Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House alarm noise

Options
  • 24-12-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

There is a house alarm constantly sounding in the Rathfarnham area. It's quite loud, even above daytime background noise from Nutgrove ave and through double glazed windows. It's annoying as hell, especially at night, my two year old gets woken constantly by that thing. Falling asleep with that thing roaring is quite a challenge, too.

I know that the best long term solution is to get some sound recording equipment and then sue the offenders to oblivion.
    But does anyone know what's the quickest/most efficient way to get a house alarm switched off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Find the house, knock in and nicely ask them to have their alarm checked.. I've done it a few times and never had any kind of unpleasant confrontation with the offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Yes, that should always be the first move. If that fails to resolve the issue I'd then contact the Gardaí with your recording, and if that produces no result I'd consider a solicitor's letter.

Gravale wrote: »
    If that fails to resolve the issue I'd then contact the Gardaí with your recording, and if that produces no result I'd consider a solicitor's letter.

No. Don't do that. Go to the people who have power to do something about it, your Councils environmental section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

No. Don't do that. Go to the people who have power to do something about it, your Councils environmental section.

This x1000, The Guards cant do much about noise complaints

Moving this to DCS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

You can fill it out and they are obliged to investigate. I had fierce trouble with house alarms on a block of rented houses near me and it wasn't solved until eqch house was sold to an owner occupier and the high turnover of non-national tenants who were previously in those houses were no longer there.

It seems that house alarms take some time to set up and operate properly and these people were making stupid mistakes like leaving doors or windows ajar and setting off the alarms and not knowing properly how to disarm them quickly.

Very little probs now.

The other was a long term house owner with a delinquent son with questionable entry and exit methods doubtless against the will of his dictatorial father...as pleasant a sociopath as you could meet. Son eventually left home for good, alarm problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Iedco4

A relative of mine had a problem alarm much to the annoyance of neighbours.
    She put it on the long finger and came home after a weekend away to find someone had taken a hammer to the box. Alarm was repaired the next day !

Advertisement