Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard drive /game question

Options
  • 25-12-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

I bought my son a Rocky game for the xbox bit when he tried to play it it says attach xbox hard drive .I think his xbox is arcade version.I had no idea that there were diff versions of games .Can someone tell me is there a way around this ? I have one disappointed son here .Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

shardylan wrote: »
    I bought my son a Rocky game for the xbox bit when he tried to play it it says attach xbox hard drive .I think his xbox is arcade version.I had no idea that there were diff versions of games .Can someone tell me is there a way around this ? I have one disappointed son here .Thanks

Some games require a hdd in order to store data. I think the arcade version of the 360 is one that came without an attached hard drive? Does it have internal memory? Some of them come with 256/512MB of internal flash memory...which if it's not formatted, the game might not be seeing it. Some come without internal memory though, & you'll need a hard drive in that case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Try using a USB memory stick if you have one handy, on the xbox settings pick storage and choose the memory stick and it should give you the option to format it, you can use up to 16GB for xbox storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bouncy11

Sorry to hijack this thread i have a similar question.

Do I have to install games even if I hav disk? If not where would I go home menu to play?
    I'm a new Xbox user so not sure where to go.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

Bouncy11 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread i have a similar question.

Do I have to install games even if I hav disk? If not where would I go home menu to play?
    I'm a new Xbox user so not sure where to go.
    Thanks

On the 360 press the centre button and one of the options should say play "Game"

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Bouncy11

paddyk wrote: »
    On the 360 press the centre button and one of the options should say play "Game"

Thanks. My fault i should of said Xbox one

• Advertisement

Yes you have to install the games on Xbox One, on the home tab when the disc is in it's the bottom right square select that and it will start to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

calex71 wrote: »
    Try using a USB memory stick if you have one handy, on the xbox settings pick storage and choose the memory stick and it should give you the option to format it, you can use up to 16GB for xbox storage.

I have an external hard drive attached but doesn't seem to be recognise when he try's to turn this game on .i only have the minimum knowledge for these so please bare with me.thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭locustfurnace

shardylan wrote: »
    I have an external hard drive attached but doesn't seem to be recognise when he try's to turn this game on .i only have the minimum knowledge for these so please bare with me.thanks

External hard drives dont work, has to be a usb key drive...

External hard drives dont work, has to be a usb key drive...

Not the case, an external drive will work it just have to have a section formatted for xbox use.

Same steps as earlier, go to settings - storage - select the hard drive and you should see a formatting option, it's limited to 16gb of storage regardless of the size of the hard drive.

Just be careful I'm not sure how it formats the drive and if it will leave existing files intact, I'm pretty sure it just takes 16gbs for itself and leave the rest intact but I'm not 100% so air on the side of caution and make sure there is nothing important on it.

Not the case, an external drive will work it just have to have a section formatted for xbox use.

Same steps as earlier, go to settings - storage - select the hard drive and you should see a formatting option, it's limited to 16gb of storage regardless of the size of the hard drive.

Just be careful I'm not sure how it formats the drive and if it will leave existing files intact, I'm pretty sure it just takes 16gbs for itself and leave the rest intact but I'm not 100% so air on the side of caution and make sure there is nothing important on it.

Tried it before with a 320gb external HD and its now useless, won't work on xbox or pc :( did the same set up with a 4gb and 16gb usb stick and no problems...both fire away...so just be careful if using a large HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭shardylan

Tried it before with a 320gb external HD and its now useless, won't work on xbox or pc :( did the same set up with a 4gb and 16gb usb stick and no problems...both fire away...so just be careful if using a large HD.

SHould just need to be reformatted on the PC to sort it.

Edit: Checked mine there, you get 2 options when formatting on the xbox

1 : erase all data and format
    2: configure a limited portion of the drive for use up to 32GB

They option you are looking for to preserve other data and only use 32gb is Customise

SHould just need to be reformatted on the PC to sort it.

Edit: Checked mine there, you get 2 options when formatting on the xbox

1 : erase all data and format
    2: configure a limited portion of the drive for use up to 32GB

They option you are looking for to preserve other data and only use 32gb is Customise

When hooked back up to pc and I try and go to format the optikns are there but I cant click them unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

When hooked back up to pc and I try and go to format the optikns are there but I cant click them unfortunately

Is there a lock to stop you deleting by accident on the side of the key?

Try unlock it and then insert to PC...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Is there a lock to stop you deleting by accident on the side of the key?

Try unlock it and then insert to PC...

it's the 320gb external HD i'm having issues with...all my memory sticks worked no bother...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Did you go into diskmanagement and try formating it. If that fails get a dedicated disk formating tool.

Advertisement