Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lightning strike in Donegal Airport has caused damage closing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

Flight into Shannon supposed to land at 4.40 this evening. Severe see-sawing while coming in to land on both attempts so diverted to Dublin.

No planes will be landing in Shannon anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭snowstorm2013

Strong gusts now hitting north sligo with a near gale force sustained wind. Rain started about an hour ago. This could be a rough night. I was surprised how quickly the wind speeds picked up...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

A station record gust of 93km/h at my Waterford City station in the last half hour :eek:

www.waterfordcityweather.com

A station record gust of 93km/h at my Waterford City station in the last half hour :eek:

I hope your power and annometer survive Mick :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

And so it begins... getting windy here in Dundalk now, just had a gust of 40kph

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Can aircraft fly over this storm in the Atlantic? The reason I ask is because a BOS5 jet is flying directly into it right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Villain wrote: »
    I hope your power and annometer survive Mick :)

So do i, i'm glued to it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Getting windy in Donegal now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Flan_Da_Man

Just drove into Cork city. Things really starting to pick up already. A lot of spot flooding around the city so be careful if your out driving.

Winds on the carrigrohane road by lee fields are already very strong. Difficult driving conditions.

Glad to be home. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Can aircraft fly over this storm in the Atlantic? The reason I ask is because a BOS5 jet is flying directly into it right now.

Yes. They can fly over it with little to no impact.

[-0-] wrote: »
    Yes. They can fly over it with little to no impact.

I was of the impression that aircraft had to avoid storms...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

And even before the initial blast of strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

You think it's ahead of schedule?

Not yet, but we'll see.

They do, but at 36,000 ft which that aircraft is at, they can safely fly above the storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Donegal airport shut due to lightening strike. Some ferries cancelled, RTE advising to keep up to date on travel plans. If you have to leave the house/drive do so very carefully. Also the map on the RTE news had the red warning wider spread on the country not just the counties on met.ie
    Perhaps an update coming from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

That are at the height they're on, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

It's definitely blowing out there alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Very strong wind here in south Limerick with sporadic rain mixed in. The trees are swaying like mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Watergrasshill just north of Cork City.
    Heavy rain and strong winds at this point.

Hope we avoid at least building damage. Left a stray dog in for the night. He looked like he was about to take off.

• Advertisement

Flights into Shannon now cancelled after three diverted flights to Dublin and one to Cork.

I'm not surprised, the wind is still picking up. The sound hitting my house from the estuary is impressive.

Good forecast by Met Eireann, she stressed the risk pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust of 50kmh here now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

We'll done to Siobhan Ryan with that forecast. Delivered perfectly.

Have there actually been any coastal flooding alerts/warnings issued for anywhere apart from the general threat of it mentioned in the forecast?

I surprised how windy it is here in the southeast already.

What were the highest gusts reached in a storm in Ireland? Just for comparative purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Sarah Michelle Ryan

Wind is 53km/hr in west Clare at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Already very gusty here

What were the highest gusts reached in a storm in Ireland? Just for comparative purposes.

181 km/h at Malin Head in 1961.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Have there actually been any coastal flooding alerts/warnings issued for anywhere apart from the general threat of it mentioned in the forecast?

Salthill seafront in Galway has been closed off apparently so I'd assume there's been an alert issued there.

Starting to pick up here, heavy driving rain and wind getting stronger, sustained force 6 now. Haven't heard and thunder though a lot of interference on tv and radio which would be explained by the reports of lightning at the airport.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement