Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Very windy in Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

Someone I know is about to leave in the next hour from Kilkenny heading to Waterford on the motorway. Should I warn them off coming?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

My brother is just in the door after driving from Limerick City to North Tipp, said he passed a tree down on the road with the Gardai redirecting traffic. Must be getting a bit wild!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Confirmed extreme storm development, 16.7 mb pressure drop in three hours at K4 buoy (outer Donegal Bay), satellite imagery now showing a clearer centre at 53N 18W, M6 buoy at 951 mb, so estimated central pressure 945 mb. This may be running about as intense as the worst of the GFS variants or the GME, could easily imagine a sub-940 reading at K4 and or M4 by 0300h at this rate.

Continue to stress potential for extreme wind gusts and storm surge.

Just to put that three hour pressure fall in some context, "back in the day" when we used to draw up our own maps, and plot pressure changes, it was standard practice to draw dashed lines over the pressure pattern to show equal lines of pressure falls. Anything over 10 mb (in three hours) was considered intense, and 15 mb extreme. I've only seen pressure falls this large with one storm, the Great Lakes superstorm of 26-01-1978 which is sometimes called the Ohio Blizzard of 78 or the Cleveland Superbomb. That one produced wind gusts to 170 km/hr about 100 miles southeast of the centre which achieved a record low pressure reading for stations along its track (e.g., Sarnia ON had 954 mbs, London ON had the extreme winds).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

some_dose wrote: »
    Someone I know is about to leave in the next hour from Kilkenny heading to Waterford on the motorway. Should I warn them off coming?

Should be ok coming down if they take care, but not if they plan on returning later to kilkenny later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Gust 51mph just now near Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭some_dose

wobbles wrote: »
    Should be ok coming down if they take care, but not if they plan on returning later to kilkenny later

Cheers. They won't be going back so that's ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

doommurphy.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

< Mod snip>

Latest radar and NNM surface pressure and winds overlayed.
    286055.png

I wonder if any of this ppn is falling as snow on the highest peaks about the country.

ALot to watch out for now on sat 24, some sferics popping up now close to the core of the low .
    www.sat24.com
    i have a feeling a roaring squall line to appear soon! #Braceyourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Pressure drop of 3.7 hPH in the last hour, reading of 970.3 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,191 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

http://earth.nullschool.net Move the globe around and zoom in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust of 40mph here in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Wow , just scrolled through nearly 4 pages of utter nonsense.... I see a few tag alongs have been blown in... pardon the pun . :rolleyes:

OK now staying on topic with a post with more than one sentence in it...

286055.png

I wonder if any of this ppn is falling as snow on the highest peaks about the country.

ALot to watch out for now on sat 24, some sferics popping up now close to the core of the low .
    www.sat24.com

...you were once a "tag along". I would call it enthusiastic interest. Now, back to your "more than one line posts". I'm off back to the aviation forums where we know nothing about weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Is Carlow city and county going to get a bashing? Very windy and rain here already and just want to know if it'll get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

greenpilot wrote: »
    ...you were once a "tag along". I would call it enthusiastic interest. Now, back to your "more than one line posts". I'm off back to the aviation forums where we know nothing about weather.

I think he's talking about some of the troll posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

off topic does anyone know what mondays storm will be like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

smurfjed wrote: »
    http://earth.nullschool.net Move the globe around and zoom in.

That's so cool!

I'm due to sail from Fishguard on Saturday, how does it look for then does anyone know please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Very different beast here compared to recent storms...SE winds are always the best bet for strong winds here, gusts already touching 50 knots I'd say. 50 knot gust at Dun Laoghaire harbour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭branie

s.m wrote: »
    off topic does anyone know what mondays storm will be like ?

I don't think there's a storm on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I see a couple of power outages in the west already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Wind is picking up here in howth!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

No question at this stage, this is serious. The initial gusts have already done more damage outside our house in Mayo than anything else so far this winter.

Spent the last hour out in it moving cars, removing loose debris and trying to secure some galvanize sheeting on a shed that has already come loose. If this is just the initial blast of a 20 hour storm, then this is one that is going to be remembered - and most forecasts show the worst of it being south of here in areas less used to this kind of wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Gust 68kph here in Naas now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Still a bit gusty in Galway but nothing yet like we've seen already

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

this is the area to watch on www.sat24.com for possible sting jet as the "tail" curls up.
    286057.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pawack

Islandbawn weather station in Howth recorded a 36 knot gust a few moments ago.I think thats around mid 60s in kph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Iancar29 wrote: »
    < snip>

www.sat24.com

4C and bitterly cold here so would expect more snow on the hills, nothing but rain here closer to sea level

50kph sustained now so bordering force 7, still no impressive gusts though I'm surprised how quickly the wind had picked up. A real horrible night with heavy driving rain

Breezy enough in Waterford lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

52 knot - 96 km/hr gust at Dun Laoghaire already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Sister is driving at 9pm from claregalway to ballyshannon donegal. Shes eager to get home as has worked three long days nursing and wants to get home to rest of us?? Hows bad will storm be on that route then??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement