Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home baking Cuisine de France baguettes - soft bottom? (Hehe)

Options
  • 24-12-2013 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Having a problem I was hoping someone could help me out with: I'm trying to bake those packaged home-bake baguettes you can get from cuisine de France.
    I'm following their instructions - preheat to gas mark 7, sprinkle water, put the rolls on a baking tray and stick them in the oven for 8-10 minutes. It works really well and they always end up properly crisped - EXCEPT the undersides. For some reason, the crust never seems to crisp for me on the underside, there's always a line down the baguette of undercooked dough on the bottom of it, where it sat on the baking tray. Sometimes this means I actually haw to scrape the baguette off the tray with a knife, leaving some of these soft doughy bits stuck to the tray and having patches on the underside with no crust at all where these soft pieces were left behind on the tray.

I'm sure there's something blindingly obvious I'm missing here, what's the problem? Is it just a case of having to open the oven half way through and turn the rolls over? Why would the tray facing side fail to crisp?

Apologies if this is quite basic, I am, as is probably obvious, quite the baking newb ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,469 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I never use a baking tray, just put them straight onto the wire shelf in the oven. I always have a nice crispy bottom :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

I don't use a baking tray, I just put them directly on the shelf rack thing ... you still get tiny little lines going across from where it was sitting on the wires, but at least they're fully baked through!

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I put them directly on the rack too, and I also turn them halfway through cooking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Put them either straight on the wire rack, or you could try preheating the tray in the oven first

Advertisement