Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Christmas Day gaming memory?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭peekachoo

Getting the Lion King SEGA game. Immense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Street fighter 2 turbo with me mates, animal christmas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Getting my Snes and playing Mario bros and F Zero for the rest of the day. Sigh..... Wish I was a kid again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

Tomb Raider christmas 96.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

calex71 wrote: »
    renting kingdom hearts from xtra vision on xmas eve and never giving it back

Those were the days, remember renting the mega drive with my brother and my father having to give a crazy deposit of 50 pound or something like that.

We kids appreciated things back then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭briany

flynnlives wrote: »
    Red Alert 2!

Installed at 11am.

When i next turned away from the monitor it was 10pm, dark outside and i was in the room with no lights on!

Strategy games have a way of doing that.

"Alright, I'm just going to fire up Civilization for a half an hour, see if I can the Viking capital.......aaand it's tomorrow."

I think I may have faked sick a couple of times so I could play Red Alert 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

A Link to the Past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Christmas morning 1997. The folks had bought me a PS1 and F1 97. The power had gone out the previous night and wouldn't come back on until around 6 or 7 that evening. From 6am until then I stared at the console, waiting to play. I studied the manuals for hours, even reading them at lunch and dinner. When the power finally came back on, I stuck in the demo disc and was mesmerised by the T-Rex and Manta Ray :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,042 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Getting the ps1 and Fifa 97. It blew me away. I couldn't believe there was commentary from the sky sports lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

For me it was getting my first new console when i was 9 or 10...A sega master system with Enduro racer when i was about 10...Before that all my comps had come out the second hand shops, Atari 2600 and commodore 64...Even when i view enduro racer on youtube i still remember it perfectly..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Don't know what year. Got Grand Theft Auto 1 on PS1. I was 13 and I remember me old fella standing over me as I drove around Liberty City.

"is that it? This is what they were warning me in Symths about over the 18c. Load of shíte, is this even any good"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It's a small thing,but I always loved the Easter egg in Operation Flashpoint where all the small fir trees became Christmas trees on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Getting an Amstrad 464 and my older brother hogging it all day

Getting a Sega mega drive and my da hogging it all day. He did reach level 147 playing Columns, which was impressive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,960 ✭✭✭✭Penn

'95, Sega Mega Drive. Sonic & Knuckles, Lion King, Mega Bomberman and the 6-in-1 collection that came with it. Barely had time to enjoy a game because I kept switching between them to try them all out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Favourite memories for me would have to be playing Tetris and any of the Marios on the Gameboy or Columns on the Megadrive. Played them all for hours on end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

For me it has to be Xmas morning, playing A Link To The Past for the first time, walking out of Link's house into the thundering rain...timeless :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Asides from all the childhood christmas mornings (C64 Hollywood pack, Amiga Batman pack, launch Megadrive in '90) I had a good one a few years ago with the XBox. Had ordered Metal Arms: Glitch in the System (an overlooked gem) and it arrived Christmas Eve. Had a great Christmas day playing that and XIII (another overlooked classic):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,109 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I have 2.

The first was probably around '92/'93. We always had Christmas on the Eve, family would get together and have the dinner, followed by opening the presents and off to mass. The older crowd would go to the pub, and mam would usually stay behind with me. My brother was only 1 year older, so i've no idea where he was this year, possibly went to the pub with the rest of them, but i remember getting pure annoyed because i was too young to go to the pub.

Anyway, even though i got awesome presents, i was sulking. Mam was smiling, and it was annoying me. I stormed off to the bedroom, and next i heard mam shouting "Give me a hand". I slowly walked out to the sitting room, and there was mam with a massive smile and a big box wrapped. I didn't know what to think until she told me to unwrap my last present. I don't think it took me more than 0.5 seconds to unwrap my shiney new SNES Mario All-Stars bundle. Good god i was shaking with excitement! Think i was the last to go to bed that night (the rest didn't return until 4am!!!).

Second time was around '97/'98, can't remember exactly, was the year with the really bad weather. Anyway, into town on Xmas eve with the mother so she could get a few bits done. Told me to go up to the sisters work place (hairdressers) while she went to do something. Bored off my box in there, and in walks mam with a silvery/blue box. Immediately knew what it was, a PS1. I think the hairdressers was full, but i didn't care and i think i nearly started crying! I had wanted it for ages. The next 1 1/2 hours were a pain of a wait, while mam got her hair done. Into the car, pure excited on the 1/2 hour drive home. Half way home, i noticed the lights were out on some houses, and i started to worry as there were reports of electricity outings. But, when we arrived home, the lights were on. Don't think i even closed the door on the car, ran into the sittingroom, unboxed carefully, set it all up, pushed the power button, screen flickered, i heard the first note of that beautiful start-up sound, and "zzzzt". Electricity gone. It didn't come back for 6 days... The longest 6 days of my life!!!!!

I will never forget those 2 Christmas's! Love my mother, and she went on to buy me the PS2 as well, but in a less excited fashion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

snes and the mario all stars pack, got f-zero too. will never forget it, was just magical

another year getting a big yellow original gameboy with donkey kong land packed in, couldn't sleep that night kept hearing the drums of the music in my head, was freaking out!

nuxxx wrote: »
    snes and the mario all stars pack, got f-zero too. will never forget it, was just magical

another year getting a big yellow original gameboy with donkey kong land packed in, couldn't sleep that night kept hearing the drums of the music in my head, was freaking out!

Woah, looking at game play footage, they really packed a lot of the SNES style into that little cartridge. I'd say it pushed the GB to it's limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember getting ocarina of time on n64 the year it was released. Was my first Zelda.

I also remember getting the GameCube.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I remember getting ocarina of time on n64 the year it was released. Was my first Zelda.

I also remember getting the GameCube.

What a game to get on Christmas. I remember I got that, WCW vs. NWO Revenge and ISS '98. Nothing was getting done that week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I'll tell you what is absolutely not my favourite Xmas day gaming memory:

Getting a 3DS (yay!) only to find IT DOESN'T COME WITH A ****ING CHARGER! (boo!)

So pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon on the n64 was the most memorable. I can remember my parents having to switch the power off at the mains so I would come for dinner. I was seriously pissed because I was no where near a save.

The other was trivial pursuit on the c64. I didnt have a clue what I was doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Loading up Super Blitz and Defendertron (cheap Defender knockoff) on my first C64....yes I'm old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

2600 for old timeys sake but the Snes with Street Fighter has to be the best.

C64 loses because it broke on Xmas day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Has to be the Xmas morning I got Streetfighter 2 and Mortal Kombat 1 on the Megadrive, But that was good but it was totally topped off an hour later when my father sneaked out during breakfast and set up a new TV in my room ..(had always my megadrive time resticted because we'd only the main TV) I don't think i came out of my room that day.......not even once

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Y2KBOS86 wrote: »
    Tomb Raider christmas 96.

Couldn't think of mine then yes it all came back. By all I mean tomb raider, being so happy and consumed playing it but also the corrs album blaring from my sister's stereo *shudder*.

But I did not give a **** then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

i got my ps2 and grand theft auto vice city the same christmas day. I stayed up playing it from 6am until 6pm . \i hsd loads of other presents that day but didnt even play with them. Still my favorite christmas memory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I found out Santa wasn't real by catching my older brother playing altered beast on his new megadrive!

I was really excited about getting FFVII for Christmas one year. I had rented it when it first came out and had a save game on my memory card that I was mad to play

Advertisement