Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Wind gusting on and off here in Douglas (west)south side of Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

I really don't get the insistence here on rigidly sticking to weather and weather alone here. This is a severe storm - why shouldn't the consequences of that severe storm be discussed ? Should all the emergency services posts be moved to the emergency services forum ? What about any posts mentioning ships - confine to the transport forum ? Reports of utilities going down are not strictly weather related either. There's clearly an appetite within the forum for discussion of the various effects of this storm IMO. By all means have a thread for the pure science of the weather itself if needed but there should be a place to discuss the storms consequences too.

Just about an hour ago an Aer Lingus Airbus made 2 attempts to land at George Best City Airport, Belfast, then he seemed to loss the plot and went on some mad tour out Belfast Lough and then back over the airport, without even making any atempt to loss height, back out the Lough again, up the Antrim coast, back out into the North Channel. At that stage I assumed he was going to go to Glasgow, but no, he turned inland again, back south down the Antrim coast, then back up it again, then he headed for Belfast International Airport and over flew it a couple of times, making no attempt to loss height. He must have declared an emergency, because there were 3 Eastjet planes stacked and even then it took him three goes to land, fair play to him, but I have a feeling that it might have been then or never, as he must have used well over twice the fuel he would have needed for the flight from London, can't remember which one to George Best City. I am sure there was a huge round of cheers when the wheels hit the runway.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Tigerbaby

thanks to all the Emergency Services and ESB staff working in these appalling conditions. Be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Harps wrote: »
    Anyone know what the max gust recorded is so far?

A lot of dramatic reports so far but the highest I've seen is 64kts which is slightly less than was recorded here in the 'non-event' the other day

65kts in Waterford so that's surely been beaten somewhere else, Of course Kinsale energy has had 72kts! Worst is to come of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Whens the worst gonna hit?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

sky dish gone. literally.
    co.kilkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Was out for a walk on the portmarnock/malahide coast this morning. The sun was shining and the sky was clear. Could not see this on the horizon. Mad how quickly things can change! I'm ignoring everyone in the house trying to keep up to date with this thread! Haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Getting very wild and noisy here near Ashbourne - scary if you were flying into Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

rain lashing down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

2300 reports out. Higest Gust 65KTS at Sherkin and Mace Head. 950hpa now at Belmullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Mace head now showing a mean of 50kts.

kerrywez wrote: »
    Just about an hour ago an Aer Lingus Airbus made 2 attempts to land at George Best City Airport, Belfast, then he seemed to loss the plot and went on some mad tour out Belfast Lough and then back over the airport, without even making any atempt to loss height, back out the Lough again, up the Antrim coast, back out into the North Channel. At that stage I assumed he was going to go to Glasgow, but no, he turned inland again, back south down the Antrim coast, then back up it again, then he headed for Belfast International Airport and over flew it a couple of times, making no attempt to loss height. He must have declared an emergency, because there were 3 Eastjet planes stacked and even then it took him three goes to land, fair play to him, but I have a feeling that it might have been then or never, as he must have used well over twice the fuel he would have needed for the flight from London, can't remember which one to George Best City. I am sure there was a huge round of cheers when the wheels hit the runway.

Regards Wez

God, fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,899 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I'm off to bed hoping I can sleep through it all

I doubt it thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Mech1

switching runways again at Dublin wind shifted since earlier

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Xenji wrote: »
    Would actually like to know how big the parish of Islandeady is, seems to go on forever :pac:

V big :D Must be 10 miles wide anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

There's a couple of 65kt gusts on the 2300 met.ie report.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Ok I actually ran from my bedroom there cos I thought the window was going to come in on me!!! The curtains are actually moving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Recording sustained windspeeds of 32km/hr gusting to 47km/hr.

Starry sky but some horizontal rain being driven in.

Winds are swinging around to South Westerly from the previous South Easterly direction.

Really starting to pick up here now.

Electricity lost 4 times this evening.

Trees and Eircom lines down locally.

West Limerick.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

One or two "wife worrying" gusts there. Would put it at about 80% as bad now as last week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 EdwardCastle

Hard to believe but there is actually a few trawlers at sea tonight.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Very sustained wind and feroious gusts in Galway city and no lull since it started this is scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Sky signal gone. Gusting 75kph - 90kph in the Northwest. Heavy squall rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

Constant high wind's here last few minute's.Douglas cork.I wish I had a weather station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

leahyl wrote: »
    Ok I actually ran from my bedroom there cos I thought the window was going to come in on me!!! The curtains are actually moving

Just had a very similar experience here! I can feel the breeze inside the house now and it's quite modern and all the vents are closed as are the windows. Not sure where it's getting in!

leahyl wrote: »

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Hard to believe but there is actually a few trawlers at sea tonight.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/

There just asking for trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Northside of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

wideangle wrote: »
    Constant high wind's here last few minute's.Douglas cork.I wish I had a weather station.

not the only one.

northside of cork city, i can't remember the last time i heard a wind this scary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭minktrapper

testicle wrote: »
    Are you aware that planes fly in 3 dimensions?

Must get on to that clown that told me that planes had wheels to fly along the ground.:D ;) That is why Ireland has so many new motorways.:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What's really starting to worry me is that I'm surrounded by 200+ ft high deciduous trees and I've never seen them move like this before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement