Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Your map isn't showing MT.

Showing on mobile!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Showing on mobile!

It wasn't showing on the forum either for a while. But it is there now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Rain has started here in Waterford City and winds also increasing. Max gust 55km/h so far at my station. Historic storm in the making i believe.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

South Kerry is very gusty at the moment with driving rain. Certainly increased dramatically in the last hour or so. Went for a walk to the local beach a couple of hours ago and the sea was suspiciously calm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Just a moderate F4 SE'ly in Galway city atm
    Max gust 27mph

Barometer 978.81 hPa: Falling very rapidly -3.41 hPa/hr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

Rain has started here in Waterford City and winds also increasing. Max gust 55km/h so far at my station. Historic storm in the making i believe.

www.waterfordcityweather.com

i was asked earlier if this was the worst storm i'd seen and i replied without thinking "as a homeowner it is"

has me worried this one i can tell ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭atsbury

Wind is starting to pick up in Wexford town at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Aer Lingus EI 381 on go around at Shannon will try one more approach before diverting to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Carvair

Dublin calm and quiet just now ... eerie!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭budweiser6

dharma200 wrote: »
    Wish I knew how to read those charts, but the smiley kind of tells me it's not looking good!!!
    Am defo going to spend a bit of time this year learning about all of this, these threads fascinate me.... And would love to be a weather watcher and know all the ins and outs and charts and predictions...

Me too... lurking here with 2 winters now and its addictive and wud be even better if I could really contribute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Aer Lingus EI 381 on go around at Shannon will try one more approach before diverting to Dublin

About to try its second approach!

Starting to get blustery here now (south Roscommon).

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭cabledude

South Wexford. 12 Miles from the coast. Not bad yet. Just a breeze and a little rain.

But this looks scary!!

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-11.03,54.25,3000

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Long night (and morning) ahead. I hope you've all had a good nights sleep last night!

Stay safe out there everyone. Hopefully the ME warnings will be listened to and we'll escape this without any loss of life or injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

About to try its second approach!

Think it's off to Dublin now after another go around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

going around again at shannon, divert now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

shamrock 385 also diverting to dublin from shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭Storm 10

fr336 wrote: »
    Think it's off to Dublin now after another go around

climbing diverting to Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Nothing in Kilkenny.

We havent gotten affected by any of the bad weather over the past month, and I doubt tonight will be an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Aestivalis wrote: »
    Nothing in Kilkenny.

We havent gotten affected by any of the bad weather over the past month, and I doubt tonight will be an exception.

Is Kilkenny mostly underground then?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Some of the gusts here seem to be already as strong as the ones we got on Tuesday night. North Tipp / Limerick border.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Wouldn't have wanted to be on board that flight, looked like the second approach was aborted fairly late. That will probably be it for Shannon now for a day or so, given how windy its gone up here in Mayo in the last half hour, it must be even worse on the Clare coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Is Kilkenny mostly underground then?

Winds have been a bit strong, but its nothing crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Near Ballyporeen for a few days. The storm has really begun to growl now! Heavy rain and blustery winds.
    Unfortunately my old station is no longer operating here, but I do have a little handheld anemometer that I might step out with on occasion!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I'm in Shannon now, extremely gusty the past few minutes. The last hour has went from fine to pretty bad out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

0txJ9GO.jpg?1

For posterity. First diversion of the storm!

Mod Note

These reports are more suited to the Aviation forum. They are detracting from discussing the weather models and the approaching storm

I have to say, technology is amazing, here I am on a hill near Westport, with Boards.ie weather open, plus listening to live ATC from shannon with a radar map of all air traffic around Ireland open to see what is going where. just heard that there is a Ryanaer decending towards Shannon...will he make it??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Aestivalis wrote: »
    Winds have been a bit strong, but its nothing crazy.

The storm is still out in the Atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

greenpilot wrote: »
    I have to say, technology is amazing, here I am on a hill near Westport, with Boards.ie weather open, plus listening to live ATC from shannon with a radar map of all air traffic around Ireland open to see what is going where. just heard that there is a Ryanaer decending towards Shannon...will he make it??

Ryanair up next ETA 17.35!

• Advertisement

0978 Hpa pressure now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement