Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Schmallenberg turning up?

Options
  • 25-12-2013 12:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

You lads and ladies lambing early, any sign of Schmallenberg? Did you vaccinate or not? If you've seen it, which county you in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

didn't vaccinate

had 2 abortions so far but wouldn't put it down to sch , just yet anyhow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭dave747

neighbour who lambs early had some trouble with it last year, but he says so far so good this year anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

+1 on this query.
    Didn't vaccinate. went for a weeks holiday first week September, and the boys broke out to the ewes while I was away. Lad watching the stock didn't realise.........

Jo, when are you lambing?

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭jomoloney

due to start the 7th January onwards, but watching a couple that might go sooner, one of these aborted late november

the last to abort (about 10 days ago) was a feb/march lamber in a different bunch on the outfarm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if any farms had trouble last year then they wont this year because sheep are immune now . is this right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Dickie10 wrote: »
    if any farms had trouble last year then they wont this year because sheep are immune now . is this right?

Apparently not . Flocks In Britain have been hit 2 years in a row . It seems not all sheep I'm the flock get Bitten so they can get it the following year .

anyone hear of any cases turning up this year so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Cran

dave747 wrote: »
    anyone hear of any cases turning up this year so far?

Nearly finished 20 early pedigrees, not a sign of it.
    After speaking with Vet at breeding time we decided that with the unknowns around possible having to vaccinate all sheep on the farm, we decided not to vaccinate. I must be honest with further information that came out after it was probably wrong decision, but luckly no sign of it.

I'd be in a high risk area enough and good few of my discussion group had it this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

1 abortion out of 18 and two more to go. Good yields this year 30 lambs from the 17 so far.

I didn't vaccinate because vet said I was late as ram was with them when I inquired.

i didnt vaccinate here either and had no abortions in the early 1s and bout half way through lambing and goin grand. No sign of abortions in the late 1s so far anyway(touch wood). could the high numbers of empties showing up in some flocks have anything to do with schmallenberg?

• Advertisement
Advertisement