelter/pound instead of a breeder so that we won't be contributing to the over populating.

I'd like to hear from others who have experience with the breed as we've never owned a springer before. I've read tons of books, watched loads of videos but I want to be as prepared as I can be. My cousin has a 16 year old springer who is a sweetheart. My dad goes for a 6 mile run/walk every day so the dog (or puppy when it's old enough) will get plenty of exercise as I know they are a high energy breed.

(1)Do they respond well to treat/toy training?
    (2)Are they generally sociable with other animals? (I have two cats & a bossy jack Russell)
    (3)Are they easy to house train? (Dog will be inside most of the day & all night)
    (4)What are the most important points I need to know?

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

sorry no info on springers except I believe they are well named :)

Just wanted to say nice to hear a rescue woofer is getting a home in the New Year.

I wonder would it be worth contacting the rescues now to say that what you are thinking about so that if a suitable dog comes in they could give you a call rather. Im sure they would be delighted to have a list of home offers rather than the usual waiting list to come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

If you're planning in getting a rescue couldn't you foster for a bit first and see how they fit without making a full on commitment?
    I fostered my second furry baby and ended up keeping her although I wasn't familiar with the breed. She fits in lovely with my other darling Luther.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I don't have personal experience with springer spaniels, but I have seen a lot of them running with the owners :) so I think he/she will be really happy to join your dad!
    I didn't know anything about the breed and I am starting to know them now, they look lovely and friendly and very very active to me :)
    Good choice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I can only really answer Q's 1 and 2, from my daycare experiences. I've met a fair few springers and they have all been highly toy motivated and got along really well with other dogs. Not a breed I have ever had complaints with.

Of course like all dogs they'll need proper training (even to learn to play with toys) and socialization in order for them to be well balanced like the springers I've met.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Thank you everyone for the advice
    Mince Pie wrote: »
    If you're planning in getting a rescue couldn't you foster for a bit first and see how they fit without making a full on commitment?
    I fostered my second furry baby and ended up keeping her although I wasn't familiar with the breed. She fits in lovely with my other darling Luther.

I would love to foster but the majority of rescues wanted us to live closer in case of emergency etc

I sent an email off to a well known rescue yesterday about an adult springer cross and two springer babies last night. The babies were already gone to their new homes so we have planned to go see the adult springer spaniel cross next week all going well :)

• Advertisement

Been a while but just to update the Thread and As promised in the Chillout Zone here is our new baby Alli :) She is a five month old Springer Spaniel cross Border Collie that we rescued. Mum was a springer and dad was a working border collie. She seems to have her dads work ethic as she is so attentive and clever. She and her siblings were dumped in the pound before the rescue got them out.

I am crate training her which is going fine (we only have her 6 hours so early days), she doesn't like being left alone at all! I took her crate into the sitting room with me and Moone, she still whined but one growl from Moone and she stopped :p She's fast asleep now, she snores and moans in her sleep. It'll be interesting to see how she gets on when I go to bed, I have a feeling its going to be a sleepless night :D

1558598_10201255090927859_272283938_n.jpg

OMG she is just adorable!!

She is the sweetest little thing, always wanting cuddles. She's so gentle :) I was expecting some hyper puppy but she's pretty chilled out.

SingItOut wrote: »
    She is the sweetest little thing, always wanting cuddles. She's so gentle :) I was expecting some hyper puppy but she's pretty chilled out.

Ha, give it time! Shes just getting used to you. When we adopted our lurcher she was on her best behaviour for about a week. Then she started to show her personality. Lol

Oh we were well warned she has a mischievous side and also if she's fed after 6 she's a monster haha

• Advertisement

Springer and collie mix, I wouldn't expect anything less. You could forgive anything to that adorable face though.

I'm hoping to get her into obedience classes as soon as possible. Every time she growls in her sleep Moone looks at me like "seriously? I'm trying to sleep!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Wowzers, I fostered a puppy here in Louth about three years back that is the short-haired spit of her!!

262965_265511286797212_5944451_n.jpg

Hope he hasn't been at any messing :P

Seriously though, she's a beauty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

All the best with her, she looks great. More pics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Holy cow she's gorgeous! I adore her nose pattern! Congrats and best of luck with her :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Been a while but just to update the Thread and As promised in the Chillout Zone here is our new baby Alli :) She is a five month old Springer Spaniel cross Border Collie that we rescued. Mum was a springer and dad was a working border collie. She seems to have her dads work ethic as she is so attentive and clever. She and her siblings were dumped in the pound before the rescue got them out.

I am crate training her which is going fine (we only have her 6 hours so early days), she doesn't like being left alone at all! I took her crate into the sitting room with me and Moone, she still whined but one growl from Moone and she stopped :p She's fast asleep now, she snores and moans in her sleep. It'll be interesting to see how she gets on when I go to bed, I have a feeling its going to be a sleepless night :D

1558598_10201255090927859_272283938_n.jpg

She is beautiful - I love her pinkish nose - she certainly has the good looks of a BC but then I'm biased - with Springer and Collie she'll probably love agility games - and my personal experience with collies they are great dogs - always interested and loyal friends - hope you have many, many happy years together.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Wowzers, I fostered a puppy here in Louth about three years back that is the short-haired spit of her!!

Hope he hasn't been at any messing :P

Seriously though, she's a beauty!

Maybe he had some fun before he got fixed :pac:

@pretzil - I'm getting her into obedience classes next week (we missed last night starter night argh!) but the trainer also holds agility classes so I was going to get the two dogs into classes for it :)

More pics as requested :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Maybe he had some fun before he got fixed :pac:

@pretzil - I'm getting her into obedience classes next week (we missed last night starter night argh!) but the trainer also holds agility classes so I was going to get the two dogs into classes for it :)

More pics as requested :)

I'm currently on the hunt for agility props to set one up in the garden - my three year old collie is mad for games, ball, frisbee, find the toy etc and I'm trying to channel all her energy into a game we can both get some exercise out of! I recognise that feet up in the air pose my 4 month old is lying beside me at the mo legs akimbo! I love the little grumpy expression on Moone - are they getting along ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Alli is an absolute beauty, but Moone is my kinda dog :D She has that older dogs "sick of this new pup" look on her face! Hopefully when Alli is grown up, they will be great friends - how old is Moone?

Pretzill, my daughter built an agility course for our dogs - lots of recycled childrens plastic toys - slides, see-saws, tent tunnels etc. Talk to friends with children! You can do a lot with pallets if you can get your hands on some, and go to your local tire seller too! As long as they are safely assembled (for your dog) you can have great fun - think cross country course for horses!

@pretzill - moone always has a grumpy little face when somebody is else is looking for my attention :D their getting along a lot better than I thought they would. Moone is a really jealous dog if any other pets come near me. Alli is so playful but she's a bit rough for moone so moone is letting her know if she's had enough. I'm happy with moone though she's taking it a lot better than expected. The two of them were out in the garden playing most of the day.

@aonB - moone will be 4 in April so she's still quite young herself, she's just really narky with other animals apart from a select few doggy friends :) my labrador was always gentle with her so it's a bit of a shock to her system. Alli and moone slept side by side today so I'm sure they'll settle together in the coming weeks :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement