Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phn - Urgent

Options
  • 24-12-2013 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Does anybody knows if phn are available today?
    I rang her yesterday and left a message but she never returned my call. I rang again today but don't want to keep waiting all day if nothing is going to happen.. I need to talk to someone today, otherwise it'll be next week before I can see someone with Xmas on the way and all.. Anybody any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'm not sure they are working today but if it's that urgent would you not take the little one to the doctor?

What's the problem, if it's not medical advice you need I'm sure someone here could give you a bit of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭amira

Thanks January.
    It's urgent coz I don't want to wait till after Xmas.. My GP is fully booked out today and I don't think is a matter of a&e.
    My baby is 4 weeks old tomorrow. For the last 10 days she's been constipated. She was originally being breastfed, then had to be combined with formula, aptamil 1, and since yesterday is solely formula fed. She only dirties the nappy every 2 or 3 days and it comes as an explosion. When the phn saw her last she recommended water with brown sugar. Baby had a poo as the phn was visiting so we thought that'd be the end of it, and that she recommended the water/sugar as a once off, but as I said, since then, things have not really improved and not sure I should just keep giving water.. When there must be something causing this in first place, maybe the formula? But I wouldn't want to go changing either without advice? Since she told us is not good to be changing.. So don't know what to do..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Well, don't just give the baby water - it needs breast or formula milk.

Doubt you would get anybody at all today, either doc or PHN.

Keep feeding as normal, don't go chopping and changing formulas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

This happened to my baby too, she finally pooed as I was in th phone speaking to a nurse from the hospital, so I didn't need her advice in the end! Why dont you ring the maternity hospital, a nurse will ring you back if they are too busy.

Also do you know about the out of hours service? In my area it is d doc, you talk to a nurse and I have found them to be brilliant, you only have to pay if you then bring them to the doctor after you talk ro the nurse.

They are a great source of knowledge and advice and are always very up to date with their information.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

talk to the pharmacist they might be able to help you if the doctor can not see you.
    I find though if you ring the doctors surgery with an ongoing issue that they will ring you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

amira wrote: »
    Thanks January.
    It's urgent coz I don't want to wait till after Xmas.. My GP is fully booked out today and I don't think is a matter of a&e.
    My baby is 4 weeks old tomorrow. For the last 10 days she's been constipated. She was originally being breastfed, then had to be combined with formula, aptamil 1, and since yesterday is solely formula fed. She only dirties the nappy every 2 or 3 days and it comes as an explosion. When the phn saw her last she recommended water with brown sugar. Baby had a poo as the phn was visiting so we thought that'd be the end of it, and that she recommended the water/sugar as a once off, but as I said, since then, things have not really improved and not sure I should just keep giving water.. When there must be something causing this in first place, maybe the formula? But I wouldn't want to go changing either without advice? Since she told us is not good to be changing.. So don't know what to do..

Is she in pain with it? My little boy was the same until he started on solids and I used to panic about it, but he was in no pain, it was obviously just the way he was going to be, just going every two days.
    Have you tried some baby massage? And doing the bicycle movements with her legs? It can do wonders x
    I know its worrying x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Baby massage is good to try get things moving. Some babies don't poop that often. Is the stomach swollen or sore?

Try some boiled water and ring d-doc....they are excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

lay the baby on her back on the changing table and try cycle her legs. It may ease the pressure and get things moving.

This happened at some point with all of ours and usually brown sugar and water did the trick.

A friend of ours did have a similar problem that turned out to be a bit more of an issue and in her case the doc provided her with an implement to insert up the rectum to aid baby in passing solid poo.

If you can I'd try get in touch with caredoc they'll probably be on today.

As someone up above mentioned chop and changing formulas can be hard on the little one.

Good Luck, Kids have a great sense of timing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

There should always be an oncall PHN on for your area. Perhaps ring the actual PHNs office for your area and there should be a message service stating the number for the oncall. What area are you in?

Well, I tried phn but no answer, how can I find out who's the on call one? I tried the health centre and they're closed till January!!

I've tried the massage thing, I actually don't know how often and for how long to do it but I have tríed!

Also the water with brown sugar, how much is it safe to give and for how long? Days?

My GP said she'll give me a call but they're only till 1:30 today and she hasn't called yet.. :(

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    There should always be an oncall PHN on for your area. Perhaps ring the actual PHNs office for your area and there should be a message service stating the number for the oncall. What area are you in?

I'm in Citywest dublin 24, how can I find the phn office in my area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

amira wrote: »
    Well, I tried phn but no answer, how can I find out who's the on call one? I tried the health centre and they're closed till January!!

I've tried the massage thing, I actually don't know how often and for how long to do it but I have tríed!

Also the water with brown sugar, how much is it safe to give and for how long? Days?

My GP said she'll give me a call but they're only till 1:30 today and she hasn't called yet.. :(

The massage I used to do it for five mins or so at a time,just while he was lying on the couch beside me or wherever. Would definitely try the leg movements too if you haven't already. My phn had said to make up a small bottle of it and give it throughout the day. Will she drink cooled boiled water on its own?

This happened to my baby too, she finally pooed as I was in th phone speaking to a nurse from the hospital, so I didn't need her advice in the end! Why dont you ring the maternity hospital, a nurse will ring you back if they are too busy.

Also do you know about the out of hours service? In my area it is d doc, you talk to a nurse and I have found them to be brilliant, you only have to pay if you then bring them to the doctor after you talk ro the nurse.

They are a great source of knowledge and advice and are always very up to date with their information.

No, didn't know about out of hours service, how can I find out which one is in my area?

She hardly drinks the water with the sugar.. Another problem
    I have to give the water is that she basically sleeps between feeds so I can only sneak a bit before the feed, sometimes a bit after.. But nothing in between..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

You can call the maternity hospital, your baby is covered by them up to 6 weeks after the birth.

Switching from breast milk to formula can constipated babies especially if it's done quickly, once her digestive system gets used to it the constipation might ease off.
    Hope you get sorted. Keep spare clothes with you, it'll be a big one when it comes :)

Sorry have only rechecked this thread now. I will check and see if there's a phn on call but it's late now so Im not sure if there's a lot can be done or even if they are still on.

You are covered by your maternity hospital until 6 weeks post birth so is give them a call and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how much sugar do you put in the water? My little man occasionally becomes constipated, I give him a couple of ounces of cooled boiled water but I might try the sugar too.

Hi OP, apparently it's only emergency PHN cover from now. If you're worried do check with your hospital. Hope you get sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Selfbuilder14

My bavies were all breast Fed and my little middle boy now 4 used yo Go for over 10 days. I spoke to the doctor who said over 13 days is a concern. My solution was glycerol suppositories they work a treat just have plenty baby wipes on hand. A pharmacist recommended this to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Selfbuilder14

My bavies were all breast Fed and my little middle boy now 4 used yo Go for over 10 days. I spoke to the doctor who said over 13 days is a concern. My solution was glycerol suppositories they work a treat just have plenty baby wipes on hand. A pharmacist recommended this to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

nikpmup wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but how much sugar do you put in the water? My little man occasionally becomes constipated, I give him a couple of ounces of cooled boiled water but I might try the sugar too.

we were told by or nurse 1/2 tea spoon brown sugar / 2 ounces of water.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

A warm bath usually helps my baby if she's a bit constipated, has helped in less than an hour so quick result! Also recommend the leg cycling movements. HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Are you sure she's constipated OP? You say she sleeps between feeds etc... is she in any discomfort?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

We were told in the antenatal classes to be sure to give formula fed babies water everyday and were reminded of this at the 6 week checkup. As soon as I switched over to formula I started giving her water everyday. Some days she'll only take an oz or two. Other days she'll drink three or four. Bar an initial period of three days when she changed over we have at least two dirty nappies a day. We only added the sugar on the third day of not going and added about a third of a spoon to about 4oz.

I never heard that Roesy, that formula fed babies had to be given water? Thankfully he doesn't get constipated much, a few days when we switched from breastmilk to formula, and occasionally since, I've given him water on two or three occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

nikpmup wrote: »
    I never heard that Roesy, that formula fed babies had to be given water? Thankfully he doesn't get constipated much, a few days when we switched from breastmilk to formula, and occasionally since, I've given him water on two or three occasions.

I never heard it either, heard the opposite in fact. Nothing but breast milk or formula. Water fills them up without having any nutritional value.

liliq wrote: »
    I never heard it either, heard the opposite in fact. Nothing but breast milk or formula. Water fills them up without having any nutritional value.

I was told only for constipation; a couple of ounces to get things moving.

Yea I never heard it either. We were told the opposite. But to start giving a little cold boiled water after a few months only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

You don't replace milk with water, you just try and give bits in between bottles. My phn said to squeeze juice from an orange into some water and it should work

• Advertisement

loubian wrote: »
    You don't replace milk with water, you just try and give bits in between bottles. My phn said to squeeze juice from an orange into some water and it should work

Gosh no never replace milk with water. Don't think anyone was saying that tho. I was told just to start giving a little water after a few months. Maybe it's different for constipation?

I heard the orange juice thing aswell before.... Don't know where I heard it from tho.

Advertisement