Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Christmas Day gaming memory?

• 24-12-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭

I think many of us have a memory, or similar, of getting up extra early on Christmas morning to play some new game or console that we were pretty excited about getting and maybe playing the hell out of it during the day, maybe even having to move the console to different TVs in different rooms, as the needs of the other family members demanded. I suppose, for myself, it was receiving that Super Nintendo (w/ Super Mario World and All Stars) at the age of 8 or so. A great day. I'm sure there's plenty better recollections to be had out there, so what are they?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

lol, exact same memory as myself

i'd found the snes and mario all stars bundle a few weeks before xmas so I knew what was coming that year. was a great day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Getting a PS1 with Final Fantasy 7 and Time Crisis + Lightgun. Never played a FF game or a JRPG before and as Cloud engaged in the first fight i spammed all the buttons on my pad wondering why the feck he wouldn't attack or move. Turned it off 15 minutes later and played Time Crisis for the rest of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Conbhar

Defo getting a Nes and a new tv for christmas 89 and playing Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt for the first time. Absolute bliss for a 7 year old me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

This one always comes to mind when I hear that question.

I was pretty young so the Christmas magic was still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

A complete surprise Gameboy Advance SP, accessory pack, and Monster Force game. Was delighted with it

I think it's my only Xmas gaming present, I usually bought them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

first pc and playing carmaggeddon at 4/5am.

or wiring up a plug to the nes - it never came with one so i took it off the vhs player to me and the bro could play mario.

those two always come to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

The championship managers for me always got them at Xmas until I was old enough to buy then myself

Remember getting some weird games as a child

Bevis and Butthead for mega drive being a personal favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Decades ago I got an atari 2600 (which for some reason santa made me part pay for) and centipede. Can still remember the awesomeness of those blocky graphics .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Playing the Lion King on Mega Drive on Christmas morning. So much fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

The PS one and Final Fantasy 7. Oh that game consumed me for 4 months straight. I was mesmerized by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Micro Machines on the Mega Drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Syndicate Wars. Oh, the freezing cold outside, the fizzy drinks and homemade bakewell tarts inside, the sound of Christmas carols from the radio mingling with the screams of civilians I'd set on fire... just pure magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Waiting a long long time ( a few months really) to get the Street Fighter 2 SNES bundle. I had my whole room filled with posters and I have never anticipated a game since. It brings back great memories of such an innocent time.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rabwaygal

Goldeneye on the N64. Couldn't believe that graphics could be that good. Haven't had a wow moment like that since.

The whole day was spent in front of the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Defiantly getting the NES with mario/duck hunt. Ahh thems were the days.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The Sega Mega-Drive 6-in-1 collection (Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Columns, World Cup Italia 90, Super Hang On, Revenge of Shinobi). Got years out of that!

Medal Of Honour: Rising Sun for the PS2 is another memory that stands out. Probably the first Christmas morning I wasn't made to go to mass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

The one that stands out the most was the year I got an N64 with Lylatwars. I must have watched the opening cutscene ten times before pressing Start. Couldn't believe a game could look so good on a home console.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

The Sega Mega-Drive 6-in-1 collection (Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Columns, World Cup Italia 90, Super Hang On, Revenge of Shinobi). Got years out of that!

Medal Of Honour: Rising Sun for the PS2 is another memory that stands out. Probably the first Christmas morning I wasn't made to go to mass!

Didn't the 6 in 1 come with the Mk. II Megadrive; the smaller one with red buttons? My brother only got the EA 2 in 1 when he got a Mk. I IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,020 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I've plenty of these.

Atari 2600 with Centipede and Joust.

NES with Mario/Duck Hunt and Probotector.

SNES with Mario All Stars, Mario World, Flashback, USA 94 and Starwing.

N64 with Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

spectrum 48k with seperate tape deck and colored monitor and collection of games, including the hunchback and panoma joe a sort on indy jones rip off....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Commodore 64 with Terminator 2 and Flimbos quest. Brings a tear to the eye.

Some of the other tape games were Chase HQ, bubble bobble and a weird one called Cauldron.

Pure magic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

briany wrote: »
    Didn't the 6 in 1 come with the Mk. II Megadrive; the smaller one with red buttons? My brother only got the EA 2 in 1 when he got a Mk. I IIRC.

That sounds about right. I was pretty young though, so numbers meant nothing to me. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Can't remember the name of the game that came with it , but getting the gun yolk for the mega drive that looked like a bazooka once you had it assembled properly...then spending about an hour calibrating it to the tv.
    Although nothing beats the memory playing Mario cart for the first time on christmas day with friends....and then telling them to get out after they defeated me for the 100th time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Being able to play Street Fighter 2 at home, mindblowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Donkey kong!! Felt sad when I finished the game, that's how much I loved playing it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

briany wrote: »

MK II had at least 2 varients of the 6 in 1, the one Insect mentions and the one i got Sonic, Italia, Shinobi, Monaco F1, Streets of Rage, Columns

There was a 6 in 1 with iirc with some of the Mk 1's but i dont know what the combo was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Standout one is probably getting my PS2 with GTA Vice City for Christmas.

Had only played the top down GTA's on PS1 before that so playing GTA in 3D tearing around in a jeep to Billie Jean felt a bit midblowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Waiting for christmas dinner to end so that my brother and I could play Pokemon Gold and Silver which our parents got early from Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

renting kingdom hearts from xtra vision on xmas eve and never giving it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Red Alert 2!

Installed at 11am.

When i next turned away from the monitor it was 10pm, dark outside and i was in the room with no lights on!

Advertisement