Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bichon Frise constantly itching

• 25-12-2013 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

So this lately the little guy has been itching a lot. It really happened about 6 weeks ago when he went to get groomed and everything went as normal treated exactly the same way he has been this last 3 years.

But since the groom 6 weeks ago he constantly inched for days after drawing blood around his color bone. And linking and eating/nawing at his back legs and front paws. I know it's normal for a day after grooming for a dog to kind of itch and but this was going on for 3 days.

He has all doses up to date and everything. I washed him few days after the grooming and his skin was very read underneath but calmed down immediately after the wash and didn't really itch himself after that a few times but not to the same effect as before.

He got washed there Monday and at the same crack again. Drawing blood at his color bone same side again. Same shampoo used nothing different all medicated so can't be it. Even use medicated shampoo at home for him as well so now I'm kind of putting it down to the food. Normally used bakers and was fine with it then switched to lidl food after using it for a while with no effects but it's the only thing I can think off causing it because he has not come into contact with anything different that he is not use to.

So just wandering does has anyone any advice or has any similar problems before

Regards Bernard

Forgot to add dog is 3 and a half years old now. Fully vaccinated and dosed for all elements

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

What food is he on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Both bakers and lidl food are absolutely terrible and you really shouldn't be feeding such a crap food and I'd say that's your problem.

Try changing to a much better quality food or even better try the raw diet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hi OP,
    There was a similar thread here a few weeks ago. To save me from having to type it all out again (christmas has me lazy :-D), here's a link to the reply I gave to that one:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87481426&postcount=7

Here's the thread itself:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057081823

Another very similar thread here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85623649

• Registered Users Posts: 26 snwman86

Cheers for the info. Was thinking the food was a problem from day one but only seemed to be effecting him since I had him on the lidl food.

I'll have to read up on it again and take him to the vets And see what's the main problem but will give him few of the foods suggested on the pages there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

when it comes to scratching/skin allergies, food is one of the first things worth thinking about OP.

Just as an aside, my neighbours terrier recently started scratching a lot, elderly dog (my dogs sister!!), brought her to the vet, the vet suggested immediately allergies, and prescribed meds. Second terrier (daughter) started scratching a week later - alarm bells - back to the vet, saw a different vet, first suggestion from him was mange!! so now both on med for that. (funny thing was that the vet (my vet too - super!) thought my neighbour would be insulted/upset when he suggested his dogs had mange!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 snwman86

Took him there today just an allergic reaction to either flea bite or something else. Cause the way I explained in detail the vet was happy to rule a lot of things out. Plus with bichon been very hang allergic dogs she was happy to point it to that so. So steroids and antibiotic cream. All was good didn't even itch there after he came home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'd still get him off the lidl dog food. It's truly awful stuff along with any supermarket brands.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, you need to be aware that steroids and cream are not a cure for itchy skin, they merely mask the symptoms. So don't be lulled into a false sense of security here, you do need to investigate common causes of itchy skin and deal with them.
    Prescribing steroids and cream is absolutely par for the course with many vets for any itchy skin patient. Unless your dog was infested with fleas, it's unlikely he's going to target different areas of his body because of them. Many owners find that the itch returns once the steroids are finished if they haven't actually addressed the cause of the itch in the meantime. Long term steroid use should be avoided at all costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'd also be looking at the shampoo you and the groomer used. I'd nearly bet it's something to do with that. Get a decent puppy shampoo for the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Was this the dogs first visit to the vet in regards the itchy skin? If it was I'd be considering changing vets. I wouldn't be happy at all with a vet that was willing to prescribe steroids from the get go for itchy skin. IMO, they should be a last resort after skin scrapes, bloodwork, and an elimination diet to establish the cause.

• Advertisement
Advertisement