Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭squonk

Red Pepper wrote: »
    We just stepped up a gear in West Galway, finally.

Yeah, just ramping up a new notch again in North Clare here in the last few minutes as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭royalflush2003

Lashing in south killiney and viloent gusts - time to burrow in!!!!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Will stick that in the till - might have enough for a 10c bar later.

God I miss 10c bars (well it was 10p in my day.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭pad199207

Oh lord were off again here now. Internet still down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

Kippure wrote: »
    Have we any current weather pictures in yet? Downed tree,s flooding etc :)

BccaaLwCQAAPbJv.jpg

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Now probably the strongest I remember hearing the wind in Cork city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

scrubber72 wrote: »
    What kind of wind speeds would be needed to lift roof off?

Don't be worrying, only a badly constructed or secured roof would be "lifted off". Very rare unless some other underlying cause (e.g. wood rot).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Usually love the sound of rain lashing against the window but this is scary. In a dormer house and can feel slight movement in the floor. Baby will be in our bed very soon. What kind of wind speeds would be needed to lift roof off?
    In kilcolgan co galway.

try the 12th floor of a high rise ;)
    im getting quite scared now

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

microsim wrote: »
    AA's Twitter feed is interesting.. fallen trees all over the place..

WEXFORD: Lots of reports of fallen trees around Wexford/New Ross/Enniscorthy. Gardaí are urging people to stay off the roads.

Had an interesting drive home earlier,part of it on rural back roads as bits of trees landed everywhere,got to the main road & one gust tried to push the car sideways into the ditch.Glad to be in out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

whitebriar wrote: »
    No it hasn't lol,I'm south of the town and its gusting to 50 MPH still
    its quiet here in woodlands just the odd gust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The Met should pbly extend the red alert nationwide
    Already lots of damage and the main course is going hours away yet

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Relatively calm in Sligo. What's the forecast like for here?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

Stepping up a notch now again in Craughwell galway. Just moved my car away from under a tree

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

120km'h gusts have being recorded at Waterford Airport in the last while, earlier highest was 107.

To sum up from AA
    WATERFORD: Reports of a trampoline "loose" near the Airport Rd roundabout due to the windy weather
    :D

Also believe city centre recorded the highest guest of wind ever. Think it was 93

My weather station is in a sheltered location so won't show ant extremes, but still high enough, fairly quiet right now.

vws1766.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I live in Wexford, its crazy here at the moment. tree has just fell down on the lane I live on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Just had to skip 15 pages of reading to get up to date! I'm between Sutton and howth and it's still breezy but seems to have calmed a bit? The rain pounded the window a few minutes ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

The wind has veered SW now in Dublin, its going to make it a bit more difficult landing at Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Flights to Shannon and Cork from Heathrow have been cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very sustained winds now in Galway with frequent violent gusts .....And this is only the beginning OMG:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Here in Tramore its much quieter. It seems to come in little bursts. Its quiet a while now but to be honest, it doesn't seem to have been that bad so far. Maybe its just because I am used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Got a gust of 64.4 Km/h there in Castlebar, first time it has gotten over 60 km/h since about 18.00, getting very wild out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Cork city or county?! Yeah gusty where I am as well in north cork though it did get quiet for about 30 mins.

West cork. About 30mins drive from city. Gusts are really strong. Goes quiet for a few mins then ramps up to crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The Met should pbly extend the red alert nationwide
    Already lots of damage and the main course is going hours away yet

Can't imagine it getting much worse! Just to clarify worst time for cork is..? Sorry imby but don't want to miss it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

May not be the snow that a lot of us are seeking but by god is it interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Reports of several accidents here in cork, mostly caused by fallen trees, plenty of localised flooding as well. It's going to be an interesting night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Well, I survived anyway.

For the first 20 minutes of driving the rain was so bad, I almost decided to turn back and give up. But luckily it subsided. After that, it wasnt so bad actually.

Driving conditions on the motorway are fine, and so are they in Kilkenny town. Backroads and national roads are a bit dodgy alright. If the wind and rain picks up again, you can forget it.

Came across a downed tree and powerlines all over the road near mullinavat backroads. Gardai were already notified so I just took a detour.

Saw the Fire Brigade were heading out the Bennetsbridge road from the town, so something must have happened out there. Possibly another tree down.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭nedsgarden

Local Met Station in Derry

Rough night here last 3 hours.

1900 Light Rain Showers 4.5 °C SE 22 mph 33 mph 13 km 978 hPa, Falling
    2000 Light Rain 4.8 °C SE 38 mph 54 mph 5 km 972 hPa, Falling
    2100 Heavy Rain 4.3 °C SE 46 mph 61 mph 3.3 km 965 hPa, Falling
    2200 Heavy Rain 4.5 °C SE 45 mph 68 mph 3.7 km 962 hPa, Falling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Lived on the top of this exposed hill in North Cork for nearly 10 years and this is by far the strongest wind I've ever experienced.

No rain right now but strong strong wind.
    I can hear the neighbour trying to hammer some of his fences back in place, no idea why he doesn't just leave them until the morning.

Watergrasshill, Cork.

The stray dog I took in is curled up under the rad and looks like he could be difficult to displace tomorrow once the storm passes. I might have a new lodger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Incredible wind in Arklow. The dog is terrified and hiding under the Christmas tree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement