Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost credit union cheque

Options
  • 24-12-2013 2:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

I had a credit union cheque in my room for months yet lost it. I'm pretty sure it's not stolen/cashed, just simply badly misplaced.

E300 left the sender's account on the day it was sent to the recipient (me), I didn't think it would leave the sender's account until cashed but there we go.

Is there a way of retrieving the money? Can the Credit Union trace that it has not been cashed or anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Contact the CU. Give them as much information as you can about the cheque, especially the payee's name (which I presume is your name) and the date of the cheque. I imagine that you cannot give an exact date, but I hope you can give a good estimate. Telling them the name of the person who sent you the cheque would also be helpful.

Of course the money is recorded as gone from the sender's account. That's how it should be. The money should be in the CU's bank account, waiting for you to claim it. Once they are satisfied with your explanations, they can put a stop on the mislaid cheque and issue a fresh one.

There is a cost to them, so don't complain if they charge that cost to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭phormium

It left the senders account on the day it was withdrawn because the credit union cheque is more of a bank draft than a personal cheque, you buy it on the day with money from your account. It is not the same as having a chequebook on your own account where you write the cheque yourself and give it to someone, that type won't be debited from the issuer's account until it is cashed.

Either way it should be possible to get it stopped if not cashed and reissued, sender may need to be involved though as they were the customer that purchased it.

Advertisement