Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Here we go with another deluge of rain

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

Dublin air traffic control said they have just started experiencing 60kph

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Greystones, Wicklow. Worst conditions I've seen here in a long time, cannot remember the wind roaring like this before. Our power goes here at a mere wind so we're getting as prepared as we can. All 14 dogs & cats unhappy, so glad I listened to the advice here & didn't drive to Meath tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

60 knot gust Dublin Airport 111Kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 40,032 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

At lot more clusters of power disruption just now than a few minutes ago.seems to back up that it's nasty in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'm fairly high up and south-facing in Cork City and it's really, really picked up in the last few mins again. Some very violent gusts.
    I've never heard our windows making 'cracking' noises before and a lamp in the garden (huge big cast iron thing) blew over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Its come and gone here now,when is the tide n?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So far its been worse here than the last storm in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

Picking up in Galway City again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Davaeo09

Worse of here in Kilkenny than before too! and it feels as if its only revving up!

Edit: very heavy rain here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

pad199207 wrote: »
    Gusts here in Kildare getting very strong now. Fence looks like it's about to implode, also Internet is getting very intermittent unusually. Anybody else having broadband issues?
    Recent gust on the Davis 77KPH!

No outages here yet Padd, mental winds, had to rescue a mini green house from taking flight though, secured with another few paving slabs, the Christmas recycling bins are out atm, full of beer cans, it could be embarrassing in they take a spill.

Latest gust of 52 km/h on my PWS, pressure dropping like a stone again -5.1 hPa in the last hour, now at 959.7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Don't know if it's wind related or not but iRadio just went off for a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

megapixel wrote: »
    Dublin air traffic control said they have just started experiencing 60kph

60 kph or 60 knots?

They have had gusts of 49 knots in the last hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Electricity flickered there, could be a dark night even in county Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This Ryanair flight just about to land in Shannon, will it make it? :-)

http://www.flightradar24.com/RYR1033

Maybe a separate thread should be opened for plane spotting? :confused:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I'm inside watching tv and heard a bang, the water butt full of water blew off its stand down the garden! Went out to get it very strong winds and lightish rain here in north dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Windows are taking a pounding tonight. On call tonight and hoping I don't have to go out. Would be hairy driving .

It's ferocious wind

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭megapixel

60 kph or 60 knots?

They have had gusts of 49 knots in the last hour.

Apologies I meant Knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

60kts at Dublin airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's no / almost no risk of high voltage supplies in urban areas going down as they're underground, but anywhere there's overhead local distribution (quite common in older suburban areas of Cork and Dublin) there's definitely risk of power outages.

If you're in a rural area, there are 20kV and 38kV overhead lines which can be knocked out quite easily taking out large areas as well as local 230/400V low voltage stuff to individual properties.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few areas of Cork City start to see outages in the next hour or so, the wind's really violent and there's probably going to be a few trees / branches down on top of local 230V/400V lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭winterwonder

The gusts are so strong here in West Cork, nothing to measure them except the hollowing wind and doors banging... getting really worried now, its definitely worse than 1997, only difference is that in 1997 it was during the day so we could actually see sheds being blown away and flying past the windows.......... (shudders at the thought of whats going on outside now) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

To Be Honest this is nuts.

Widespread trees down, traffic lights down, central control not taking calls, comms breakdown, local comms in effect working independently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well Home & Away fans will be delighted to hear that Dan Ewing has landed safe and sound into the country just a few moments ago! :pac:

Winds and rain have eased a bit here in Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Getting a bit concerned now for my station . It up on the shed roof !

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pawack

Islandbawn weather station in Howth has recorded a 89km gust recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Ok I'm here. Ready and waiting, no work obligations tomorrow. I could in theory put in an all-nighter. However I'm also aware it's Stephens day and I've been in the pub all afternoon. I can't in all honesty believe I'm gonna make it through the night. Maybe a power nap ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Lights gone for the third time this week..

My local station recorded 119kph the other day with only 80kph so far tonight so not as bad here yet

Edit: And just like that the lights are back again, I'll be surprised if they're still on by morning though

Red Nissan wrote: »
    To Be Honest this is nuts.

Widespread trees down, traffic lights down, central control not taking calls, comms breakdown, local comms in effect working independently.

Traffic lights down? Where did you hear that?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

107 kph recorded at Waterford Airport in the past hour and seems to get getting stronger.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Well Home & Away fans will be delighted to hear that Dan Ewing has landed safe and sound into the country just a few moments ago! :pac:

Winds and rain have eased a bit here in Tramore.

Thank God, I can sleep soundly tonight :-P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement