Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Excellent conditions in Louth - 24 degrees, splitting the stones, blue skies and everyone's having a barbecue. Hate to break this to our southern friends but there you go...and who said that the weather forum was only doom and gloom!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

This storm seems worse than the xmas eve one
    already down here.
    I expect substantial damage in Cork by the morning with widespread blackouts.
    Thats of course if the models are correct which is as always a big if

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sarah Michelle Ryan

Weather in west Clare has started to get bad. Wind is getting stronger and its raining. I've a feeling were in for a bad one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

Clonakilty in west cork getting battered already!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

V_Moth wrote: »
    As of 17:00, Mace Head Weather Station has a gust of 52kt with Sherkin at 46kt.

Will be travelling on the early ferry from Dublin to Holyhead tomorrow morning (seasickness pills at the ready) - should be interesting!

Hope it goes ahead for you, my friends sailing from Holyhead in the morning has already been cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

already down here.

Bit early for that yet JS...when do you think peak time for corkonians is? Very blowy here with strong gusts! Hoping no roof slates come off. Wish I had a weather station to measure precisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Will be travelling on the early ferry from Dublin to Holyhead tomorrow morning (seasickness pills at the ready) - should be interesting!
    I thought the ferries were cancelled in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We have been lucky with the last two storms that the power just flickered or went for a few minutes, it is already getting as bad as Wednesday was but not as sustained yet, doubt we will be so lucky tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057050461&page=33

Flightradar thread for those interested.

Howling it down in Cork at the moment.. I know things are only getting ramped up but its wild already.

http://86.43.106.118/cobh-spike.html

Been keeping an idea on this site for Cobh and Spike island. Max gust of 47kt so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

According to this cam in eyre square the current weather is 6c and sprinkles! Yummy :p

http://46.137.167.201/webcam/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭corkcity

when is this storm due to hit .just the usual wind and rain here in cork at the moment ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

someone might have asked this earlier but when is the cork harbour area due to see the worst of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Xenji wrote: »
    Hope it goes ahead for you, my friends sailing from Holyhead in the morning has already been cancelled.

Thanks.
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    I thought the ferries were cancelled in the morning?

The Swift and MV Inishmore sailings have been cancelled all right. The Ulysses is made of larger sterner stuff!

Edit: Sailing updates - http://www.irishferries.com/uk-en/sailing-update/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

already down here.

We don't need the models anymore. A sat scan from earlier today confirmed what was developing out in the Atlantic, and it's only a few hours away from knocking on our door now.

1546169_621917734533628_1466487230_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

As of 17:00, Mace Head Weather Station has a gust of 52kt with Sherkin at 46kt.

The ferry will not be going before lunch I doubt

Bit early for that yet JS...when do you think peak time for corkonians is? Very blowy here with strong gusts! Hoping no roof slates come off. Wish I had a weather station to measure precisely.
    Around 5am.
    My prediction this morning was for a gust in cork over 90mph and I stand by that

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mojopolo

This website gives a picture of the potential windspeeds at various locations across Ireland and UK over the next couple of days:

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

n32 wrote: »
    someone might have asked this earlier but when is the cork harbour area due to see the worst of it?
    5am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Air pressure dropping steadily in Shannon. Roughly 1 hectare pascal every 15 to 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

corkcity wrote: »
    when is this storm due to hit .just the usual wind and rain here in cork at the moment ??

81km/h EICK

Increasing from now on, getting scary towards midnight an peak about 6am and some real fun thereafter.

But I think it running fast

• Advertisement

Red Nissan wrote: »
    81km/h EICK

Increasing from now on, getting scary towards midnight an peak about 6am and some real fun thereafter.

But I think it running fast

You think it's ahead of schedule?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

when do ye reckon the high point for the worst winds is for north kerry, hope all the farm sheds stay intact and the animals are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Excellent conditions in Louth - 24 degrees, splitting the stones, blue skies and everyone's having a barbecue. Hate to break this to our southern friends but there you go...and who said that the weather forum was only doom and gloom!

You might want to upgrade to a Celsius thermometer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

any idea of how high and how fast they will be around Salthill Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

You think it's ahead of schedule?

The current rain radar image matches almost perfectly with the hi res UKMO model's simulated radar for 6pm. I think the models have this nailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Maybe around 5am or after?

Things are really picking up in Galway now, hammering wind and rain.

The current rain radar image matches almost perfectly with the hi res UKMO model's simulated radar for 6pm. I think the models have this nailed.

Thanks Maq for all the updates and your observations to date. Very exciting to observe such an active piece of weather. Just hope all stay safe tonight and leave the Xmas celebrations until the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Would it be in any way possible for people to do some reading at all through the pages? All I can see is question after question of things that are being answered every 5 minutes. It's shoving valuable insight on the storm from MT, Maq, WC, Iancar etc back further and further which will be key tonight for people looking for information on the storm. Most questions have been answered. (Not wanting to back seat mod or anything btw.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Very strong wind and rain here in Cobh and its recycling bins that are due to go out tonight for 6am collection :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Henwin wrote: »
    when do ye reckon the high point for the worst winds is for north kerry, hope all the farm sheds stay intact and the animals are safe.

Would say most likely severe gusts by 9 or 10 pm, you might notice a slight drop in wind speeds for a while then picking up again towards 0300-0500h and then lasting for several hours, very gradual improvements later.

General note, there is still some range in potential outcomes as models have about a 10-15 knot range from slightly different pressure gradients. Track is pretty much locked in on all of them (low to move past Belmullet and Malin Head into central Scotland). The GME actually goes below 940 mb now, some of the others are a bit less extreme (high 940s). It would probably translate into 10-15 mph differences in maximum gusts rather than any shifts in patterns. The region around Cork city will definitely get very severe conditions, I am pretty certain that JS is correct in saying 90 mph gusts in the region, whether they happen at the airport there or somewhere else in the city remains to be seen. The way this has ramped up shows that Erich means business. Low centre is probably about 955 mb already and around 53N 17W.

RIP, M6 buoy, you did good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement