Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flying on 27th of Dec

Options
  • 25-12-2013 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭

I'm flying from the Canaries to Dublin on the 27th. Arrival about 3pm.

What are the chances of weather affecting flights?

I'm flying with Ryanair so don't fancy getting stranded

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Can't see there being a problem, flights would rarely be impacted unless it was a really bad storm.

Enjoy your holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Sully wrote: »
    Can't see there being a problem, flights would rarely be impacted unless it was a really bad storm.

Enjoy your holiday!

Cheers, Thanks Sully.

Merry Christmas to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Sorry BabysCoffee , but i wouldnt be so positive from Sully's post....

theres potential for the storm on friday to be worse than yesterdays one . If gusts stay above 44knots for over an hour there WILL be cancellations or at least diversions to shannon . So Just prepare to be in the air for longer than normal at least due to holdings off dublin bay.

The only good thing is the worst of the winds SHOULD be passed by then so there lies your hope. Best of luck and Merry Christmas .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Iancar29 wrote: »

theres potential for the storm on friday to be worse than yesterdays one . If gusts stay above 44knots for over an hour there WILL be cancellations or at least diversions to shannon . So Just prepare to be in the air for longer than normal at least due to holdings off dublin bay.

The only good thing is the worst of the winds SHOULD be passed by then so there lies your hope. Best of luck and Merry Christmas .

I say we have some sort of bet. If I am right, I get to go along with BabysCoffee. Otherwise, you get to go :p

Iancar29 wrote: »

Eeeek! Thanks for the response!

• Advertisement

I say we have some sort of bet. If I am right, I get to go along with BabysCoffee. Otherwise, you get to go :p

Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'm due to land in Dublin at 10pm tomorrow night, what's the chances of getting in without any delays? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

You'll be in without delay or maybe a small bit of stacking.
    But I'd be prepared for an interesting approach.
    If The last few days are anything to go by there has been quite a crosswind on 10/28.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

bennyx_o wrote: »
    I'm due to land in Dublin at 10pm tomorrow night, what's the chances of getting in without any delays? :D

If your flying with Ryanair then be prepared to make your way from Shannon, all their planes which were requested to stack over the Irish Sea requested to reroute to Shannon, the simple reason, they did not have the fuel to go round in circles, it is not the first time I have heard of Ryanair running their planes on the least fuel they can get away with.

Hope you have an uneventful flight and are able to land safely.

Happy Xmas Wez

kerrywez wrote: »
    If your flying with Ryanair then be prepared to make your way from Shannon, all their planes which were requested to stack over the Irish Sea requested to reroute to Shannon, the simple reason, they did not have the fuel to go round in circles, it is not the first time I have heard of Ryanair running their planes on the least fuel they can get away with.

Hope you have an uneventful flight and are able to land safely.

Happy Xmas Wez

The fuel crap is pure drivel, several aer lingus planes were rerouted there also. All panes carry certain amounts of fuel, they reroute because conditions aren't going to clear in the time frame that their fuel will last. If the winds are above the threshold that allow a certain plane land it must stack up and wait or reroute.
    The planes that landed in Shannon have all returned to their scheduled airports since ready to fly their routes.

The channel4 crap that came out before was ridiculous and has been proven false since.

They stacked the same length as others at the time but conditions got bad and they all were sent to other airports. I'll dig up the routes if you wish.

• Advertisement

Flying Aer Lingus. I flew out Christmas Eve and was keeping an eye in Flightradar and listening to Dublin ATC. I honestly don't think flying Ryanair or Aer Lingus will determine of the flight is diverted or not, but I don't think anyone wants this thread to turn into an Aer Lingus vs Ryanair one

I don't think anyone wants this thread to turn into an Aer Lingus vs Ryanair one

Nope!

I only referred to the fact that I was flying Ryanair because I presumed if they don't leave Canaries I will be left high and dry.

I don't know whether this would be the case with AL

Flying Aer Lingus. I flew out Christmas Eve and was keeping an eye in Flightradar and listening to Dublin ATC. I honestly don't think flying Ryanair or Aer Lingus will determine of the flight is diverted or not, but I don't think anyone wants this thread to turn into an Aer Lingus vs Ryanair one

True benny, I don't hate either just hate when Lies like that get going about a company.
    If the wind is below threshold you'll get in. Which it really should be tomorrow :)
    Best of luck on your flight man.

Nope!

I only referred to the fact that I was flying Ryanair because I presumed if they don't leave Canaries I will be left high and dry.

I don't know whether this would be the case with AL
    Winds in the 27th could see you grounded for a while, be prepared for a delay.
    If you get out you'll be fine for coming back.
    If the weather is bad on the way back they'll get you down somewhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

YbFocus wrote: »
    The fuel crap is pure drivel, several aer lingus planes were rerouted there also. All panes carry certain amounts of fuel, they reroute because conditions aren't going to clear in the time frame that their fuel will last. If the winds are above the threshold that allow a certain plane land it must stack up and wait or reroute.
    The planes that landed in Shannon have all returned to their scheduled airports since ready to fly their routes.

The channel4 crap that came out before was ridiculous and has been proven false since.

They stacked the same length as others at the time but conditions got bad and they all were sent to other airports. I'll dig up the routes if you wish.

Thanks for your very informed reply, can you please inform me which airline you are a pilot for. I was just reporting what was said on the thread about the storm, and was watching Dublin radar and listening to Dublin approach radio, but maybe you were listening to a better source.

kerrywez wrote: »
    Thanks for your very informed reply, can you please inform me which airline you are a pilot for. I was just reporting what was said on the thread about the storm, and was watching Dublin radar and listening to Dublin approach radio, but maybe you were listening to a better source.

As what was said above this ain't the place, start a thread over in aviation and I'll talk all day to you about it. As well the other aviation guys.

I'm not a pilot but follow aviation with the same level as you it seems as an avid spotter and tracker.
    I have no doubt they rerouted due to fuel concerns Wez but so did the AL's at that time. They were stacked deep for nearly an hour on a flight that was meant to be only an hour.
    So they were carrying 200% of the fuel needed.
    Far beyond any euro aviation laws.

In short weather forced them to stay in the air nearly 200% of flight time and then allow for a flight and an approach to SNN. Of course they were low, but everyone was not just RYR.

You heard people bingoing on fuel and thought oh Here's RYR again, but they were up far longer than expected and anyone would have the same trouble at that stage.

Edit: As I said I won't answer here again so we don't derail the thread further.

My flight was diverted to Birmingham tonight, just arrived at the hotel. They said they're looking to fly us back at about midday tomorrow. How is the weather looking for Dublin tomorrow?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Should be calming a bit by midday.

Lovely, thanks!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

...!
    Ah bless

• Advertisement

My flight was diverted to Birmingham tonight, just arrived at the hotel. They said they're looking to fly us back at about midday tomorrow. How is the weather looking for Dublin tomorrow?

My flight from the canaries is leaving in about 4 hrs.

Guess there might be delays with knock ons from flights that were diverted yesterday???

My flight from the canaries is leaving in about 4 hrs.

Guess there might be delays with knock ons from flights that were diverted yesterday???

I would imagine so. We've been told nothing yet, but the Birmingham airport website has the flight due to depart for Dublin at 1 and Dublin airport has it due to arrive at 2.

Looking at the Flightradar thread over in the aviation forum it seems like things are still rough in Dublin, so I would expect some delays.

Edit: just seen your flight should be leaving in the next hour, hope you get away safely, enjoy the holiday!

I'm at the airport now. Gone from a 1 hr delay to a 2.5 hr delay :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Delay is a pain but the main thing is that you have a safe journey. Some great piloting over the last day or so :D

I guess im not going on your next holiday so?!:/

Didn't expect the storm this bad, lots managed to land last night and others diverted!

If it's any conciliation I'm still not checked in to come back from Birmingham

If it's any conciliation I'm still not checked in to come back from Birmingham

Oh dear Benny :-(

I landed :-)

A few hours late but safely down in Dublin. 'twas a little scary, pilot seemed to be accelerating at points as we came down.

Safe travels everyone!

I landed :-)

A few hours late but safely down in Dublin. 'twas a little scary, pilot seemed to be accelerating at points as we came down.

Safe travels everyone!

Means at those points the wind was gusting and making the plane drop faster than he'd like, he'd counter that with more thrust.
    They're earning their pay these days :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

YbFocus wrote: »
    Means at those points the wind was gusting and making the plane drop faster than he'd like, he'd counter that with more thrust.
    They're earning their pay these days :)

More like the gusty winds were causing his IAS (indicated airspeed) to drop.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement