Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

loubian wrote: »
    Just had to skip 15 pages of reading to get up to date! I'm between Sutton and howth and it's still breezy but seems to have calmed a bit? The rain pounded the window a few minutes ago!
    Im not to far away from you,yeah calmed down for now & rain ,which was heavy for a while has stopped but got some very strong gusts earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Two planes on top of each other off the Cork coast.How accurate is Flightrader24

Not very. Tends to be very glitchy, and out of time.
    Sometimes shows planes on the ground, so those 2 planes just may be very close to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

The stray dog I took in is curled up under the rad and looks like he could be difficult to displace tomorrow once the storm passes. I might have a new lodger.

There's an old tradition that if you take in a stray dog on St Stephen's Day that you have to keep them forever or the storm won't abate. :D You'll be well rewarded with love, drool and fleas and more love I'm sure. :D

Kippure wrote: »
    Can someone throw up that link to the earth wind map:)

This one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Lightning just off the coast .

286119.png

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Flickers here in Longford north area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

extremely windy here in Athy, has been for hours, when it dies down it only dies down down for 5 - 10 min max.
    rain is intermittent
    thankfully I nailed everything down earlier, including the dog

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 confused1986

There's an old tradition that if you take in a stray dog on St Stephen's Day that you have to keep them forever or the storm won't abate. :D You'll be well rewarded with love, drool and fleas and more love I'm sure. :D

This one?

Is there an app for this? Doesnt come up well on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I know this a red alert and all that but I much preferred the storm force 10 of hurricane warnings, can anyone tell me what it is in old money?

Well we've had gusts of storm force 12 (Hurricane force) here in Waterford, that's anything 118kph.

The scale is of course mean wind speeds though so force 10 is between 89 to 102 kph. Mean speeds are currently pushing force 9 I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    i must be down in a hole
    woodlands would be yes...
    Wind here near Arklow has lightened a lot in the last half hour but is still gusting gale force and is noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 NinjaN

Barometer on my weather station is now 955.7hPa
    (At 5pm, this was 979!)

Highest wind gust 58.7km/hr at 9.15pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Wind is starting to pick up again in Charleville. Still no power - lost it a while back, has flickered on a few times since but is still down now. Does not sound like it's raining that heavily - was definitely rougher earlier.

Have about an hour of computer time left but probably less of wireless internet so not sure how much of this I'll get to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

I'd be happy to, so would the smally... Wife on the other hand. I might need to bribe her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Gusts on par now with last Wednesdays event in Castlebar now, just had one just shy of 75 k/mh

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭manutd

A lot of trees down in Cavan. ESB out. Also a lot of surface water on roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Just heard that part of the roof over the main entrance to the CUH in cork has blown off. Access only by the A and E entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Strong winds starting to crank up again. Less gusty than when the cold front passed over, more sustained now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very violent now in Galway as the showers come in worst storm so far by a mile and its only the beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

and things now starting to pick up properly in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

manutd wrote: »
    A lot of trees down in Cavan. ESB out. Also a lot of surface water on roads.

Where in Cavan are you? Nothing out north of town

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

rameire wrote: »
    extremely windy here in Athy, has been for hours, when it dies down it only dies down down for 5 - 10 min max.
    rain is intermittent
    thankfully I nailed everything down earlier, including the dog

I really hope you dont have your dog outside in this , even if it has a kennel or not! :eek: :( :mad:

Tail starting to grow on sat24 , be aware west coasters!

http://www.sat24.com/uk/gb?ir=true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blobbyblob

Reports of roofs off in Dundalk and a chimney down in Ballybeg, Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

Ive lost two fence panels, and a host of toys in the garden (playhouse, sandpit) being blown around.
    ran out to tie down the trampoline and I was hit by flying ivy strands!!
    Seems somewhat calmer right now, but rain is coming now. ....from north dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'd be happy to, so would the smally... Wife on the other hand. I might need to bribe her.

Get her a weather station...be grand ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭rameire

Iancar29 wrote: »
    I really hope you dont have your dog outside in this , even if it has a kennel or not! :eek: :( :mad:

Tail starting to grow on sat24 , be aware west coasters!

http://www.sat24.com/uk/gb?ir=true

he ( bumblefritz ) is inside and has been for hours, fast asleep snoring his head off, like there was nothing happening.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

whitebriar wrote: »
    woodlands would be yes...
    Wind here near Arklow has lightened a lot in the last half hour but is still gusting gale force and is noisy.

I'm south of the town and it's still pretty bad here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Not too windy in Galway (east) so far. Just a few soothing howls down the chimney now and again. Latest wind forecast map from met.ie for 1am.

286121.gif

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

106997_o.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭netbeatz

Are conditions to worsen? In Waterford City and while it was very stormy it has quietened alot. Can we expect worse for this area as the night goes on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Two planes on top of each other off the Cork coast.How accurate is Flightrader24

Are you aware that planes fly in 3 dimensions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The wind seems to have veered more southerly in Cork City or am I way off?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement