Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rock/Metal Album of the Year 2013 *VOTE*

• 24-12-2013 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭

Thanks to everybody who posted their Album nominations in the Nominations thread. Here are the most nominated albums.

Voting closes on NYE. :)

Rock/Metal Album of the Year 2013 47 votes

Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
    0% 0 votes
    Queens of the Stone Age - ...like Clockwork
    19% 9 votes
    Carcass - Surgical Steel
    29% 14 votes
    Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory and Injury
    19% 9 votes
    Karnivool - Asymmetry
    4% 2 votes
    Pelican - Forever Becoming
    6% 3 votes
    Mourning Beloveth - Formless
    0% 0 votes
    Ayreon - The Theory of Everything
    2% 1 vote
    Cult of Luna - Vertikal
    2% 1 vote
    Deafheaven - Sunbather
    0% 0 votes
    Black Sabbath - 13
    2% 1 vote
    Stone Sour - House of Gold and Bones part 2
    14% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Passenger wrote: »
    Thanks to everybody who posted their Album nominations in the Nominations thread. Here are the most nominated albums.

Voting closes on NYE. :)

Prob woulda went with Ghosts latest but outta the album's that I've listened to that made that list it's QOTSA I've gone with one of those that got better on each listen tracks were great performed live too fitting in amongst the classics lucky to have caught them over the summer as I couldn't make the Nov point gig which looks like it might win in the gig of the year thread. Also includes possibly my song of the year in I Appear Missing.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Steven Wilson for me, though Ayreon get an honourable mention.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

None of my favourite choices are up there, so went with Sabbath. It's not the disaster of an album that everyone was expecting and has some cracking moments in it.

Just as a side note, you are all slowly turning me into a Steve Wilson fan. Storm Corrosion was only brought to my attention last year after it won the rock album of the year here and it is now one of my favourite albums. Now, you've brought his new album to my attention and I really must pick up a copy of it now. That and the new Altar of Plagues.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Standing by my Carcass nomination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

Just as a side note, you are all slowly turning me into a Steve Wilson fan. Storm Corrosion was only brought to my attention last year after it won the rock album of the year here and it is now one of my favourite albums. Now, you've brought his new album to my attention and I really must pick up a copy of it now. That and the new Altar of Plagues.

You see, that's what it's all about. That's why we do this Album of the Year poll so people can be exposed to other peoples tastes and maybe be introduced to new and exciting music. ;) And I can assure you that if you enjoyed Storm Corrosion you should really enjoy The Raven that Refused to Sing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Black Sabbath for the Rock/Metal Album of the Year, simply because it's Black Sabbath, and the first album with Ozzy in 35 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

You see, that's what it's all about. That's why we do this Album of the Year poll so people can be exposed to other peoples tastes and maybe be introduced to new and exciting music. ;).

Spot on. Discovered the Ayreon album this way which is stunning.
    Voted for Steven Wilson ,truly amazing album.

Nea wrote: »
    Spot on. Discovered the Ayreon album this way which is stunning.
    Voted for Steven Wilson ,truly amazing album.

Both quality albums. Aryeon should have more than one vote in the Poll.

The Boards Rock & Metal Album of the year 2013 is...

Queens of the Stone Age - ...Like Clockwork

Queens-of-the-Stone-Age-Like-Clockwork.jpg

With worthy runners up...

Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing
    raven.jpg

and...

Carcass - Surgical Steel
    Carcass-Surgical-Steel-cover-art-300x300.jpg

Thanks to all who participated.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Tied second. Still disappointed Carcass didn't win, but that's not a bad result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Very shocked Steven Wilson didn't win to be honest.

In saying that, ...Like Clockwork is an absolute belter of an album. Fair enough it may not hit out immediately, but if anyone gives it time to grow, they will know they are onto a winner with it.

Quite a short album with only 10 songs on it ( I know SW's only has 6, but it probably clocks in a bit longer), and I find it fairly easy to listen to all the songs. Some favourites on it are Sat By The Ocean and If I Had A Tail.

Favourite song is undoubtedly I Appear Missing. Its just....yes!

The album as a whole is certainly a step up from Era Vulgaris, and it could be a contender for my favourite album of theirs (which was Lullabies to Paralyze).

Not surprised to see them step up to bigger arenas and now appear to be making the steps to headlining festivals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

That's a pretty varied mix of albums at the top which is good. New QOTSA is fantastic as is Surgical Steel (riff riff riff riff) so I suppose I may have to check out the new Steven Wilson given all the love it's getting. I did rather enjoy Porcupine Tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

QOTSA are one of those bands I enjoy when I hear but I've never properly listened to them. Must get the album after it's victory here.

Raven is a superb album and I'm actually surprised by how much love it's gotten here. Didn't think he had quite as many fans on the forum as that.

I actually voted for Ayreon myself. Arjen is a visionary in my opinion. He just writes some of the most interesting music going and when I heard there was going to be a new Ayreon album I was actually struggling to contain my excitement. In any case, I was not let down at all, and the album is absolutely superb. Has all the elements that make Arjen's work great so I'm sure any previous Ayreon fan will love it. And any prog fans who've never listened to his stuff should definitely check it out!

Here are some Metal publications Best Albums of 2013 lists.
    Terrorizer Albums of 2013

1 Carcass - Surgical Steel
    2 Altar of Plagues - Teethed Glory And Injury
    3 Watain - The Wild Hunt
    4 Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
    5 In Solitude - Sister
    6 Clutch - Earth Rocker
    7 Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
    8 Deafheaven - Sunbather
    9 Nails - Abandon All Life
    10 Rotting Christ - Kata Ton Daimona Eautou
    Metal Hammer Albums of 2013

1. Clutch - Earth Rocker
    2. Carcass - Surgical Steel
    3. Black Sabbath - 13
    4. Uncle Acid And The Deadbeats - Mind Control
    5. Ghost - Infestissumam
    6. Bring Me The Horizon - Sempiternal
    7. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
    8. Motõrhead - Aftershock
    9. Watain - The Wild Hunt
    10. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories)
    11. Cathedral - The Last Spire
    12. Letlive - The Blackest Beautiful
    13. In Solitude - Sister
    14. Alter Bridge - Fortress
    15. Purson - The Circle And The Blue Door
    16. The Dillinger Escape Plan - One Of Us Is The Killer
    17. Deafhaven - Sunbather
    18. Kvelertak - Meir
    19. Killswitch Engage - Disarm The Descent
    20. The Bronx - The Bronx (IV)
    Pitchfork Albums of 2013

01. Deafheaven: Sunbather
    02. Agrimonia: Rites of Separation
    03. Inquisition: Obscure Verses for the Multiverse
    04. Power Trip: Manifest Decimation
    05. Gorguts: Colored Sands
    06. Lycus: Tempest
    07. Darkthrone: The Underground Resistance
    08. Carcass: Surgical Steel
    09. Subrosa: More Constant Than the Gods
    10. Noisem: Agony Defined
    Decibel Albums of 2013

1. Carcass - Surgical Steel
    2. In Solitude - Sister
    3. Gorguts - Colored Sands
    4. SubRosa - More Constant Than The Gods
    5. Inquisition - Obscure Verses For The Multiverse
    6. Cult of Luna - Vertikal
    7. Melt Banana - Fetch
    8. Darkthrone - The Underground Resistance
    9. Noisem - Agony Defined
    10. Tribulation - The Formulas of Death
    11. Deafheaven - Sunbather
    12. Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness
    13. Nails - Abandon All Life
    14. Inter Arma - Sky Burial
    15. Autopsy - The Headless Ritual
    16. Secrets of the Sky - To Sail Black Waters
    17. Purson - The Circle and the Blue Door
    18. Lycus - Tempest
    19. Ihsahn - Das Seelenbrechen
    20. The Ruins of Beverast - Blood Vaults: The Blazing Gospel of Heinrich Kramer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

So in those 4 lists abover QoTSA don't make it into any, yet Carcass are 1st, 2nd, 8th and 1st

I think we all know who the real winner is folks ;)

scudzilla wrote: »
    So in those 4 lists abover QoTSA don't make it into any, yet Carcass are 1st, 2nd, 8th and 1st

Well those lists are from predominately Metal publications. If you check out the Album of the year lists from the various Rock publications QOTSA is in them. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,532 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

scudzilla wrote: »

Don't see Carcass in many/any rock publications lists.

So yes, we all know the winner are Queens :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

Steven Wilson should be the winner in that list.....:p

As Passenger mentioned its the difference between rock/metal lists,neither of them would hit my Top 10.

I was disappointed to see no love for The Ocean's Pelagial on here, my No.1 without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Pitchforks top 40 metal albums is a great list and always contains interesting artists. Altar of Plagues makes it as does Carcass and Deafheaven.

Deafheaven are terribly underwhelming, they wouldn't even be in my metal top 20

Gorguts, Altar of Plagues, Inquisition and SubRosa all getting in a lot of those lists in which is great, absolutely fantastic albums. That Agrimonia Rites of Separation is a deadly one too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭xerces

people can be exposed to other peoples tastes and maybe be introduced to new and exciting music.

Yeah, I listened to Teethed Glory & Injury on the strength of people's opinions in the nominations thread and it was one of the most exciting albums I'd heard all year. The atmosphere it creates was unfamiliar to my ears and the vocals have a stark quality that can genuinely frighten and make your heart race. There's a particular point on the track Burnt Year where a sudden turn of pitch in the vocals make my eyes squint (fry.gif) and think damn that's good, and one of the high points in its atmosphere for me is the ending to Remedy And A Fever.

I voted for Steven Wilson, but Teethed Glory & Injury and Sunbather gave me perspective on the power of black metal. I'll give Gorguts a spin later tonight…

yep the vocal performance on Burnt Year has to one of the most harrowing and emotional vocal parts I've ever heard! Teethed Glory and Injury definitely has a very unique atmosphere to it and it is almost a completely different band to previous albums (which are all great too!)

Gorguts new one is topping metal end of the year lists pretty much universally, it's a very good but very dense and dissonant album!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

When Sunbather was released I thought it was decent but not fantastic but it has got a curious grip on me over the past month or so and now I'm really loving it.
    Teethed Glory is a harsh listening experience, you really need to be in the right place mentally before putting it on, it really is bleak.
    I would call neither album "black" metal though, certainly both bands are influenced by it but both are way beyond it too. Some of Deafheaven even sounds like My Bloody Valentine, there are definite strains of Aggaloch there too.
    Sunbather is the aural equivalent of the Great Gatsby in my mind or maybe John Cheever.

Advertisement