Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My Special Day

• 25-12-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭

This was just on Sky Sports News, a young irish lad got to meet John Terry and the Chelsea team. Worth the watch!

Football-mad Oran Tully met idol John Terry and the rest of the Chelsea team during a festive edition of My Special Day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Very good. Love those programmes.

Was he chosen for this because he's ginger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Oran, who suffers from a complicated and rare bowel problem, cannot eat solid foods and is fed overnight intravenously.

Also, he got Roman to talk!

Johner wrote: »
    Oran, who suffers from a complicated and rare bowel problem, cannot eat solid foods and is fed overnight intravenously.

Also, he got Roman to talk!

Literally the first time I ever heard Abramovich talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Good stuff.

Hope Terry didn't rob anything on him ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That is absolutely fantastic from Chelsea and especially John Terry. He may be a lot of things but that truly was brilliant from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

great stuff,

Fair play to the young lad and fair play to chelsea (coming from a united man)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Corvo wrote: »
    Good stuff.

Hope Terry didn't rob anything on him ;)

Maybe Terry got to meet the Ma aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Great programme.

Fair play to all involved.

John Terry went out of his way for that, more than a lot of players would do. And he genuinely seemed to enjoy his time with Oran as opposed to doing it out of obligation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

monkey9 wrote: »
    John Terry went out of his way for that, more than a lot of players would do. And he genuinely seemed to enjoy his time with Oran as opposed to doing it out of obligation.

Doesn't he normally pick up back handers for this kind of stuff...and tours of Stamford bridge?

I fully expect him to be found selling his teammates jerseys outside in the car park after a game, Earl Hebner style.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

That's incredible. Fair play to Terry, he went over and above for that kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Chelsea and Terry in particular, get a lot of stick , but that is class - most people are good and bad , and Terry seams a top bloke here - wish Oran all the best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Very nice. Big effort put in by the club and Terry in particular to make it special for the kid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Want to have a heart of stone not to enjoy that.

Young Oran's excitement was a joy to watch.

Fair play to Sky, Chelsea and John Terry.

Also just heard Abrahmovic's voice for the first time, he seemed to be in awful rush though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just in the middle of watching it now, love watching these football dream videos! Shows what the game is meant to be about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Well done John Terry, he really made that boys day. JT seemed to really enjoy showing him around and having a laugh with him too.
    Really impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Well done John terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also just heard Abrahomovic's voice for the first time, he seemed to be in awful rush though!

Just said "Champions League" and legged it.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

greendom wrote: »
    And Terry is his hero. Poor lad has got nothing going for him at all.

Very funny. Honestly, brilliant. Well done.

This was a great programme, whatever you say about these footballers it's a very privileged position to be able to make a kids dream come through, and when they take the time to do it's a class act.

David Luiz was a gentleman, incredibly genuine to the boy.

Wish Oran all the best, a truly brave and inspiring young man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Give Terry credit where it is due.

This was all about that little fella day. Im sure he it made his xmas. Thats most important thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Well done to everyone involved, absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Very funny. Honestly, brilliant. Well done.

This was a great programme, whatever you say about these footballers it's a very privileged position to be able to make a kids dream come through, and when they take the time to do it's a class act.

David Luiz was a gentleman, incredibly genuine to the boy.

Wish Oran all the best, a truly brave and inspiring young man.

yes ok fair enough and now that I've watched it I can see that even though there is no doubt that it was an excellent pr excercise for Terry and the club, the lad had the day of his life that he'll remember forever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The young lad goes to the school my dad works in. I remember him saying something about it when it was being filmed. It's hard to believe that he's actually 13/14 years old given how small he is. He's always in great form from what my dad says which is incredible given the hand he was dealt.

Fair play to all involved in both Sky and Chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Just watched this now having recorded it. Wow. I'm a Chelsea fan, so I would have extreme bias here, but you have to hand it to the club. They pulled out all the stops to make a young lad's dream come true.

John Terry (love him, like him, loathe him) is excellent with Oran. He is also a brilliant person with youth players and is truly a club captain. But he was immense for the time he spent with Oran. Taking the time to show him everything, talking with him, playing football with him and just generally making it a wonderful, special day for the lad.

All of the players truly made an effort here to make sure it was something he'd never forget. But David Luiz sticks out as being especially sweet and brilliant. He seems to do that a lot and seems to be great at meeting fans. José was also brilliant, just walking up as cool as ever and greeting Oran warmly thereafter.

It really was wonderful and for someone who's had to fight and struggle so often, for small rays of light like this in life, it will mean so much more.

Fair play to everyone at Chelsea Football Club (John Terry and David Luiz probably deserving of special mention), Sky Sports and anyone else who had a part in this. It was truly wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Fantastic gesture. Fair play to the young lad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Brought a tear to my eye when the kid got all excited sitting at the laptop, and the camera panned to the Dad.
    John Terry was great with him and Ive more respect for Chelsea FC after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I love when stars do stuff like this.

Here's one Ajax done last week

Vid is in dutch.

Dutch footballing giants AFC Ajax recently made the dreams of one very ill young boy come true as they “signed” him for the club and helped him realise his dreams of playing alongside his footballing heroes.
    Eight-year old Jay-Jay Willems suffers from IBS abdominal ache, a condition that affects the young Ajax fan every day of his life. However, in a heartwarming move by the Opkikker foundation, (who’s goal it is to “contribute to the mental energy of a chronically ill child by organising a day of relaxation and joy with the entire family”), Frank De Boer and his boys allowed Jay-Jay to visit the Ajax training ground, sign for the club, be unveiled at an official press conference and even allowed him to take part in the first team warm-up ahead of the recent NEC Breda match.

http://www.joe.ie/football/football-news/afc-ajax-sign-eight-year-old-to-help-make-fans-christmas-dreams-come-true/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

As an Arsenal fan ...I don't like Chelsea at all...especially Terry, But i loved every minute of that fair ****ing play to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah fair play to Terry and Chelsea. Delighted for the young lad too. But is it really thread worthy??

Didn't Jessica Ennis and Wayne Rooney and the England team do a couple of "My Special Day" programmes a few weeks ago. Didn't see them mentioned and thought they deserved a mention too. As well as what Ajax did for the young lad posted above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Think alot of this stuff goes on behind the scenes but nice to see a Irish lad go over. JT was top class too. Hope he pulls through

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

dobman88 wrote: »
    Yeah fair play to Terry and Chelsea. Delighted for the young lad too. But is it really thread worthy??

Didn't Jessica Ennis and Wayne Rooney and the England team do a couple of "My Special Day" programmes a few weeks ago. Didn't see them mentioned and thought they deserved a mention too. As well as what Ajax did for the young lad posted above.

Oh my God.

Oh my God.

Yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Jose was painfully awkward.
    lol nadal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

dobman88 wrote: »

With a bit of initiative you could have had a thread for them other ones too where you could of mentioned the fook out of them.

With a bit of initiative you could have had a thread for them other ones too where you could of mentioned the fook out of them.

Not thread worthy imo. Just worth a mention. They have been mentioned, carry on :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Quality, fair play to all involved, great touch from Cahill and the boots in there too.

Advertisement