Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Wind Storm late 26th-27th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Aestivalis wrote: »
    Not very. Tends to be very glitchy, and out of time.
    Sometimes shows planes on the ground, so those 2 planes just may be very close to each other.

I hope there not.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Strong winds still in Greystones but nothing like earlier. Dogs & himself all passed out downstairs in front of the fire. Think I've worn them out talking about it all day. Cats on the other hand are all running about like mad here upstairs & staring at the velux windows moving. So us felines are going to retire to the bedroom to watch the storm over the sea through the balcony windows with phone so we can keep updated. Happy days.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

According to the latest MetE reports, there is 21hPa difference between Johnstown Castle and Belmullet - a distance of around 300km. Mad...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,501 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Bsal wrote: »
    There just asking for trouble

For many of them it is better off trying to ride out the storm than risk getting wrecked on the coast while trying to port. Wouldn't fancy being on the sea tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What's really starting to worry me is that I'm surrounded by 200+ ft high deciduous trees and I've never seen them move like this before.

Have they ivy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Well Damien Tiernan said on RTE that there were 12 metre waves off Tramore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

Hard to believe but there is actually a few trawlers at sea tonight.

http://www.marinetraffic.com/

Most of them are hiding or heading to hide somewhere though, Galway fisher off Baltimore must be getting knocked around!

The wind stopped for about 30 mins here in north dublin but its starting to pick up again, the dogs kennel blew down the garden earlier! Dog is asleep in the kitchen thank god:)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭wonder88

I find it strange that the 2 trawlers are heading out from Killybegs now in this storm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Have they ivy?

No, they're in good condition generally and were all recently pruned. So, fingers X'd!

More worryingly my telephone and UPC lines both run overhead straight through one of them! So, if I disappear you know why!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Phase two definitely getting into full flow in the west now. The positive is that, with the wind direction switching to south westerly, it is now blowing onto structures that have proven their ability to deal with high winds in the past. The earlier south easterly winds tested some normally sheltered areas and caused us a few issues here. The south westerlies feel more manageable even if the wind speeds are higher than before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Wind sounding really vicious and gusty now - West Limerick, slightly sheltered, never heard it quite so bad before. Seems to be coming mostly from the south and blowing through the gaps in the front door. Stuff shifting about outside that's never budged before. Would like to get some sleep!

However, the telly, broadband and elecrics still working OK. Thank you ESB for putting up some decent poles around here a while back :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 EdwardCastle

wonder88 wrote: »
    I find it strange that the 2 trawlers are heading out from Killybegs now in this storm

Yeah, I saw that, heading away from Killybegs. The swell must be mountainous out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,155 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

wonder88 wrote: »

George Clooney fans no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭wideangle

The rain has just started,wind died down a bit for now.Douglas Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Power outages around Galway now

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Serious strong gusts now in Marino. Seem to be the strongest I have seen here all winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bobfromcork

I was out in the back garden in the last few minutes. All was fine!! Light wind - some rain - Togher on the southside of Cork City

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Kippure wrote: »
    Can someone throw up that link to the earth wind map:)

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=-3.07,51.59,376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

SpaceTime wrote: »
    What's really starting to worry me is that I'm surrounded by 200+ ft high deciduous trees and I've never seen them move like this before.

200ft high trees? :confused: You in Colorado?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭Bsal

Dublin airport is effectively closed now, no aircraft can land or depart with the current winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

Wind is very audible now in the south of Limerick, the rain is still sporadic though, I did expect it to be wetter, I'm glad it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I was out in the back garden in the last few minutes. All was fine!! Light wind - some rain - Togher on the southside of Cork City

You're probably a bit more sheltered there than many parts of the city as the wind's coming in from the S/SW so the hills are protecting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,192 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I agree with the first Arklow poster, light breeze and no more rain in Aughrim Co Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Xenji wrote: »
    Power outages around Galway now

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

Saying the fault is in Salthill, but we are still on. Hopefully it will stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Yeah, I saw that, heading away from Killybegs. The swell must be mountainous out there.

Getting out before the storm hits I would guess. Otherwise there till it passes. Hope Clooney is onboard!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Light wind???
    You kidding us mate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭stooge

Serious gusts here in SC roscommon. Wind coming from a slightly different direction now which is worrying as its the exposed side of the house. Black bin out tonight for collection in the morning (if its still there!). If it gets worse than this there will surely be some bad damage locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

A full level 1 issued for all of Ireland by estoxfex for tomorrow

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2013122806_201312262142_2_stormforecast.xml
    A LVL1 was issued for UK and Ireland mainly for severe wind gusts.

...UK and Ireland...

During the morning and afternoon hours, the cyclone moves across the northern parts of the British Isles and some low-end instability in the wake of the cold front may lead to showers and thunderstorms which are likely to produce severe wind gusts in the given kinematic environment. As mentioned before, isolated tornadoes are not so uncommon for such a situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A very very wild night with sustained ferocious gusts in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Lowest pressure ever recorded, and still falling.

286124.png

Current wind - 80 km/h

www.joujoujou.com/weather

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement