Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display model coffee machine break

Options
  • 24-12-2013 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I got a demo model coffee machine from Currys and when I went to take it out of the box the glass jug slipped out and broke on the floor. The jug wasn't fixed with tape or anything and the machine is heavy enough that you need to take it out with both hands at the sides.

I'm just wondering who is responsible for getting a replacement jug. I'd assume because it wasn't packed properly Currys would have to get a replacement for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If such a thing happened to me I'd feel rotten.

It's no consolation to you, but one of the reasons I'd feel rotten is that I'd believe that it was my own responsibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

So what you are saying is, you bought a display model which was obviously out of its packaging, it was fine when you paid for it, fine when you left the shop, fine when you brought it home, but you dropped it when taking it out of the box, but you think the shop might be responsible for the breakage?. I don't think so, in this case the vendor can prove that the jug was intact when you bought it.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

davo10 wrote: »
    So what you are saying is, you bought a display model which was obviously out of its packaging, it was fine when you paid for it, fine when you left the shop, fine when you brought it home, but you dropped it when taking it out of the box, but you think the shop might be responsible for the breakage?. I don't think so, in this case the vendor can prove that the jug was intact when you bought it.

It was bought as a present so I didn't know it was a demo model. Regardless if they're going to pack it back up they should pack it as it was on opening. Anything loose like that would always be taped in. It's common sense which seems to be in short supply in Currys.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I got a demo model coffee machine from Currys.....
    It was bought as a present so I didn't know it was a demo model....

Did you know you were buying a demo model when you bought it?
    If not, how do you know it was a demo model?
    To be honest, I do not see you having any sort of successful claim against them for you dropping the item.

I'm just wondering who is responsible for getting a replacement jug. I'd assume because it wasn't packed properly Currys would have to get a replacement for me.

I feel for you OP, it's very unfortunate, but that's all it is: bad luck.

It's not Currys' fault that it broke. It's partially your fault for not being more careful, and it's partially the fault of whoever gave it to you as a gift, knowing you'd open the box without knowing what was inside.

I got someone a bottle of vodka for Christmas. I wrapped it as best I could and then also put it in a gift bag, because I understood that the person opening it might be liable to drop it if it slipped from it's packaging or if it was held wrong while opening. If it had dropped, I wouldn't go to the off licence and expect a refund. That would be ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

it's your own fault. <SNIP>

I feel for you OP, it's very unfortunate, but that's all it is: bad luck.

It's not Currys' fault that it broke. It's partially your fault for not being more careful, and it's partially the fault of whoever gave it to you as a gift, knowing you'd open the box without knowing what was inside.

I got someone a bottle of vodka for Christmas. I wrapped it as best I could and then also put it in a gift bag, because I understood that the person opening it might be liable to drop it if it slipped from it's packaging or if it was held wrong while opening. If it had dropped, I wouldn't go to the off licence and expect a refund. That would be ridiculous.

Yeah I understand that but it's not the same thing. A bottle is one solid item. I was careful taking it out of the box but the glass jar was left loose in the machine.you couldn't possibly take it out with both hands and hold the jar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Currys sold it to a customer who had the knowledge of how it was packed, who knew it was a display model and who took on all responsibility for everything past manufacturing error. They then gave it to someone without this knowledge. It's unfortunate but Currys aren't at fault here.

Call in to them in a few days and if you're lucky you might be able to convince a manager to give you the pot from one that was returned due to being broken in the box or whatever.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Currys sold it to a customer who had the knowledge of how it was packed, who knew it was a display model and who took on all responsibility for everything past manufacturing error. They then gave it to someone without this knowledge. It's unfortunate but Currys aren't at fault here.

Call in to them in a few days and if you're lucky you might be able to convince a manager to give you the pot from one that was returned due to being broken in the box or whatever.

I suppose that makes sense but I still think they should have taped it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Could you expect an item to be repackaged as well as when it left the factory?, surely when you buy a demo model, you know it has been unpacked and that you are being sold it because it is the last one available and will be just placed back in the box.

This is abdication of responsibility gone mad, sorry OP but the item was fine when you bought it, you knew it was re-boxed and it was you who dropped it. It's disappointing but the shop are not to blame, just an unfortunate accident.

• Advertisement
Advertisement