Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote access

Options
  • 25-12-2013 1:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Not sure were to put this guy's but was have a little bit of a prob with my Norton 360. Turns out it was ok but I allowed Norton remote access to my computer to check it.

I do my banking etc on it. Should I be worried? :confused: I actually am....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Not sure were to put this guy's but was have a little bit of a prob with my Norton 360. Turns out it was ok but I allowed Norton remote access to my computer to check it.

I do my banking etc on it. Should I be worried? :confused: I actually am....
    If you rang Norton direct, then your fine. We do this all the time in my own job - sometimes its just a lot easier to remote in to see what's going on.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Not familiar with that, but you should be able to disabled it in the options of the software, or, failing that, by disabling the program in the startup. Look up msconfig. Very easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

didnt know Norton called customer direct, Id run a full malware scan incase keyloggers were installed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

are you saying that someone called you claiming they were from Norton, and you gave them remote access to your PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭tech

thats what I picked up myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Blue Spearman

johndoe99 wrote: »
    are you saying that someone called you claiming they were from Norton, and you gave them remote access to your PC.
    No! I should have made myself clearer.

Norton 360 was running in the background on my laptop when it was idle. When I went to use it I got an error message on it.

From there then I followed the link's to solve the issue. I then just contacted the Norton live help and give one of their team remote access and it appears my product was ok.

It's just I was a bit worried about giving remote access so that's why I asked you guy's opinion's.

No! I should have made myself clearer.

Norton 360 was running in the background on my laptop when it was idle. When I went to use it I got an error message on it.

From there then I followed the link's to solve the issue. I then just contacted the Norton live help and give one of their team remote access and it appears my product was ok.

It's just I was a bit worried about giving remote access so that's why I asked you guy's opinion's.

there's no need to worry, they'd be very professional at there work.

Did you disable remote access afterwards? as if left on it could be a potential security risk, if you got a trojan at a later date.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I would imagine the remote access thing pops up as a single use request on the screen. I doubt they'd be able to reconnect without your accepting a request for access. Easier for Norton really.

MarkR wrote: »
    I would imagine the remote access thing pops up as a single use request on the screen. I doubt they'd be able to reconnect without your accepting a request for access. Easier for Norton really.

remote access is part of Windows, it can easily be enabled and disabled through windows. If left disabled, a Trojan or key-logger can have access to areas it would not normally. As far as I know, once the session closes it normally disables the feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Dulchie

Norton techs use logmein rescue and you must allow then access by downloading a file and then entering a four digit number they give you on the chat system. You should have no worries about any security problems in the future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement