Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How may sheep per acre?

Options
  • 24-12-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have almost 2 acres of good land and was wondering the maximum number of sheep that I can put on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Max 10 but if you're keeping them on it all the time then maybe keep it at 6 or 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

Max 10 but if you're keeping them on it all the time then maybe keep it at 6 or 7.

in one of henry brewis books he maintained you could keep 5 to the acre but they woud die back to a level they were happy at!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

reading teagasc report in the journal think they were stocking 10-14 per hectare....if I did that here they would eat meself when I go out with hungar or id be broke buying in feeding for them tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Galvium Irredentum

Depend on size of sheep, rotation of 4-8 paddocks or set-stocking - they'll need hay in winter too. Quarter the two acres and put 8 ewes (70kg<) on it, maybe 10 if they're a lighter breed (<60kg).....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

I did it for a few years on 1.25 acres five seemed to be max I could keep. At that you will need a shed of a sort to keep for a few weeks. I used to make silage out of lawn clippings make sure to use good heavy back rubbish bags twist tops and tie tight, you can open and fill further as they settle. You will need to buy a bit of ration. Would not lamb before early march. Used to get a good crossbred as a ram.

You will need to split into 3-4 maybe 5 paddocks. you can do this with 3 strands of electric with two earth strands between. Hardest thing is handling, shearing and if one gets maggots. All medicines come in large quanties for use with small numbers of sheep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

it said that you need 19 sheep at leas to benifet from stap aeos and other stuff and all we want is 7 sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

it said that you need 19 sheep at leas to benifet from stap aeos and other stuff and all we want is 7 sheep

Think u could need 50 to qualify for stap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

From STAP terms and conditions an dept site

B. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
    8. In order to be eligible to participate in the Programme:
    (a) Farmers must have a minimum flock size of 30 breeding sheep, (based on either the 2011 or 2012 Sheep and Goat Census). In addition, applicants who are selling lambs directly for processing must apply for membership of the Bord Bia Lamb Quality Assurance Scheme by 28 March 2013 and achieve certification by 30 September 2013.
    OR
    (b) For farmers without breeding stock, they must have purchased a minimum of 100 lambs/hoggets for breeding, (based on either the 2011 or 2012 Sheep and Goat Census) and those selling store lamb finishers directly to factories must apply for membership of the Bord Bia Lamb Quality Assurance Scheme by 2 September 2013, with a view to achieving certification before the commencement of year 2 of STAP.

Random - where did you get the number 19 from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Random - where did you get the number 19 from?

Random by name Random by nature?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

To the best of my knowledge, which might be out of date now, you need 25 sheep for a flock minimum. 30 is correct for AEOS the day I joined it, may have changed also but 19 is an odd number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭randomperson12

thats what tegasc said when we rang em

Advertisement