Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Gusting here again in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Well I support discussion on the services that are being affected by the weather like air diversions and power failures.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

I agree, it's all relevant as it's related to the weather event just as trees down and damage to buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

diceyd wrote: »
    can we stick to the weather updates please and not flights
    If that's a question, the answer is no. Those aren't just "flights", they are planes full of dozens people in genuine danger, if the pilots don't make the right choices about where to go and what to do.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

leahyl wrote: »
    picking up again in Cork City

Yeah it definitely seems to be getting tad more violent ... Although, it's been worse over the last couple of hours. It's started to rain a bit more heavily too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Very bad now again in cork

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

that was the 6 news i think, we've had a 120km gust since then!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Lanzarote flight now also diverting to Shannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Buzz84

I'm in North Kildare we seem to have missed the worst of the rain.

The winds seems to have calmed now. Is that the worst of it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Lanzarote flight now also diverting to Shannon!

Unfortunately, a small proportion of people on this thread deemed flight information like this irrelevant and henceforth discussion on it was limited by the mods. The vast majority of people are concerned about this as much as other factors involved in the storm, such as electricity etc. and rightly so.

• Advertisement

What's the likely pattern here on the south coast / Cork City area?
    /
    Should it die down for a while or will we just continue to get battered?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Why is the wind going down in Cobh but up in Spike which are just a few hundred meters from each other in Cork Harbour?

http://86.43.106.118/cobh-spike.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not as much of a roar here now. Has calmed a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

286102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The wind hasn't been too bad in the last hour near Limerick about half hour drive from Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

Latest from aa roadwatch
    National Summary Report
    Last Updated: 26/12/2013 21:54
    ROAD CONDITIONS

Winds are rising and it's raining heavily through parts of the south and west. Met Éireann has issued a RED ALERT for high winds in counties Wexford, Waterford, Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway and Mayo. There is significant danger of coastal flooding. An ORANGE ALERT for high winds has been issued for the rest of the country and these alerts are valid until 3pm Friday 27th.

LOUTH: Reports of a fallen tree and power lines on the Station Rd (R166) outside Castlebellingham. Road is impassible.

LEITRIM: There is a fallen tree in Fenagh near the Foxfield church. Be very careful on approach.

MEATH: A fallen tree is completely blocking the R150 near Bettystown Cross. Take an alternative route.

Reports of a fallen tree and power lines on the Duleek Rd at the cemetery

MAYO: There is a fallen tree blocking the Ballinrobe/Claremorris Rd (R331) near Ballinrobe Golf Club.

M7/TIPPERARY: Conditions are treacherous on the M7 Dublin/ Limerick road between Roscrea and Limerick. Strong winds and excess surface water. Slow down and take extreme care.

TIPPERARY: There is a fallen tree on the road to Garykennedy from Portroe. Avoid the area altogether. Another fallen tree, blocking R491 between Nenagh and Cloughjordan. Take an alternative route.

There's a fallen telephone pole on Ballingarry Rd two miles outside Borrisokane. Highly dangerous, avoid the area.

CORK: Persistent heavy rainfall across County Cork has resulted in excess surface water, in particular on the N20 Blarney Bypass and again between J3 Cobh and J2 Little Island and on the R617 just off the N20 coming into Blarney.

9 fallen trees in the Mallow/Michelstwon/Fermoy area.

CLARE: There are a number of trees down; the N68 Ennis/ Kilrush Rd is partially blocked between Ennis and Darragh, there is a tree down between Barefield and Spancilhill and another tree on the N67 Killimor Rd outside Kilrush.

WATERFORD: Extremely windy conditions and a lot of surface water on the N25 Cork/ Waterford Rd around Dungarvan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Clamball wrote: »
    Why is the wind going down in Cobh but up in Spike which are just a few hundred meters from each other in Cork Harbour?

http://86.43.106.118/cobh-spike.html

Maybe a more sheltered location as wind direction changes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Today: 98.2 km/h 9:40pm here in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,513 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Rain is absolutely hammering against the front of the house here in Lucan.
    Not sure I've ever heard it strike the window with this ferocity since I moved here in 2007.
    Wind doesn't seem to be as strong as earlier though.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭hats199

power gone in Kinsale. all my candle-gathering proved right!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Today: 98.2 km/h 9:40pm here in Carlow.

Yup and while my annometer is mounted above chimney as I'm in a frost hollow my location is far from exposed!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭partay pooper

pad199207 wrote: »
    Not as much of a roar here now. Has calmed a bit

the same in Portlaoise , I was terrified the windows would come in 30 minutes ago...altho it seems to be building back up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Pouring rain in Marino.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Think it's worth mentioning the ESB powercheck app again, let's you know where power is out and when they hope to sort it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Died down a bit now in Dalkey. Was impressive about an hour ago! 65 knots were just about touched I'd say. Could be worse still later (although sheltered to the SW to a certain extent).

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭corkcity

when is this BIG STORM supposed to hit cork????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

hats199 wrote: »
    power gone in Kinsale. all my candle-gathering proved right!

The ESB page doesn't seem to be loading more than half the posts of electricity gone that are here. And there is no way the totals on that map match the 10k that is on the independents paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Gusts getting very loud here just outside Wexford Town. Going to move the car away from the tree in the garden and try and shelter the bins so I won't have to go looking for them in the morning.

You wouldn't believe the change I was walking down on Curracloe today about 3pm and it was glorious, not a bit of wind and quite mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Just in the door from putting up downed cables on the north side of Dublin.
    Bit hairy going up a ladder,luckily it was a sheltered spot.
    I found the loose objects flying down the road more of a hazard than the wind.
    Rain into the face in that wind certainly stung.:D

• Advertisement

corkcity wrote: »
    when is this BIG STORM supposed to hit cork????

Sorta hitting already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement