Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

was horrendously stormy here since mid evening. Then without warning, it all stopped and went quiet... Methinks the worst is yet to come.

Just spoke to a family member working in Dublin airport and all is going well there. The wind is more or less in line with the active runway so no problems expected unless wind direction shifts significantly, particularly for the wide bodied transatlantics due in early tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Dundalk has settled down quite a bit. I was outside 1 hr ago and all 15.5 stone was nearly airborne. I don't remember a storm so strong in all my 44 yrs!

No doubt there will be pleanty of firewood ripe for the picking in the morn so have your chansaws ready to rip.

Stay safe out there folks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The stray dog I took in is curled up under the rad and looks like he could be difficult to displace tomorrow once the storm passes. I might have a new lodger.

Well done.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

First power outage of the night in the southeast, just south of Kilkenny.

Ferrybank?

I heard emergency services were heading over towards there, a friend saw a massive blue flash in the sky - power cables down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

I know this a red alert and all that but I much preferred the storm force 10 of hurricane warnings, can anyone tell me what it is in old money?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Power went briefly here in Cavan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sully wrote: »
    Here in Tramore its much quieter. It seems to come in little bursts. Its quiet a while now but to be honest, it doesn't seem to have been that bad so far. Maybe its just because I am used to it.

120KPH gust in Tramore airport Sully :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,722 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

michellie wrote: »
    Ferrybank?

I heard emergency services were heading over towards there, a friend saw a massive blue flash in the sky - power cables down?

Belview I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

michellie wrote: »
    Ferrybank?

Belview. Appears to have been restored now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

The wind is getting close to the crosswind limits of most aircraft at Dublin now.

220/30G41kts now 36kt xwind on RWY16 and it would be the same on RWY28

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Can someone throw up that link to the earth wind map:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

While where i am in south kerry seemed to take off again after a short lull a few hours ago, it seems that we may be sheltered locally from a slight change in direction. While I can hear gusts every now and again, they are not hitting the house. For the moment anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Incredible wind in Arklow. The dog is terrified and hiding under the Christmas tree.
    i must be down in a hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

What time roughly is this expected to peak?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Kippure wrote: »

It's been a few pages I guess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Belview. Appears to have been restored now.

Good stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Storm wind speeds are getting higher and higher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

If only someone would invent a way to search the internet using terms like earth wind map. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Smidge wrote: »
    Power went briefly here in Cavan

Where are you in Cavan. North of the town and still not a flicker?? Wind has died off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-8.11,51.39,3000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=6.04,47.96,1087

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Maximum gust 41 knots 47.18 mph Starting up again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

If only someone would invent a way to search the internet using terms like earth wind map. :P

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=earth+wind+map

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Galway1989

Wild enough here in the Tuam area. The lights are flickering..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Two planes on top of each other off the Cork coast.How accurate is Flightrader24

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

http://earth.nullschool.net/#2013/12/27/0000Z/wind/isobaric/850hPa/orthographic=-8.00,32.52,352

Thats for midnight.

hint: click on Earth to see the controls > and >> are fast forward 3 hours and a day respectively. You can also zoom in etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The south west coast is about to get hammered.:eek: Winds of 164kph off the coast mental stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

MidMan25 wrote: »

you beat me to it :D

South Wexford coast.

Just in from walking the dog. I've never experienced wind like this. Was headed towards the beach but wind was blowing me back and we had to turn back. Couldn't see the water but there is some roar from what sounds like an angry sea.

Back inside and it sounds like window is going to blow in the windows. Mental wind!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The met.ie radar seems to not be working fully still strangely enough it still is on the uk radar for anyone that wants to use it......not as good but better than nothing.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement