Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help...iphone 5 wont work and its a christmas present!!!

• 25-12-2013 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi Folks,

Need serious help here. I bought an iphone 5 off a friend of a friend. It worked perfectly when I got it 3 weeks ago.

I had put it away as it is a present for someone for tomorrow!!!!!. I went to turn it on tonight, and it worked perfectly. I plugged it in to have it fully charged and it stopped working. I tried to do a reset on it, but it didn't work. It is now totally dead and wont work.

Please please please, if there is anyone out there that would help me, I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Is it hot(stolen) by any chance?

Usually press the menu button for quite a while and should reset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Hold the Power and Home button together. The phone will power off and then turn back on. Continue to hold them. When you see the Apple logo, let go of both buttons. It should reboot normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 evie08

I have tried to reset it, but it doesn't work, as for being stolen, I cant say for definite, but I certainly don't think so. When I plug in the charger nothing gets even warm....could there be a problem with the charger do you think?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Seems like the charged battery trick, I've seen it a few times. People sell iPhones with dead motherboards by charging the battery outside of the phone then putting it back in. The phone will work until the battery dies or the broken part of the motherboard is used, in most cases the charging port.

I've worked fixing phones before and from experience I'd say never ever buy a 2nd hand phone.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill for all your replies.....garit....can this be fixed??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Are you using a genuine Apple charger and cable? Have you tried pressing and holding power and home for 60 seconds?

I don't know if they are genuine...it looks it, and already tried pressing power and home for 60 sec...doesn't make any difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I would try get my money back sounds like phone was known to be faulty and off loaded on you.

Try plugging it into your computer see if you get anything. If the motherboard is gone it is as cheap to get a new phone, it's rare though so I hope you're not that unlucky.

• Advertisement

GarIt, I plugged lead into computer and nothing happened.....

The plug isn't the problem so, know anyone with an apple device you can borrow the lead from?

unfortunately not at 1am on Christmas eve :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Any update on this?
    I really hope you get your issue sorted out and have a very Happy Christmas :)

is the charger for the 5 same as the on for the 4 or 4s???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

No only the 5s and 5c are the same as the 5. Some newer iPads as well. Where are you?

evie08 wrote: »
    is the charger for the 5 same as the on for the 4 or 4s???

No, it has to be for the 5, 5s or iPad.

Folks, thanks a mill for all your help in trying to sort this problem out..

I'm in athlone........I think ill call it a day, and just come clean tomorrow (there is going to be one sad 16 year old!!)

Thanks again and happy Christmas to you all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

One last thing to try.

Connect the phone to computer with the latest version of itunes using the cable. Hold down both the home and power buttons again and wait for the apple logo to appear.

If it does appear, release the power button but keep the home button pressed until you see the connect to itunes image on the screen. You should also get a message on itunes on the computer telling you to restore. If this happens, go ahead and restore the phone.

If the apple logo doesn't appear when pressing the buttons, leave connected to computer for 30 minutes and try again. If it doesn't work a second time it's looking like a hardware failure.

Advertisement