Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

First plane I've heard in a while using runway 16 (crosswind runway) at Dublin Airport has just taken off. Would've fancy flying in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Very heavy rain here. Strong winds. Nothing strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

greenpilot wrote: »
    Here in Westport, wind deffo not the worst we have ever seen actually a bit if a lull atm. Worst to come?

Remember though the strongest winds are going to be in the southwest and south, this isn't going to be exceptional for the northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Lights flickering, fault in Mayfield already

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    South East Kerry to be more specific, Lights flickered for the 2nd time just now.

Yeah same here in East Kerry, 10mins from Killarney, gusty, lights dimming, neighbours switch tripped, hope there will be no power cut.... charging my phone, tablet and laptop just in case :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭buachailldana

Lights flickering now here in Carrigtwohill in East Cork, very strong gusts, AA tweeting excess surface water on N25 between J2 and J3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Winds gusting hard here in Kerry as the full force of the storm has been funneled up the Kenmare bay, expecting the ESB to go out soon as the lights are like Christmas lights flickering. This is a bad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Its bad in west cork very strong gusts lights flickering going to be a loooong night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 EdwardCastle

Heavy Gusty winds been easing off in Galway now.

Calm before the real stuff I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Seem to be in a transition between the first front and the main storm as of now, winds starting to pick up again currently 30 kts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Shannon radar offline just as we need it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

V rough now in cork city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Remember though the strongest winds are going to be in the southwest and south, this isn't going to be exceptional for the northwest.

But the red alert included Mayo and Galway and the winds seem to be easing off here.
    3 posters have reported a lull here in the past 15 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Lights flickering in Kilkenny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

wexford town: max gust 49.6kts temp dropping, waiting for round 2!

edit: pressure drop of 4.6hpa in the last hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Highest gust 40 kts (sheltered and only ten feet above ground) vantage vue reading. Highest this year. It's bad but still room to get much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

Lights flickering in Kinsale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

These are already the strongest winds here in south KK since 97. The roar of the wind from the trees outside is very rare for these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Tree down in Mayfield COIIA1 responding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Can someone please post the "earth wind map" link? I don't think it's been posted yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

There's been a noticeable lull in the storm here in mid Cork over the last 10 mins or so. The previous half hour saw some very intense gusts though.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I'm in Derry and this is probably the worst wind I've experienced in a long time. Already reports of power outages in Tyrone as well. Rough night. Peak around 2/3am?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

keith16 wrote: »
    Can someone please post the "earth wind map" link? I don't think it's been posted yet :)

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-12.19,50.72,1024

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

keith16 wrote: »

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-15.60,58.97,1962

• Registered Users Posts: 33,649 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Still relatively tame up here in North Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Esb knocked out for the second time here in West Limerick.

And this is only the appetiser yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Riverstick Co Cork. 100 m asl (approx).

Very high sustained pressure on south facing windows. I opened a sunroom window "for the craic"..... Em, wont be doing that again! Might as well open the door on a 747 in full flight... ha ha :)

Lights flickering too................

My garage access door is south facing... better unlock main garage door now for access later in case I need "jenny" later for electricity...

(It does sound scary outside now.... kids are watching movie and we've turned up surround system to block crazy winds... but it's hard to tell where bass is coming from!)...

I've a Maplin weather station too in packaging under the Christmas tree.... if only.,.... if only....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Lights flickering in Newport, North Tipp. Thankfully the dinner is out of the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Calming down a bit in Claregalway but the last hour was fairly bad, although not as bad as the first storm last week. Going out for pints now, expecting a rough taxi journey home!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement