Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple putting a hold on my debit card

Options
  • 24-12-2013 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi,

I am getting my phone replaced by Apple. They told me they will send a courrier to my house with a new iPhone and give me a box to put my faulty phone in to send back to them. They said a 699Eur hold will be put on my account until they receive the faulty phone.

I have a student current account with AIB and have a debit card. My question is, do i need to have 699Eur in my account for them to put the hold on it?

Im hoping so because I'm in my overdraft :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm not sure what they mean by a hold, it could be a pre authorisation to check you have the money in which case it will just bounce and they will have to call you again possible looking for a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭John.

I don't have to pay them 699 euro

They put a hold of 699 euro Incase i don't send the faulty phone back

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

The hold on your card will require the funds to be available in your account.

What happens is Apple tell your card issuer (Bank) that they wish to hold the funds in sanction for a possible purchase. The funds do not actually leave your account but they are unusable. Apple then have until the hold expires (usually 28 days) to charge. If they don't charge, then the authorization will expire (usually 28 days after it was created) and the funds are released back to your account for use.

You can avoid this by sending them your phone first, then once they receive the phone, they send you out a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^7 working days for a pre-auth.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

^^7 working days for a pre-auth.

Yes, depends on the bank policy, expiry times differ between banks. Only way to know for sure is to call the number on the back of the debit/credit card and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭John.

thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭discodavie

Apple held mine for a month before taking the money. Fought them for a bit but got it back.

Advertisement